What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Had a no-start issue crop up last weekend (in the middle of moving).

No click at all when I turned the key to try and start it after filling i with fuel. :(

After checking all the cheap and easy stuff, it turned out to be the starter. Took 4 days to get the part, but it's back on the road again. :aok:

Installed Pyle 5.25" speakers in the rear in place of the factory speaker boxes. I am going to need to bypass the amp to get them working, but ran out of time today.

Made a cheap awning. Version 1 works but getting ideas for version 2 so 1 person can do it. e08fff4cbb13bf7e22ee6e7b21ae544f.jpg1939862da6a243f2fd6ac57b048659ef.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks good! Is it just a tarp and some poles?

Made a cheap awning. Version 1 works but getting ideas for version 2 so 1 person can do it. e08fff4cbb13bf7e22ee6e7b21ae544f.jpg1939862da6a243f2fd6ac57b048659ef.jpg

How big does that measure? I'm interested in doing something like this on my rig for camping and fishing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Two 'fun' things after school:

1. Friend of mine started his 3rd Dakota to let it warm up. When he closed the door it locked. Apparently this was an issue he knew about but only happened occasionally. Luckily I had time, so I drove him home and back to school to get the spare.

2. It was raining by the time I was able to head home, and some jack#*& in a VW Golf was on the ramp behind me. It was a long curving ramp. He nearly spun out, and I thought it was an accident. Still made me nervous to be around him since it was front wheel drive and I was rwd and having no trouble...he did it two more times, and then once we were on the highway he whipped around me, probably close to 100mph in heavy traffic in the rain...I'm real glad I didn't lose my Q today!

• Like 1

Discovered my lightbar is in fact not busted! The previous owner mounted the relay to the side of the fender pretty exposed, and it got wet one too many times. I put the new relay in the open spot in the relay box, so hopefully it stays dry from now on. It feels good to be bright again.

• Like 1

I found a padded cover for my ammo can console from a Lexus ES300. Getting classy up in here. I mean, yeah, it's going on an ammo can mounted with bedframe, but still. Nothing says luxury like not smashing your elbow.

And then I found a rat with hooves on my way home. Dumb blighter was standing in the other lane, looking towards the shoulder, and decided at the last minute to turn around and throw itself in front of me. One broken signal, one broken driving light, and of course the bumper jammed the fender into the tire, but it doesn't look like anything too important got hurt. I'll pull it straight tomorrow, and start thinking more seriously about building a better bumper.

I found a padded cover for my ammo can console from a Lexus ES300. Getting classy up in here. I mean, yeah, it's going on an ammo can mounted with bedframe, but still. Nothing says luxury like not smashing your elbow.

And then I found a rat with hooves on my way home. Dumb blighter was standing in the other lane, looking towards the shoulder, and decided at the last minute to turn around and throw itself in front of me. One broken signal, one broken driving light, and of course the bumper jammed the fender into the tire, but it doesn't look like anything too important got hurt. I'll pull it straight tomorrow, and start thinking more seriously about building a better bumper.

Hopefully it's just cosmetic damage. You never know until you try to fit straight panels back on, but I hope there's nothing underneath bent up. Nothing like breaking stuff to find an excuse to upgrade!

On Friday I mounted my roof rack lower and more securely so I now feel comfortable strapping the spare up there. Yesterday I did some painting on the nerf bars (not happy; Westin was supposed to be good, but it's only been a year and a half and they're already rusting) and trimmed the fenders so the tires don't rub anymore. I now need to get an ORV flag by Saturday so I can go to Rocks and Valleys ORV Park with my 4x4 club.

What is the purpose of the ORV flag? Is that a legal requirement?

It's a requirement of the park (it's privately owned). the difficulty is that it needs to be 2ft above the highest point, and my roof rack is almost 7 feet off the ground, not to mention the spare which brings it up to about 7'2". The mounting point on my bumper is 2'4" off the ground, and all I can find is 6 foot flags. I might have to call that close enough and see what they say about it. I have a flag, but it doesn't have a bolt on the end, so I need to figure out how to attach it. I also need it for Silver Lake dunes.

Called about getting my rear diff rebuilt because I just don't have the time to do it myself right now. Their "10+" year tech told me that "I just wouldn't be happy with the result" and that "They just don't do that kind of work over here." Wtf is that? Didn't even mention I also wanted them to do my clutch, I just hung up.

Dealerships usually don't rebuild things, they replace. Most of a dealerships work is warranty work, and warranty only pays for new parts, not rebuilt. So dealership mechanics usually don't get much experience with rebuilding.

The time I worked at a dealer I only did one rearend. Did about a 100 head gaskets though. The Triton's had head gasket problems on the early ones.

Did some really hardcore wheeling today at Rocks and Valleys Offroad Park. Although it was fun, I'm not going back again with this truck; it was at its limit. Side steps are dented a lot, muffler is dented, and I tore a CV boot again. Only did 9 miles, but it took 7 hours! I scraped on rocks more times than I can count...hopefully my friend who was riding shotgun/spotting got good pictures because I didn't get many. I'll be posting up later.

On another note, with my hubs unlocked my orange 4wd light comes on after a little over an hour on the highway. Anybody else have this? Is it necessarily a problem? It seemed to drive fine...

• Like 2

Called about getting my rear diff rebuilt because I just don't have the time to do it myself right now. Their "10+" year tech told me that "I just wouldn't be happy with the result" and that "They just don't do that kind of work over here." Wtf is that? Didn't even mention I also wanted them to do my clutch, I just hung up.

that's why they're called techs instead of mechanics now days. parts replacers.

I never did any rearends while with Nissan did a few trannys, back about 1980 I spent 3 days at a Ford school on 8 3/4 inch rearends, still have my inch lb beambar torque wrench that was used to check the rolling torque.

Excuse the ramblings of an old mechanic :rofl::rofl:

Spent the majority of yesterday blacking the lego's on my 92. Pleasantly surprised with how good they ended up looking!

That looks way cooler imo. I saw a few sets at the junkyard yesterday, I might have to go get them and do this.