where to / how to install oil pressure guage

Cuong Nguyen

right above the starter beside the oil filter between the tranny and oil filter is the oil pressure sensor remove it and put in a t fitting if u wanna keep your original sender or remove it and put in the new pressure gauge if u delete the original sender then ground out the wire to keep the light off

are you sure its BSP and not NPT? I know for a short period of time I ran an aftermarket gage and I didnt have any problems with threading it on...IIRC the difference on the thread pitch between BSP and NPT is only like 1.5 b/c I couldn't find an adapter for my 1/4" BSP ARB fitting and just used a 1/4" NPT fitting with teflon tape and didn't overtorque it and it holds without leaks at 90 PSI

are you sure its BSP and not NPT? I know for a short period of time I ran an aftermarket gage and I didnt have any problems with threading it on...IIRC the difference on the thread pitch between BSP and NPT is only like 1.5 b/c I couldn't find an adapter for my 1/4" BSP ARB fitting and just used a 1/4" NPT fitting with teflon tape and didn't overtorque it and it holds without leaks at 90 PSI

I'm reasonably confident that it's BSP, but I can't remember why right now. They aren't super different, you're right, so it might work with NPT too (obviously it did for you). The gauge kit I bought came with an adapter. I'd already gone through a reasonably large hassle finding an adapter and bsp tee and everything, but then I found out it had the separate connection for the light, so all that was unnecessary.

reasonably large hassle is an understatement...i couldnt find one anywhere and is when i started researching the difference between the 2...makes me want to go google the exact difference again...

it could very well be i was ignorant before and just crammed a NPT fitting in the BSP port and didnt see the difference...that engine was toast so it never really ran other than some test drives (maybe 100 miles) before it was pulled and scrapped b/c of cracked rings and i had the nylon tubing which crimped and broke leaking oil everywhere (suggestion for copper tubing)

reasonably large hassle is an understatement...i couldnt find one anywhere and is when i started researching the difference between the 2...makes me want to go google the exact difference again...

it could very well be i was ignorant before and just crammed a NPT fitting in the BSP port and didnt see the difference...that engine was toast so it never really ran other than some test drives (maybe 100 miles) before it was pulled and scrapped b/c of cracked rings and i had the nylon tubing which crimped and broke leaking oil everywhere (suggestion for copper tubing)

I am a big fan of the electronic sending units. They may be a little more expensive but you don't have to worry about lubes and leaks, a definite pay off in my book.

B

• 5 months later...

I'm reasonably confident that it's BSP, but I can't remember why right now. They aren't super different, you're right, so it might work with NPT too (obviously it did for you). The gauge kit I bought came with an adapter. I'd already gone through a reasonably large hassle finding an adapter and bsp tee and everything, but then I found out it had the separate connection for the light, so all that was unnecessary.

Can anyone verify what size and thread type the block is. I've got a sending unit that is 1/8 NPT and it doesn't fit, I need to get an adapter but I don't know what size and thread I'm looking for :scratchhead:. Any help is much appreciated

Can anyone verify what size and thread type the block is. I've got a sending unit that is 1/8 NPT and it doesn't fit, I need to get an adapter but I don't know what size and thread I'm looking for :scratchhead:. Any help is much appreciated

In what way does your 1/8" NPT not fit? Anyway, my 1/8" BSP adapter has been working well for a while now. If you want to get one, probably the easiest is to buy some gauge kit that comes with one included. Alternatively you might be able to find something at an industrial hydraulics supplier.

In what way does your 1/8" NPT not fit? Anyway, my 1/8" BSP adapter has been working well for a while now. If you want to get one, probably the easiest is to buy some gauge kit that comes with one included. Alternatively you might be able to find something at an industrial hydraulics supplier.

So is it 1/8 BSP? Mine seems to be just a hair too big, does that sound right?

Edited by headpeace

So is it 1/8 BSP? Mine seems to be just a hair too big, does that sound right?

I can't remember the specifics. I would have guessed that 1/8 NPT would go in, but just be a little tighter or looser than ideal. But you should look it up in Machinery's Handbook or something to know for sure I guess.

1/8" BSP works for me, and I'd guess it would for you too, but I have no "proof" that it is correct.

• 4 years later...

Just wondering how to get the tube through the firewall? I drive a 1990 2.7td and the doesn't seem to be any spare grommets. Can/should I drill a new one? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

If you insist on running fluid in to the cabin, just use one of the existing grommets. I know I have the power for my CB pushed through the same grommet the AC drain uses. I'm sure a small tube would be just as easy.

But please, for the love of life, use an electric gauge. They are so cheap these days it's stupid not to.

• 3 weeks later...