Swapping Cruise control from a 92

Kyle94

i have been looking for a thread about this but havent even come across one that is even close to what i need.

what i need to know is:

1. is it even possibe?

2.what devices.wiring/switches/cables, etc. do i need?

3. has anyone attempted?

I found a guy that is parting out a 92 and am getting lots of other parts really cheap because he needs to be gone soon.

also has a good engine for 225 if someone local wants it. any help is greatly appriciated. i need to know as so an i can... :D

Kyle I'm gonna kinda break down the PM here so others can give inputs

1. Anything is possible

2. Check the wiring diagram from the FSM and do a double check on vehicle to see if all the connectors are present...if so the wiring is probably good to go. What you will need: brake/clutch pedal inhibitor switches, main on/off switch to the left of the steering wheel (may be different than the 94/95 dash), switches on the steering wheel (if these were offered on other than 94/95 trucks which i hit on that are powered typically off of the same strike plate that the horn is so i don't know if the steering wheel needs to change or just add the switch and the under hood solenoid/cable assembly

3. I haven't done it but that'd be my approach...check the FSM for connectors, verify they're there and then get hte parts and hook it up and hope it works

or the throttle lock i talked about in the PM

• Like 1

im gonna make sure that the switch isnt combined with the headlight switch, as that would just be a pita... i didnt think there was an online FSM for the 92 and 93...

im gonna make sure that the switch isnt combined with the headlight switch, as that would just be a pita... i didnt think there was an online FSM for the 92 and 93...

it is combined on the 92 and 93

ok, speaking of cruise control.....mph drop about 5mph when on cruise until it kicks into play & speeds back up. Is there anyway I can adjust something so the speed stays at a constant speed? My other Pathy isn't that bad. I'm curious if my bad knock sensor has something to do with it? I'm hoping to replace it this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Does it do it on hills? Or just randomly. If on hills it's normal as the cruise sucks in these trucks but if it does it randomly, it's probably a cracked/leaking vacuum line from the pump to the actuator. It is on the passenger side of the engine bay near the firewall. The hose is about 8" long.

Kyle I'm gonna kinda break down the PM here so others can give inputs

1. Anything is possible

2. Check the wiring diagram from the FSM and do a double check on vehicle to see if all the connectors are present...if so the wiring is probably good to go. What you will need: brake/clutch pedal inhibitor switches, main on/off switch to the left of the steering wheel (may be different than the 94/95 dash), switches on the steering wheel (if these were offered on other than 94/95 trucks which i hit on that are powered typically off of the same strike plate that the horn is so i don't know if the steering wheel needs to change or just add the switch and the under hood solenoid/cable assembly

3. I haven't done it but that'd be my approach...check the FSM for connectors, verify they're there and then get hte parts and hook it up and hope it works

or the throttle lock i talked about in the PM

Don't forget the actuator itself. That might have been in the PM, but I hadn't seen it mentioned. Make sure you have the vacuum lines and hardware too.

It seems obvious, but all the electrical connections and switches in the world won't help if you forget the main component. ;p

You'll wanna be sure your TB has the pulley for the CC too. If not, you'll need that from the donor too.

• 4 months later...

ok, speaking of cruise control.....mph drop about 5mph when on cruise until it kicks into play & speeds back up. Is there anyway I can adjust something so the speed stays at a constant speed? My other Pathy isn't that bad. I'm curious if my bad knock sensor has something to do with it? I'm hoping to replace it this weekend. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Sorry I'm late to the party but you might just need to adjust the cable where it attaches to the TB pulley. You can easily identify a slack cable by sight or wiggle it a bit. While your in there you might as well check/adjust the throttle cable too. They stretch over time, that is nearly 20 years old...Old truck might feel new again!