Vehicle Speed Sensor

crazyhayseed

Well the speedo gear is what's connected to the rear side section of t case and it directly attaches to the back of the speedometer. I can only assume for now that the code I am getting for the vss is the revolution sensor on top of the t case.

• 3 years later...
On 1/24/2011 at 10:30 PM, Daves94XE said:

on my 94 it came with 235's and has a red 20 tooth speed sensor gear. i first ordered an 18 tooth to get everything back to stock with 31's. the 18 tooth was too small so(wouldnt contact the t case gear) Rob exchanged it for a white 19 tooth gear and it's dead on. THANKS ROB!you will prob can go with 20, or 19 and be ok but make sure you get the c clip that holds the gear on.

So I have a 95 xe and just swapped to 31's. I have the red gear now. I bought a blue thinking that was correct but its not. Should I get a 19t white one now?

Honestly not sure the sensor gear needs to be changed for the small difference in tire size. My 93 came from the factory with 31's and is now wearing 33's. Checking the speedometer using GPS, speed indicator units, and timing distance all would agree with what the speedometer was showing. Now if I changed to different gears, it probably would throw the speedometer off. So either when I had the stock 31's the speedometer was reading high, or the 2" difference when I went to 33" tires just wasn't enough to make a useful difference. 

The VSS in the 87-93 mechanical speedometers is in the speedometer head itself. It is a simple magnet and coil. As the magnet on the driveshaft in the speedometer head spins by the coil, it induces a current that the ECM uses to calculate the speed. It really isn't a separately serviceable part, generally requires replacement if the speedometer head. You might be lucky and just have a wire broken loose at a solder joint or simply unplugged.  

My 95 came with 31s and a manual trans, the speedo is only off by 5km/h at 100km/5 on 33s. Not bad, or worth messing with. My 94 SE with 33s was 7km/h off at 100km/h. It was automatic trans, though. The 95 has 4.3 rear end and the 94 had 4.6.

My first truck a 95 XE, came with 235s, it was off something crazy like 14 or 17%.