Pathfinder smells like gas when I drive

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

Hello all,

I have a 1995 Pathfinder and on occasion when I drive, I get this strong odor of gas in my car. I would imagine that there is a leak somewhere or something. It doesn't smell like that 100% of the time, just on occasion. I'm afraid to take it to a mechanic for fear of being ripped off and overcharged some substantial amount, when it might be a simple fix or something easy. Has anyone else had similiar problems like this?

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

No, it doesn't make any noise when i tap the gas pedal, but a little over a year ago, I had to take my truck to the shop, because it would make a rattling noise when i'd drive and hit the gas. I think the mechanic just had to tighten down my headers or there was something with the manifold. The gas smell is coming from the back of my truck though and towards the front to me.

If it's worst when you fill it it could be leaking up top the gas tank and you might not be able to see gas leaking. If it's leaking gas enough for you to smell it and it isn't the top of your gas tank , you should be able to see wet spots somewhere along the lines or gas tank. Look under and follow the lines, they follow the inside of the frame on the passenger (right) side of the truck. Follow it up to your filter which is in the engine compartement (right, left if your facing your truck). Make sure your clamps are tight on your filter.

I think I've also seen a post on a clamp coming loose on the injector "manifold" or whatever you want to call it. Sorry, I'm having a brain fart and can't think of the exact word for this part (The tube/pipe that connects all your injectors together).

Hope you find your problem

Check the small section of rubber fuel line just to the left of the distributor on the intake manifold. I just had a gas smell, and this was the problem, and I remember other people saying they've had issues with this small hose before.

USMCDEVILDOG and ChromoTech:

I have a faint tapping noise, sounds like a piece of paper in a fan, that is only

audible when I am accelerating. I can't hear it in idle or neutral. It gets louder

at around mid-RPM, then fades but can still be heard. And it 'keeps time' with the

RPMs - it gets faster with higher RPMs. From the driver's seat it sounds like it is

originating from the engine area, and I've already removed the exhaust guards

that used to rattle.

Is this the manifold or header problem you mentioned? :huh:

How could I tell for sure - can my local garage identify it?

thanks!

Another question:

I tried to find the tapping noise again last night under the hood, but I can't

hear it without driving it. But I did notice a puffing noise originating from

the exhaust manifold area (passenger side, below valve cover).

Is this more evidence of a manifold leak?

*And along other lines, what is the safest, easiest way to clean up my engine?

It iis looking quite dirty. Can I just spray it down with a hose?

Yeah I think I have that same problem with mine too. Its coming from the back and I don't know if this has anything to do with it but when I have the engine on i can hear a hissing sound from underneath the back of the car, near the gas tank. I dont know if this is normal or not? I can't smell the gas odor with my windows closed but when I open them i can smell it. Suggestion on what it may be anyone?

Guest USMCDEVILDOG

Well I took my pathy to the shop to have that gas smell looked at and try to find the problem and he found a bunch of pin holes in my tank that were made by rust. He said it's seeping out and needs to be replaced. So basically I'm looking at a $700 job with new gas tank, sending unit, and labor. Wow. So hopefully no one else has this problem and if you do smell gas, go rob a bank right now, cuz it's gonna cost you. Smell ya later.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest goosejk

I had the same problem - even when it was parked.

Ended up discovering some pretty good rust / holes in the top of the tank. Evidently there is a depression there where water can collect. May be even more likely to happen if you don't drive it every day?

My end result - new tank. I paid just under a grand, but that was in Massachusetts.

My 93 had the gas smell thing going on. Mine was leaking around where the pump/sender went into the gas tank. I just used some RTV and haven't had further problems.

BTW, there's an access panel on the rear cargo floor to get to just the pump/sender unit.