What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

Today I pulled apart my timing covers and discovered the source of the bang she made last weekend! A broken timing belt, crank sprocket keyway destroyed, and the tensioner spring all sorts of messed up. Getting ready to weld in the missing piece of crank, and fit it all back together and see how it runs. (If) any advice?

Put new spark plugs in tonight. They were overdue but not in bad shape.

IMG_0215_zpsp1h5mzi4.jpg

I like how you use the correct spark plug for the engine. Instead of most people on here who say "I installed autolite platinum plugs and it misfires and gets @!*% gas mileage".

Today I pulled apart my timing covers and discovered the source of the bang she made last weekend! A broken timing belt, crank sprocket keyway destroyed, and the tensioner spring all sorts of messed up. Getting ready to weld in the missing piece of crank, and fit it all back together and see how it runs. (If) any advice?

Buy a new/used engine. If the keyway is messed up any fix will just be a bandaid that you can't trust.

You know what is weird. The JDM engine I bought came with Denso spark plugs. I'm sure they were never changed as the motor only had about 30k on it. I replaced them with NGK plugs of course ;)

Found a rear bumper at a junkyard in OK shape. paint was faded to a very light grey. Took it all apart and sanded and repainted the thing. Took 15 minutes to swap my bumper and modify my new one for my 20" light bar. And NO, its not overkill.

• Like 2

Buy a new/used engine. If the keyway is messed up any fix will just be a bandaid that you can't trust.

Both RedPath88 and MY1PATH repaired theirs by cutting in a new keyway 180 degrees off, IIRC. Both still work fine...

• 2 weeks later...

A week ago I changed the standar front and rear coil springs for StrongMan (rear springs) and Imal (Local brand front springs). StrongMan are 1,5" lift... Imal suposed to be the same... But they are almost 3"... So this monday we are going to change the front springs for StrongMan 1,5" lift...

Edited by mickmutante

got my R51 back from the detailer. 90% of the interior grime is gone. Only a few spots left on the headliner and passenger seat. Very glad I threw a C-note at the problem rather than trying to clean it myself.

• Like 1

A week ago I changed the standar front and rear coil springs for StrongMan (rear springs) and Imal (Local brand front springs). StrongMan are 1,5" lift... Imal suposed to be the same... But they are almost 3"... So this monday we are going to change the front springs for StrongMan 1,5" lift...

IronMan front springs where out of stock... So the front springs where changed by Imal's 1,5" lift...

Finally finished the diesel wiring conversion on my 92 se.

Added all of the jdm options including headlight washers and side fender light secondary turn signals, glow plug controller, gauge cluster, clinometer etc... as well as added a/c and wired for automatic climate control.

Also had to rewire the vehicle for the diesel auto trans computer.

Now here's hoping I didn't mess anything up... nervous to put a battery in it, alas I cannot test it until the engine is in.

• Like 1

drilled out the broken timing belt tensioner stud tapped the hole replaced the stud and installed a new timing belt on the 94, luckly

it didn't jump time 220.000 miles on this one.

When the one broke on my 88 it left me stranded almost 260.000 miles on the 88.

anyone else have one break??

Replaced the switch bulbs, so I can finally see the hazard, cruise, and rear defroster switches at night.

Also started working out what it is going take to add a 2003 R50 SE roof rack to my truck.

Washed most of the tree piss off of it. I dunno if we have aphids or what but the whole truck looked like it had been misted with clear coat. I guess I have one more reason to avoid parking under the walnut trees.

Also found another little difference between pre and post '93. The rubber stops for the rear window changed from simple buttons to a hollow thing shaped like a number 9. Same mounting holes and the stops from my '95 replaced the dried-up stops on my '93 no problem. Hopefully that's one more rattle taken care of.

Washed most of the tree piss off of it. I dunno if we have aphids or what but the whole truck looked like it had been misted with clear coat. I guess I have one more reason to avoid parking under the walnut trees.

Also found another little difference between pre and post '93. The rubber stops for the rear window changed from simple buttons to a hollow thing shaped like a number 9. Same mounting holes and the stops from my '95 replaced the dried-up stops on my '93 no problem. Hopefully that's one more rattle taken care of.

our pecan trees do the same thing every spring and early summer, but it does wash off easy

pulled the engine on the 88 this morning, picking up the 3.3 Tuesday.

Was able to pull the engine without dropping the front 3rd member just enough clearance ,

glad it's a auto.

Cleaned up the diesel fuel hard lines, diesel tank fill tube and retainer and all the rubber and removed all the rust (from the metal parts obviously :) ). Painted said items with a rust inhibiting primer and top coated black.

Cleaned up the inside of the diesel tank (a little tar here and there but not too bad) and the pickup / level sending unit (totally gunked up) and re applied the tanks undercoating while taking care of any minor surface rust.

Almost ready to start assembling all the diesel components in the pathy...