Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

LucidPathy91

Has anyone replaced the driver side valve cover gasket in the VG30E? Mine is a 91 and I had issues with the distributor housing blocking one of the valve cover bolts. I could not get the distributor nuts off, even tried crows foot wrench...

I took the valve cover off the passenger side and replaced (lol) the gasket. See first picture of why that is funny. I took of intake manifold to get to the driver side but the distributor is blocking one of the bolts! How do I get that last bolt off the valve cover, seems impossible?

Valve Cover Gasket

Remove the single bolt that holds down the distributor (the one you loosen to adjust timing, driver's side), then pull the distributor out. Maybe it's possible to get that screw with an offset screwdriver, but I've never tried. Check your timing after you reinstall the distributor (or mark it really well). I usually use a 3/8" ratchet with extension and u-joint to loosen the bolt. You'll need either a 12 mm or 14 mm socket, I don't remember which. You might have to wiggle the distributor a bunch to get it to come out...

Make sure the rotor points in the same direction when you re-install it...

Edited by sewebster

MAN! all these non-searching noobs! This was just asked....

OK, link will put you all to shame!!!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278&st=0&p=394480&&do=findComment&comment=394480

The one who made this writeup was very much a noob when he did his.

Edited by MY1PATH

thanks for the link My1path, I searched last night but I was looking for a "how to remove the distributor", I've been trying to help Lucid out since he is new and is local to me but haven't been much help. I even went out and looked at my engine but with the manifold on I could hardly see the bolt for the distributor. We are going to hit the junkyards this Saturday and I told him we will figure out how to get either the valve cover off or get the dist. out.

MAN! all these non-searching noobs! This was just asked....

OK, link will put you all to shame!!!

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=22278&st=0&p=394480&&do=findComment&comment=394480

The one who made this writeup was very much a noob when he did his.

dang dude, I am a noob but i also did search just not for "Head cover gasket" + that post says nothing about the removal of distributor all it says is "after cleaning all and reorder the distro " - thanks for the link though.

Remove the single bolt that holds down the distributor (the one you loosen to adjust timing, driver's side), then pull the distributor out. Maybe it's possible to get that screw with an offset screwdriver, but I've never tried. Check your timing after you reinstall the distributor (or mark it really well). I usually use a 3/8" ratchet with extension and u-joint to loosen the bolt. You'll need either a 12 mm or 14 mm socket, I don't remember which. You might have to wiggle the distributor a bunch to get it to come out...

Make sure the rotor points in the same direction when you re-install it...

you got to be kidding me! So the large bolt on the right is the only one holding it down? There are two 10mm ones on the left that I thought had to come out. I really didn't muscle the distributor at all, just thought the other two bolts where holding it down.

you got to be kidding me! So the large bolt on the right is the only one holding it down? There are two 10mm ones on the left that I thought had to come out. I really didn't muscle the distributor at all, just thought the other two bolts where holding it down.

That's right. Those other two bolts just hold down the plate the distributor plugs into.