What did you do to your Pathfinder today?

RedRider3141

The 2004 had new shoes installed. 265/65R17 Cooper RTX.

Yes, they do fit!!

same size I run on my 95. They are basically 32 in tires. I run wrangler duratracs. How are those cooper's. Almost went with them myself.

Drained front diff fluid. Was black sludge. Nice fresh slime green fluid went back in.

Rear was not quite as easy. In fact, rear was a no go. Both drain / fill plugs were so softened up by rust that they both stripped completely. No dice. This tells me they have probably not been undone in 15 years. And neither has the fluid been changed.

Any ideas how I might get them out??!

Drained front diff fluid. Was black sludge. Nice fresh slime green fluid went back in.

Rear was not quite as easy. In fact, rear was a no go. Both drain / fill plugs were so softened up by rust that they both stripped completely. No dice. This tells me they have probably not been undone in 15 years. And neither has the fluid been changed.

Any ideas how I might get them out??!

if it's totally stripped out, I would weld a short bolt to the drain plug with a couple of spot welds. The heat will break the seal and the bolt will allow you to turn it out with a breaker bar. The drain plugs are usually protruding from the housing by 1/8 to 1/4 inch, so it's easy to avoid getting any weld bead on the housing. It's a last resort, but if you totally stripped out the drain plug then it's a surefire way to do it.

if it's totally stripped out, I would weld a short bolt to the drain plug with a couple of spot welds. The heat will break the seal and the bolt will allow you to turn it out with a breaker bar. The drain plugs are usually protruding from the housing by 1/8 to 1/4 inch, so it's easy to avoid getting any weld bead on the housing. It's a last resort, but if you totally stripped out the drain plug then it's a surefire way to do it.

Yeah I read up on that over on Nico. That's what I'll have to do. Been searching for replacement plugs and that isn't as easy as I had thought. My local Napa can't even order them. I'll try my local Nissan dealer but was wondering if anyone knows an online source. I could find some nissan ones but I can't know the size for sure as I don't know that part number. Thanks

You can look up factory part numbers at courtesyparts.com. They have all the parts diagrams listed and the corresponding oem part numbers for you to order from your local nissan dealer.

I'll try my local Nissan dealer but was wondering if anyone knows an online source. I could find some nissan ones but I can't know the size for sure as I don't know that part number. Thanks

Send a PM to Alkorahil, our friendly neighborhood Nissan (dealer) parts guy! ;) You might include your VIN to speed things along as he may ask for it anyway.

Replaced the strut rod bushings and driver's side door hinge pins and bushings. Replacing the strut rod bushings was pretty easy, the door hinge pins and bushings on the other hand were a PITA! I was successful at both though. Last weekend I also tackled the passenger side exhaust manifold broken studs. Big job, but it went pretty smooth, and no more tick, tick, tick!

Replaced my EGR valve, finally. The old one wasn't broken, but the threaded bung was stripped. This made putting the new/used one on fun, as some of the threads were still embedded in the flare nut bit that screwed on, and were pretty well fused in. I ended up cutting the flare nut about 1/4" shorter with the angle grinder because I was out of good ideas. It worked!

Got a call at midnight from a friend, said he got his Toyota MR2 stuck.... boy he wasn't kidding. Took a wrong turn on a dirt road and ended up sliding down a hill into a 6 inch deep muddy mess. Thank god for our Pathfinders having 4Lo... drug him through a mile of that @!*%, took forever because he kept sketching out and slamming on his brakes, and I was struggling to maintain traction as it was lol

• Like 1

Dropped the AC blower motor because I couldn't take the "whirring" noise anymore. It still amazes me how much noise a pine needle can make... :angry:

• Like 2

1995 Pathy LE/SE : Front wheel bearings. (Inner and outer) repack. New sway bar linkage and bushings. New front and rear shock absorbers. Upper and lower ball joints and filled all grease fittings. Oil change. K&N filter cleaned. Needless to say after 1,151,000 miles my pathy was in dire need of these things. And it rides and drives like it did when I first bought it back in 1999 with 89,000 miles on it. It's been the best thing I've ever owned. Never left me stuck in mud or snow. Never left me stranded. Been to 36 states and always reliable. It's a love affair. It truly is.

• Like 1