Spark Plugs

Hi all. Can I please get advise on Spark Plugs. My mistake, I bought some NGK plugs No BKR6EIX / .032 gap. These are for a VG30E / 1990 model. Question. Can I use these in my VG30I 1989 motor ? .NGK list plug BCPR5EIX-11 with a .044 gap for this motor.Being in Australia they cost a lot and I would like to do a service before XMass.The Auto store will not exchange or return them. Will the different plugs affect the running ?

I advise against using Iridum and platnum plugs on the VG. These old engines do just fine on plane ol copper core plugs because they have a very strong igniton system.

BKR6EY (plain V-power) will work on both vg30e and vg30i. You can gap it to .040~.042

I would get the correct spark plug. The two you mentioned have a different gap, heat rating and I don't know about the length. Gap is .044"

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/part_finder/index.asp?mode=nml

No harm in running platinum alloy plugs other than the price, they may even last longer. While the V power are OE parts, they list different heat ranges for the I and E engine designations and I tend ti follow the recommendations.

Yes, the ignition system is quite strong. My first 95 ran without a center electrode in the dizzy cap; the spark arced from the center spring down to thr rotor on demand... :blink:

B

I used the ngk G-power plugs and it runs great and gets decent mileage. That is what came out of the truck so that is what I put in. The set that was in there lasted 80,000kms (of my driving, who knows how old they were) before I had any issues.

I remember when Brandon and I did our plugs on the same day and he had the basic ngks. He noticed a big difference.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/products/spark_plugs/gpower.asp

• 3 weeks later...

The TBIs tend to need a hotter plug, the 5Es, for complete combustion. The MPFIs can get away with using 6Es.

that exactly right but if its a big diff in price it will not hurt anything its ok to go colder from 5 to 6 but u would not want to go 6-5 6 being a colder plug