CD in R50

tempo

How do you take apart the CD?

To get it out, there are two screws on the bottom of the surround/bezel(?) around the stereo, climate control and that... remove those, and the rest is held in by clips... they're somewhat tough (I found) to pry out... just take it easy, it should come. Then I believe there are a couple screws holding the deck in... should be pretty obvious once you have the surround off.\

(this is if the surround is one piece - see below for 2 pcs)

Go to Harbor Freight Tools and spend $6 on a set of nylon dash tool removers. They work way better than a flathead screwdriver at prying the panels off, and they don't leave marks. Best investment I ever made. I use those things all the time, even around the house!

--Howie

To get to the CD changer: take a cloth-covered flathead screwdriver and pry the clock towards you from the right side, then two screws are visible. Unscrew those and more of the trim comes off; unclip the power socket's connector and then twist that trim out of the way, and then there are four screws for the stereo cluster, then four screws for the CD changer itself once the stereo cluster is pulled out. In fact, here are some pictures I took of the dashboard disassembly to get to the stereo cluster (click to enlarge):

IMG_0585.jpg

IMG_0586.jpg

IMG_0588-1.jpg

IMG_0590.jpg

IMG_0591.jpg

Nylon dash tool removers you say eh... Are they common in stores??

Hell I would love to get away from my method of puting a piece of electrical tape over a flat head screw driver!!

This is the set I have:

http://www.harborfreight.com/5-piece-auto-trim-and-molding-tool-set-67021.html

You can order it online, but if you didn't want to wait, you might be able to find something similar at an auto parts store. I've always been lucky enough to have a Harbor Freight Tools near me in the last 3 cities I've lived.

--Howie