2003 SE front end hum

psychopathy

Hi all....Happy New Year.

I've developed a humming noise in the front end of my Pathy. Sounds like the noise from an aggressive mud tire but I just run some mild tread ATs. It does it of course while I'm driving and it gets louder the faster I go, just like a tire noise but I really don't think it's that. Could it be a spindle problem?? I have 126,000 miles on it. Newer bearings and brakes so I don't think it's that.

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by psychopathy

front u-joints.... do an easy test : remove front drive shaft (8 bolts) and try... you'll know right away.

Thanks...I'll do that. The noise will stop....correct?? Also...how hard are they to replace. Are they pressed in?

Edited by psychopathy

Thanks...I'll do that. The noise will stop....correct?? Also...how hard are they to replace. Are they pressed in?

They are not pressed in. It is not an overlyt difficult job to complete, but as always, it depends on your mechanic skills and tools available.

Read up on replacing them and judge for yourself.

^^ X2 likely an alignment issue or tires that are getting worn. When my tires were near death, the cabin noise was similar to a bad wheel bearing.

U-joints will not hum, they will make popping sounds and clunks when starting or stopping. The 3 most likely culprits are well worn tires, mis-alignment and wheel bearings that were not properly installed. The axle nut (when installing new bearings) is required to reach a certain torque to set the bearings and then be loosened and retorqued to a lower number for retention. If this process was not followed, your newer bearing are likely shot.

Edited by HFXpathfinders

Could your alignment be off and therefore your tires be cupping? Mine did that and it sounded like bad bearings.

Tires are fine...no alignment problems. Just aligned in November and new tires last summer. That was first thing I had checked. My mechanic bro-in-law thinks it may be bearings....

Jack it up and grab the tire at 12 and 6 and see if there is any play if there is your bearings are loose. Then rub your hand along the tread of the tire. Does it feel smooth one way but choppy the other? That would mean your tires are starting to cup/feather.

What brand of bearings were used and did a mechanic install them?

Jack it up and grab the tire at 12 and 6 and see if there is any play if there is your bearings are loose. Then rub your hand along the tread of the tire. Does it feel smooth one way but choppy the other? That would mean your tires are starting to cup/feather.

What brand of bearings were used and did a mechanic install them?

Took it to my bro-in-law...mechanic for a living...def. the bearings. Tires are wearing very nicely...no cupping at all. I bought the bearings from Advance last year and had dealership mechanic buddy put them in...won't buy there again. Already purchased new ones from NAPA and we'll put them in on Saturday.

I bought Equalizer Sport AP tires last March and have 20,000 miles on them....very impressed with traction and wear. I'll buy these again. Price is right too at 125 bucks/tire!

Yeah...never again!!

Bearings changed (good quality NAPA bearings)....noise gone. One race had a pit in it and the bearings hadn't been packed very well, kinda dry really....

All's well now!!!