Vehicle Speed Sensor

crazyhayseed

So, the VSS on my '95 has been broken since I got it three years ago. I'm finally getting around to replacing it.

The trick is, the replacement doesn't match the original... There's no gear attached. I've searched like crazy, but I can't find one that does.

The old gear doesn't come off. Its molded to the shaft. I know this because, after a couple taps with a hammer, I got to see the cut-away view.

Has anyone replaced the electronic speed sensor? Can you tell me how this is supposed to work?

IMG_2688.jpg

IMG_2683.jpg

The FSM is absolutely useless in this case.

Ok, I found the gear at Courtesy. 20 teeth for my XE. Even more of a relief was that their sensor looks just like the one I bought from Parts Train.

But here's where the plot thickens. Why does the sensor I took out look nothing like that which replaces it?

In fact, it actually resembles the sensor courtesy lists as 93 and below... But I thought everything under 94 still had the cable speedo?

wd21_330-2copy.gif

Too weird. Maybe some dingbat replaced the tranny with an older model before I got it.

That being a possibility; how am I ever going to match the splines on the pinion?

Edited by crazyhayseed

maybe the tranny is out of a older one and the gear can come out andu can put in the newer speed sensor? idk thats the only think i can think of i dont know how the actual parts go together never touched it before

Damn! Well my only choice is to go with what I have. I called Courtesy, but they can't tell me anything new about it.

Apparently, if you don't know what your transmission is, you're SOL. So, for anyone thinking about replacing their drivetrain, MAKE SURE IT MATCHES WHAT CAME OUT!!!

I ordered the pinion gear. 20 teeth to match the XE. It's a total crap-shoot, but $30 wasted is better than not trying at all.

Maybe I'll write a how-to on this when I get it done. I find the lack of information disheartening. :headwall:

A 20 tooth pinion gear is red..........

Part Number: 32743-74P20

Description: PINION-SPEEDO 20T

$15.46

WD21 4WD PRODUCTION DATE 07/93+

Blue is an 18 tooth pinion gear:

Part Number: 32743-74P18

Description: PINION SPEEDO-18T

$15.46

WD21 4WD PRODUCTION DATE 07/93+

I have had several customer in the past with a WD21 or D21 that have bought an aftermarket speed sensor and the stock pinion gears will not fit.

Edited by Alkorahil

A 20 tooth pinion gear is red..........

Blue is an 18 tooth pinion gear:

I have had several customer in the past with a WD21 or D21 that have bought an aftermarket speed sensor and the stock pinion gears will not fit.

Thanks for that, but does the color code apply to the older style sensor?

alkorahil,

I recently pulled a blue 18 tooth out of the junk yard and found that it wont engage when I put it in my truck. I wouldn't say it was light blue, would an early blue 18 not work in a 94?

Edited by wilson

on my 94 it came with 235's and has a red 20 tooth speed sensor gear. i first ordered an 18 tooth to get everything back to stock with 31's. the 18 tooth was too small so(wouldnt contact the t case gear) Rob exchanged it for a white 19 tooth gear and it's dead on. THANKS ROB!you will prob can go with 20, or 19 and be ok but make sure you get the c clip that holds the gear on.

The book said XE=20t, so that's what I bought. The problem is, I'm shooting in the dark.

The part will be in sometime this week (I hope), so I guess I'll figure it out then.

If it even works in this case, I'll be able to check the reading to my GPS and figure how far off it is.

on my 94 it came with 235's and has a red 20 tooth speed sensor gear. i first ordered an 18 tooth to get everything back to stock with 31's. the 18 tooth was too small so(wouldnt contact the t case gear) Rob exchanged it for a white 19 tooth gear and it's dead on. THANKS ROB!you will prob can go with 20, or 19 and be ok but make sure you get the c clip that holds the gear on.

right on, that sounds like what I got going on.

alkorahil,

I recently pulled a blue 18 tooth out of the junk yard and found that it wont engage when I put it in my truck. I wouldn't say it was light blue, would an early blue 18 not work in a 94?

The break is at 07/93, they are two different part numbers for before and after that date, as the speed senors are different and thus the pinions are shaped different.

The gear came in today. Mounted to sensor and bolted to T-case in 5 minutes. No sweat.

My gauge is working, but my odometer is still dead. :shrug:

My GPS says the meter is 3 MPH slow. I'm not sure which to trust, but either way is close enough I suppose.

I am thinking the odomoter may be dead then.

There is one trick I have seen before on older GM meters when they get old, try this one yours, hit the trip reset a few times while driving, it may be slightly hung up and reseting it may free the gears.

I am thinking the odomoter may be dead then.

There is one trick I have seen before on older GM meters when they get old, try this one yours, hit the trip reset a few times while driving, it may be slightly hung up and reseting it may free the gears.

Nope... Yep!

It ended up coming on on it's own the next day when my wife took the truck to work. Kinda freaky, but hey, I'm easy to please. Whats a few more unaccounted miles?

It would be nice if someone would do the math and figure out custom gears for bigger tires like the Jeep boys have. I think we're destined to settle with "close enough".

Edited by crazyhayseed

OK, so there is a bunch of chatter here, and I have one last question about this issue, as I need a VSS currently.

I am also looking at the ~$50 option from ebay, and noticed the lack of plastic gear on the shaft of the sensor. Am I correct in thinking that you bought a genuine Nissan gear that worked? Because as stated above, the bladed shaft looks different from the splined shaft in my hands.

Yes. You can order one from +\%28wd21&cPath=5572_5573_5640_5657"]Courtesy Nissan of Texas, but you'll need to match the gear to your model and/or tire size.

To sum it up:

I used a 20 tooth gear, as that's what was noted as required for my XE. However, it might have been a better idea to buy the 19 tooth as it may provide more accurate readings due to my over-sized tires.

18 tooth is also available, but others have had problems with it engaging in the transfer case.

Edited by crazyhayseed

• 2 years later...

Hey guys Sorry to resurrect and old thread. But recently Iv been playing with my vss, and even posted on here about it. But I realized I have the same problem as here. I got the speed sensor cel, so I ordered a new one that came with out the gear.

I know I'm suppose to have an electronic speed sensor in my car, cause I took my gauge cluster off to check, but when I went under the car to switch them, I noticed I have a cable driven sensor in there with the blue gear on it, which should be the right one for my tire size.

My question is, instead of ordering a new gear, I know I can't take the old gear off the splines by it self, but can I just pull the shaft that has the gear on it and swap them?

Thanks for the help,

Mike

• 1 month later...

I have a 1995 Pathfinder 4x4 put a different VSS on it with same gear the check light went out 99% of the time but still no speedo.. I have 31's and I do know what size gear to buy.. can anyone help me out with What size gear or color gear? Where do I buy it? Do the size of the tire make a difference?

I am just learning about this speed sensor thing and I think it is a cheap way out. OH by the way the one on it is the white or creamish color one and I don't think it is the correct one.. It was on it when I bought the Pathy.. :wub:

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

The round-dash Pathfinders have a speed sensor on the transfer where the cable would go, the earlier ones have the cable going up to the dash. There's a test for the vehicle speed sensor in the '89 manual (only one I have for square-dash) that involves pulling the speedo cable and spinning it by hand, suggesting to me that the VSS in a square-dash truck is in the cluster where the speedo cable goes in.