Anyone Do This Mod?

I was looking around on the forum, found a mod idea in the Newbies Section and was wondering if anyone has done this? Pictures? I also like the idea of an air mattress for the back...does a twin air mattress fit?

Rear Seat Hinges - space for sleeping

You can drill out the hinge pins securing the rear seat bottoms, and replace them with bolts and wingnuts. Although it's a bit fiddly, you then can remove the rear seat bottoms, leaving either space for more cargo, or for sleeping. The seat bottoms can be arranged to fill the remaining gaps.

Haven't done this mod but I am a big guy myself and sleeping back there is a little tight.... but doable. I forget who it is, but a member on here has a calapsable tent that goes on the roof rack that looks pretty comfty.... I remember seeign it the other day will let you know once I remember if you would consider going that route.

Pics of the truck with the new roof tent.

DSC03879.jpg

DSC03884.jpg

Opened up:

DSC03844.jpg

DSC03843.jpg

DSC03842.jpg

DSC03845.jpg

DSC03847.jpg

DSC03848.jpg

Inside:

DSC03849.jpg

Nice tent. Tons of room inside (queen sized bed), very well made, and is a great addition to any off-road rig. Takes less than 5 minutes to setup. It also keeps you off the ground, away from insects, snakes and anything else that might want to crawl into your tent. Also no more rocky/lumping ground to sleep on (has a mattress built in). Anywhere that you can park the truck, you can setup the tent. Takes weight no problem too. I hauled my fat ass up there and it didn't move at all. Rock solid.

This is how it is setup. Like I said before, it takes less than 5 minutes. Closing it up takes the same amount of time.

Tent.jpg

I am not a small guy either (6'1"). I removed the seat bottoms in the back, put down the back seats, advanced the front seats as far as I could, took out ALL the gear in the back and there was not much room in the back. I had to sleep in an angle to fit and it was pretty uncomfortable. Luckily it was just one night. Now with all the gear I have in the back that is impossible.

It is doable, but I would recommend against it unless you really need to sleep in the truck for some reason.

This is in a WD21, with the rear seat bottoms out of the truck, there is enough space for me to sleep, I'm 6'2". And a Coleman SUV air mattress fits perfect. All the gear I carried fit in the front of the truck.

I have done this mod. In the past I just unbolted the seats bottoms for the summer (camping season) and took them out.

It is easier to remove than the bolts, but I have had some issues lining everything back up to install the hinges. Not difficult, just a PITA sometimes.

I don't have any pics, but I can take some for you.

Simon and I sleep in the back of the truck during spring and fall runs without issue. He is almost 6' tall, I dont think he can sleep with his legs straight, but I dont think he typically does.

We used to throw an air mattress back there, but I now use two self inflating mattresses - which work better for us. They dont lose air overnight, and are warmer than sleeping on a giant pillow full of cold air.

Lounge seating in the Qx4 .... from the factory, is it not the same for pathfinders??

You take the headrests off, put the front seats all the way forward and tilt them all the way back and the back of the fronts go flush with the bottoms of the rears. Then you tilt the rear seats back and wham... baby makin time

Lounge seating in the Qx4 .... from the factory, is it not the same for pathfinders??

You take the headrests off, put the front seats all the way forward and tilt them all the way back and the back of the fronts go flush with the bottoms of the rears. Then you tilt the rear seats back and wham... baby makin time

I've done that before. It's pretty comfy but my rear seats didn't recline enough for me.

I was looking around on the forum, found a mod idea in the Newbies Section and was wondering if anyone has done this? Pictures? I also like the idea of an air mattress for the back...does a twin air mattress fit?

Rear Seat Hinges - space for sleeping

You can drill out the hinge pins securing the rear seat bottoms, and replace them with bolts and wingnuts. Although it's a bit fiddly, you then can remove the rear seat bottoms, leaving either space for more cargo, or for sleeping. The seat bottoms can be arranged to fill the remaining gaps.

This is in a WD21, with the rear seat bottoms out of the truck, there is enough space for me to sleep, I'm 6'2". And a Coleman SUV air mattress fits perfect. All the gear I carried fit in the front of the truck.

i drilled the pins out on mine. ive only used the ability once though...

Im 6'3 and slept in the back with all the seat cushions in....then again I never sleep straight. I have people in the back quite often and the few times I will need to take them out a socket set is not a big deal to use :itsallgood:

Edited by 01silvapathy

I've done it, but never slept back there. I end up taking them out fairly regularly as I often have to transport stuff in my truck. Having the seat bottoms out provides a decent amount of extra cargo space.

I might have some pictures of the process, I'm not sure. Here is a picture of the completed hinge. Only problem I've had is over time the wingnuts can work themselves off as you put the seat bottoms up and down (the wingnut gets caught on the carpet allowing the bolt to turn in the nut). I suppose you could use normal nuts but that exceeds the point of being able to quickly remove them without tools.

Hinge4-1.jpg

Drill out the rounded side

Hinge1.jpg

Hinge2.jpg

The part of the pin that goes through the hinge on the rounded side is smaller than the rest, so if you drill out the flat side the pin won't come out.

Hinge3.jpg

Works great.

thats what i do

its the same for pathfinders, even older ones!!

I went with the Square Wire Lock Pin 5/16" x 2-3/4". Worked out great, I kept the Plastic Covers that snap over the hinges by drilling through those as well, for an even more cleaner looking install. IMO!

6cafccfd.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Here's a relatively terrible photo of this if anybody's wondering how this looks and doesn't want to expend the effort to check for themselves:

IMG_0040.jpg

It's pretty comfortable, but I'm a short and small guy so YMMV.

• 4 weeks later...

With either the swapping out of the rear seat hinge pins or changing out the bolt that secures the seat to the floor, are there any long-term durability or safety concerns? Sorry if this topic is done but I just joined recently and wanted to do this mod in my 94XE.

In Steevo's link he put some ammo boxes to increase the flat surface to support a mattress. For those of you who did this mod, what other things do you put back there to support a mattress?

Thanks!

-a