Power Windows Slowing Down

Howie

Here are the pics.

Step 1. Roll down window

Step 2. Follow the pictures

Step 3. If it didn't help much and if you can move your window back and forth while its partially rolled down then your window regulators are worn. Mine are.

windowlubrication001.jpg

windowlubrication002.jpg

windowlubrication003.jpg

• 2 years later...
Does anyone else here have problems with their power windows getting sluggish in the cold weather?

--Howie

Been awhile since i've been on the board, but I just recently got pissed enough to look at my windows.

I read all kinds of posts of spraying silicone and all kids of other crap down the guides front and rear, i bought some spray, and tried it out. no luck, no result.

Howie, you can relate to me here, it is -23 deg C here, that is -10 deg F for the americans! -37 deg C with wind. anyway, NONE of my windows were going down, and any time after -10 deg C they were getting slow, and would go down.then when rolling up they would stop and go back down...

Anyway, the silicone thing did NOT work for me in cold weather for sure. so i took the door panel off, and cleaned the track.. not the guides on the side but the track up the center of the glass. i used brake cleaner to clean off whatever factory (or someone else) put on it (grey looked like antisieze), and having nothing else, I grabbed some left over amsoil synthetic gear oil i put in my diffs... thinking something synthetic is not going to stiffen up like whatever was in there was doing.

Anyway, so far so good, only 3 more windows to do... another night!

If this post is still relavent, i could post some pics of the job.

Someone has been in my door panel before for some reason, as the plastic was peeled back on both sides... maybe someone else tried lubing the rubber on the guides??

FYI, with the engine running or not running, the drivers window is at least twice as fast both up and down now.

Will let you know if i find all door panels have been opened or what... when i do the other 3. Just glad I can get my tim hortons now without going in or opening the door, looking like an idiot! :)

Edited by dynomax

I want to do this but keep forgetting about it because the problem goes away in the summer. Then once the cold hits again I get reminded of the problem when it's too cold to fix. :lol:

Hahah! Yeah, exactly! When I first started this thread, I went and bought a can of silicone, and I think it sat in my garage for months before I finally did it. It worked for me, (no -15 temps here, but sometimes it feels like it), and my car is in an insulated garage, so I haven't had to re-do the lube job since I did it a couple years ago.

• 1 year later...

After 10 years I finally figured out it's the RUBBER WINDOW WEATHERSTRIP that scrapes the inside of the window. As you roll the window down, the glass "slides" by the rubber trim correctly for a inch or two. Then the rubber "grabs" against the glass and the rubber lip rolls down and grips tightly against the glass. During the summer it's more flexible and doesn't slow the motor down as much. THEREFORE, SUMMER=FAST WINTER=SLOW This is on a 2000 model. The stealership says you can only order the whole inner door panel $580, and they don't sell just the rubber strip that attaches to the top of it. Here's a post i found on some earlier model part numbers when it was a separate part. http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/34015-door-window-seals-trim/ I realize this thread is a year old but I'm a NOOB and maybe it'll help the next guy.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in northern Alberta and it's currently -25c° and my window did get stuck down. After I read this topic I got myself a can of liquid wrench for the window grooves. But first I ran an entire can of break clean in all the grooves. Followed by the liquid wrench. So far it's like night and day. Hope this helps.

• 2 years later...

My window's been getting slower and slower by the month. I work at a secure facility and have to show an ID badge when I drive in. This morning I put the window down and it refused to go back up! Going to try the silicone spray thing. At least it's a nice sunny day today, I'd be pissed if it was raining since my window is half open now.