Frame Rust Repair Kit !

RJSquirrel

I think forall the guys/gals out there that are as welding savy as others, this is the perfect solution. For those that don't know how to weld or have welders, it's an option for solid support & restore the rotting frames. For those who don't know how to weld, or have welders.....Time to make friends with those who do know how &/or have welders.

Be thankful businesses are coming out with new & more things for our wonderful Pathys. Not a huge market out there like JEEP's.

Just my two cents worth.

• 3 months later...

Ok all you welding/metal fabs out there.....Just out of curiosity, does anyone have a dollar ballpark figure on what it would take to get the fear rotting frame work done? I'm going to be looking into this & would like to have some figures to go by.

Thanks a million!

I think I've seen estimates go from 400 to 1000 depending on shops, IF they do it...and it will definitely go onto your carfax stuff...if that matters

Private shop/person, probably less than 400 for a patch job, anyone's best guess for a full rect tube rebuild..

Remember, your not just paying for time/parts with this, your paying for skills and experience...so expect a fair bill ;)

Lol its not going to go on the carfax. That's only if it was in a crash and the frame was bent.

I took mine to what seemed like 20 different places, half of which told me to get out of here. Some referred me to other guys that were "the best" and those guys quoted me 600+

And then I found the shop out in the middle of nowhere who worked for cash and did it for 350 bucks. This is probably the best way to go. Some place that fixes farm equipment in the country or something.

Lol its not going to go on the carfax. That's only if it was in a crash and the frame was bent.

I took mine to what seemed like 20 different places, half of which told me to get out of here. Some referred me to other guys that were "the best" and those guys quoted me 600+

And then I found the shop out in the middle of nowhere who worked for cash and did it for 350 bucks. This is probably the best way to go. Some place that fixes farm equipment in the country or something.

Those are the best ones. A guy few roads over who used to fix/rebuild logging truck frames, has his own small shop and is available for fabrication.

It does. It depends who does it, I've seen a few carfax's including "frame repair" that made no note of a crash on the report.

Alright! My other Pathy is out of storage & hoping to get to her in a week or two to look the frame over. Hope to get alot of things done this Summer for Fall & next year, if not even this Summer. Will take pics & keep everyone posted. Wish me luck!

• 3 months later...

Alright, time for an update.....The frame on my old Pathy is rotten. I have a guy looking for a solid frame for me so we can do the body swap. While doing so, I'll throw the 3" BL on so both lifts are on. Then I can work on this Pathy I'm driving now. Keep everyone posted.

Alright, time for an update.....The frame on my old Pathy is rotten. I have a guy looking for a solid frame for me so we can do the body swap. While doing so, I'll throw the 3" BL on so both lifts are on. Then I can work on this Pathy I'm driving now. Keep everyone posted.

Why not just buy a frame repair kit and weld it up? If you're already willing to pull the frame, blasting and welding up what you have would be less hassle than moving the entire drivetrain.

Other parts of the frame is going bad. I'd rather have a solid frame overall. Just welding & patching areas up for now, but will be almost a yearly thing. Band-aid effect. We'll see what happens & if he can find something. I think he said he was going to look down south & southwest.

I think I've seen estimates go from 400 to 1000 depending on shops, IF they do it...and it will definitely go onto your carfax stuff...if that matters

:rofl:

On the Carfax

:rofl:

:rolleyes: Carfax is a joke.

Mine's rotting a bit, and we considered swapping a solid frame from a local junkyard. My dad decided it was too much work, and the jy guys wanted 400 for it (fair, considering the pita to pull it out). So we're putting a nice big solid patch on either side... I'll put some pics up when we get it together. The back where the bumper mounts is a little sketch, too, but it's not like we tow with it, so... converter and undercoat, for now.

• 1 month later...

Ok, quick update on my rotting Pathy.....

Frame is far too gone to restore/weld-up. Took my Calmini lift off it & took the front & rear bumpers off to switch out with the ugly chrome ones I have on this Pathy. I cleaned them up & painted them with bedliner. Going to do the same with the Pre Runner light bar. Hope to finish them up today & maybe have them on the Pathy this weekend. Lift will be in a couple weeks tops!

