Stock mods

JayD

I was wondering if there were any heads off of any other engines that would mate up to the Z24 block, and if so, any that are preferably FI? I may have asked before... not sure if I did though... I don't nescessarily want to change out engines, because I want to see what kind of potential the Z24 bottom end has. Another reason I want Fuel injection, is so that I can boost it, using MS standalone. I could fab a mani for whatever trim turbo I wanted, but I need some helpful words of encouragement and a point in the proper direction before I go tearing stuff up and trying to rewire everything. I'll do a google search, and see if I can find something in the meantime, but I figured I'd ask the gurus first. Cheers!

I see the KA... anyone elaborate on it? I'll keep digging.

I see the one I want... KA24DE (T in the future...)

Edited by JayD

Well you'd be pretty hard pressed to blow the bottom end of the Z24 out. The Z24 and KA are basically an L-series with a different head, and L-series bottom ends don't blow up. I have one in my '76 pickup that's got 400K miles on it and has had a very hard life towing stuff that was intended for a 3/4 ton pickup. You could probably build a KA24DE to make decent power if boosted but they aren't that torquey of a motor which is what an SUV needs. I'm fairly sure the bell housing is the same between the KA and Z24, and the KA head *I think* bolts on to the Z24 block.

I would love to find out, See fabricating things isn't gonna be tough for me... I'm a mad scientist. Bwhahahaha, Whats the Compression ratio on the stock TBI Z24? If possible, and I know it'll need it anyways, is to deck the new head, and see where I'm at from there and see what I'm looking at as far as boost. I wonder if... I'd have to get the whole thing rewired, but how much room is under the hood with JUST the plenum? I wouldn't mind tinkering with a 3800 supercharger idea... I know someone that fabbed one for a mazda protege, so if that's possible, then there is no reason, that with EFI, that I can't do a similar setup. It would require me to do a LOT of research on air flow in the KA/Z head, possibly fab up some custom intake runners with butterfly valves that open up more at about 4k.... Damn at the ideas!!!!! If it were possible for me to make a supercharger plenum with all the hardware.... Wait... I'd have to figure out the I/C setup as if it gets mud between the fins, it'll decrease performance. I'll do a bit of research and see if I can make sufficient boost without needing an I/C... Probably not enough to make a noticeable difference. I guess I'll have to do my homework, take some measurements... and get to mocking a setup up so that it will be road ready by at LEAST spring 2012.

Ok, so rated stock Hp/Tq for the Z24 TBI is 103hp/134Tq... The KA24DE is rated at 155hp/160tq. Still researching if anyone makes a S/C kit for the KA24DE....