What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

14 hours ago, Charlie_Brown said:

Cylinder on the clutch went out. I'm thinking it's the master since I can see where something has leaked around the firewall of it. Carpet dry though. Checked slave and seemed fine but who knows. Once master is swapped we will see for sure. Bummer

Just a thought here, if I remember correctly the slave cylinders are fairly cheap so you might consider just replacing them both together and then you shouldn't have to deal with it again for a very long time.

15 hours ago, RedPath88 said:

Just a thought here, if I remember correctly the slave cylinders are fairly cheap so you might consider just replacing them both together and then you shouldn't have to deal with it again for a very long time.

They are super cheap and something I've been considering doing. 

As for how well the aftermarket ones are built I'd be interested if you adamzam had any suggestions for the better brands or if your opinion is they all suck and for what reasons. I'd prefer not to buy a slave I can get for I think k ifs 12 dollars max (could be remembering wrong obviously) on RA for 35$ from stealership. I mean it's just a cylinder after all, not a lot to go wrong if at least one company is using good parts.

While waiting for parts tore apart the dash to check out the guess job wiring P/O did for the stereo. Wasnt as messed up as I had thought it was originally. The deck is ruined (and refuses to turn off no matter what you do aside from cut power wire from it completely) but I have a new one I got for free anyways. Amp either isnt wired correctly or is ruined as well. New deck wouldnt play through amp, only played when I bypassed it on a seperate speaker. Gonna have to check more wiring and hopefully not have to get a new amp or tear apart doors to check speakers. I mean come on though, all 4 speakers being completely gone along with the deck itself? That would be beyond shocking.

Upcoming projects I'm announcing to get myself in gear more or less to hold myself to, build a fold down table on the tire carrier for camping and jerry can holder (for possible Alaska trip in the summer). Get that damn temperature guage to work and realign/level the truck. Realistically not a lot to do if I were more motivated and closer to the majority of my tools.

@Charlie_Brown I know Adam has had some bad experiences with aftermarket parts, and there is definitely some validity to that. However I replaced my slave cylinder with an aftermarket offering from ,I believe Napa, sorry I don't know exactly what brand it was, six and a half years ago. That same slave cylinder is in my truck now and operating just fine. This is just my unique case and as with Adam, YRMV.

Stealership is called stealership for a reason, we all know why and have our stories. I might call them and get a price for OEM to see if it's worth it but odds are I'll just get an aftermarket. Like I said it's just a hydraulic cylinder. How bad can you mess it up? Lol

Parts companies to avoid: Dorman, mevotech, cardone, moog (used to be good but now is crap). If I have to get aftermarket I try and use beck/arnley as half the time it’s an oem looking part in the box. Or ACDelco as their parts are usually okay.

Ive never had a bad oem part from Nissan, or VW for my golf. The way I look at it is, if it’s something that will leave me stranded, I’m willing to pay the extra cost for the part that lasted 20+ years.

Just been my experience working on cars for 15 years and owing a pathfinder for 14 of those.

Edited by adamzan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Parts companies to avoid: Dorman, mevotech, cardone, moog (used to be good but now is crap). If I have to get aftermarket I try and use beck/arnley as half the time it’s an oem looking part in the box. Or ACDelco as their parts are usually okay.

Ive never had a bad oem part from Nissan, or VW for my golf. The way I look at it is, if it’s something that will leave me stranded, I’m willing to pay the extra cost for the part that lasted 20+ years.

Just been my experience working on cars for 15 years and owing a pathfinder for 14 of those.
I agree 100%

Mr Cox 96R50-97JR50

21 hours ago, adamzan said:

Good to know, I'll remember that when looking into a replacement parts in the future.

Got stereo working and since I've never had it work before today was the day I realized I only have 2 speakers. I dont plan on going crazy with a sound system at this point but having 4 speakers is something I'd like especially since I have 2 extras laying around (nothing special). Thing is I have 4 speaker wires so I'm curious to where those are leading to. Not the passenger doors I know that much.

Gathered more bits and parts for upcoming projects like adding D rings to the sides in the back to tie down an ice chest and what not

Anyone else have the problem between work, weather and the old lady you cant get a damn thing done on your truck? Trying to get things started and finished within an hour these days. Master and slave cylinder are pulled off and new ones ready to go in. Gotta wait for tomorrow morning to wake up earlier just to finish the damn job that should be done tonight. 

Been dipping d rings in flex seal that I plan to mount in the cargo area along the side walls to tie down ice chest and camping @!*%. 

Traced out tire carrier on cardboard to finally make my damn table.

All of this is on back burner, next weekend is the old lady's birthday -_- this is why summer is better, good weather and longer days to work

• Like 1

Anyone else have the problem between work, weather and the old lady you cant get a damn thing done on your truck? ......this is why summer is better, good weather and longer days to work

Been dipping d rings in flex seal that I plan to mount in the cargo area along the side walls to tie down...

Traced out tire carrier on cardboard to finally make my damn table.

Yep, that’s why my truck has been sitting untouched in the garage for a month.

Why the flex seal? I just did mine in stainless.

REALLY interested in your idea of a fold down table on the tire carrier. Please post a write up. We are about to do 4 post facelift swingate retrofits up here in the PNW &!I would LOVE to put a fold down table on more mine!

• Like 2

5 hours ago, RainGoat said:

Yep, that’s why my truck has been sitting untouched in the garage for a month.

Why the flex seal? I just did mine in stainless.

REALLY interested in your idea of a fold down table on the tire carrier. Please post a write up. We are about to do 4 post facelift swingate retrofits up here in the PNW &!I would LOVE to put a fold down table on more mine!

I've dipped them in flex seal so when they are not being used the banging and rattling around is less. Same idea as the rubber grommets (though much thicker than my flex seal coating) people put on their D rings on their bumpers.

I can post a write up and some pictures though honestly I'd be suprised if anyone would want to copy my plans since they will be fairly crude and done with some scrap metal I have laying around.

Got the slave and master cylinder installed before leaving to work. Once I get back on Friday going to add fluid, bleed and tighten as necessary

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 11:32 AM, RainGoat said:

Are these the cargo floor ones you’re talking about or something else? I thought you meant something like this 5916c1035c53ba654dbc02f9884a5f71.jpg

Nah I have loose d rings that swivel up and down. The wd21 has the same kind of d ring on the floor of the cargo area. Though if I had some eye bolts I would have probably went that route instead.

Today mama got some new shoes! Replaced the almost worn out General AT2's with Falken Wildpeak AT3W's. Oddly enough had to step down to 255/70's, as the 265/70 Falkens hit the coil bucket, whereas the Generals were a tight fit when new, but never touched. The new 255's have just slightly more clearance than the 265 Generals had when they were new. Luckily the shop was cool about it. Certainly demonstrates the differences between manufacturers. I'll get some pics in the daylight and should be able to give a full review within a week, as we're expecting everything, sun, heavy rain, sleet, snow & ice, over the next 5 days.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, PathyDude17 said:

Nice! I’m getting the same tires this weekend (32x11.5-R15), hopefully they both treat us well

Had an inch or 2 of snow last night, roads were pretty slick this morning, the new Falkens handled great! Very grippy! Plenty more weather coming this weekend, but so far so good!

• Like 3

hi guys, what is did last week, installed 1" spacers all around (SFCreation), rear shocks from Gabriel Ultra G force, replaced timing belt, some Polly, transmission fluid, fixed coolant leak, valve cover gaskets, temperature sensor, replaced some vacuum hose, spark plugs and cables.   

• Like 2