The other Pathy I'll be getting trailered to my home & parted out after I get what I want off of it. I'll keep people posted & post a pic/forum in the "For Sale" section. I'm sick about having to get rid of it, since it ran better & body/doors shut nicely & hasn't been in an accident or anything, but Oh well, "........ Happens".

Some may ask, "Why wasting the time & paint on original bumpers"? Cheaper route right now. Looking for some off-road bumpers, but don't/can'tafford the expensive ones & can't find anyone close to make me some for a reasonable price.

Well, time to get out in the garage & get to work.

Peace out Everyone! :new576:

My dad and I decided to do this sort-of properly. We had them rough-cut from 1/8" and then shaped them properly with a jigsaw and an angle grinder. The driver's side one goes as far back as we thought we could get a welder, and the passenger's one stops at the panhard bracket. We'll redrill the factory holes as well for cleanout. Overkill is underrated!

P1010010-6.jpg

I'll be drawing up templates from these before welding them on, so if you want a paper pattern, lemme know.

(Edit: 1/8", not 3/8", dunno what I was thinking.)

Edited by Slartibartfast
  • Like 1

I also have a full set of frame patch templates ( both outsides from the body mount back, behind the panhard bar, the bottom from the spring perch back, and also the template for the bumper mount bolt holes.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm thinking cost to ship, which shouldn't be much (it's just paper). Shoot me a PM if interested. Sounds like Adamzan's are more complete though.

Took it down to my uncle's today, and he welded it up. That's the good news.

P1010017-6.jpg

P1010009-6.jpg

We decided not to match the factory cleanout holes, and drilled small holes elsewhere to weld it in better.

The bad news is, my uncle found more cancer around the crossmember mounts and the bump stops, especially on the passenger's side. He welded it up as well as he could and tied the crossmember bracket into the patch, but he says it's only got a few years left in it. Oh well, it's stronger than it was, at least. I don't exactly thrash it so it should last me a while longer.

Most of it is covered in undercoat and/or weld now.

P1010007-8.jpg

This is what it looked like before.

P1010009-5.jpg

My uncle had trouble welding near the bump stop and the crossmember, where I suspect the frame had thinned but not yet broken through. I did scrape a fair amount of rust chunks out of the rail while cleaning it up. He said it was spattering and burning through, which meant it was hitting rust.

He filled the weld around the crossmember mounts enough to connect the patch directly to the mount (which was solid). I think he just filled enough to hit solid metal around the bump stops.

P1010009-7.jpg

The inside rail looks a lot nicer than the outside, and the crossmember mount there looks fine.

P1010039.jpg

We decided not to weld this up. It's right above the exhaust pipe, and until I started poking it with a screwdriver, it just looked like a crack. The plan at present is to treat it and fill the gaping hole with JB weld putty. Ghetto, yes, but we're not terribly excited about dropping the tank. Oddly, the rail on this side is (otherwise) in better condition; the other side was where he had more trouble welding. This portion of the other rail is solid.

It stops before the section we patched.

P1010029-3.jpg

My uncle mostly rebuilds old sports cars, some to concourse spec. I have to remind myself now and then that what would be a worth a total rebuild in a Jag might not merit so much concern in a Pathfinder. :)

Dude I welded up that exact same spot on mine without dropping the gas tank, just put a bunch of wet rags all over it to catch the sparks. That pathy has more than just a few years left in it :treadmill: . There is a car club here that my dad belongs to and one guy who "builds and restores performance cars" chewed me out about how the frame wouldn't be as strong and all that. I'm sure it is stronger than factory, otherwise it wouldn't have held up to the offroad abuse I've put it through.

Boy, do those photos look familiar. I did my passenger side two years ago and DS a last year. I also extended forward to the firewall using 3" x 5" angle iron. Solid as a rock now and you can jack it up from anywhere, but the body is going. No longer pretty but good enough for off road and daily local driving. Almost time to get "Historical" designation. The insurance will be cheaper.

• 1 month later...

:(

Well, my 1st '94 Pathy is getting parted out. Once I get it to my place, I'm stripping things off & selling other parts cheap before I send it to the scrap yard. Frame is completely rusted & not fixable. Body is solid & straight. Shiznit Happens & we move on I guess. At least I have my other Pathy. Will post the sale of parts once I get the parts I want to keep & squared away.