My Newest Truck

Soccerstudd5

Since I know most people on here, including me prefer pictures with less words, I'll be quick. Grew up at NSRA car shows and always wanted a 48 Chevy truck, found one, fiance approved, bought it, going to work on it starting in the next few months.

P10702231.jpg

P10702241.jpg

Here's the link to the rest of the album: More Pictures

Mod's please feel free to resize, I never remember how to do that, my bad.

Edited by Soccerstudd5

They fit in with most rod niches in some way shape or form, and make some clean azz rods when done right :aok: just PLEASE don't tell me your gonna 'rat rod' it or I'm personally gonna take a trip to kick you in the pants and burn it to the ground... Leave that junk to things that ARE junk

I really like that grill/front end!!

Street rodder no, but I'd like to. I have some older toys but nothing that is seriously custom and I never had the money/space to do what I would like. Perhaps in the next few years... :shrug:

Good luck with it, I look forward to seeing what you do. :aok:

B

...as i go through your pics more...

that thing got a Blue Flame between the fenders! rebuild that thing and put a split manifold on it! you cant get a more vintage/awsome sound than that!

The guy who I bought it from was going to rad rod it out, but that's not going to be my route. It has the original inline 6 right now with all original suspension and drive train. It even has the old pedal to start it. It has no gas tank and the MC is out on the brakes, but came with a brand new MC. He said it ran when he got it 10 months ago until he pulled the tank. So with some brake work and a gas tank, it could be on the road while I save up money to do it right. Has a windshield, but needs the three windows. It will be a project, but it will be fun! I'll redo the suspension and drivetrain along the way too.

It is, except a very small amount of surface rust. It will be a longer project, but that just means I have time to do it right. And since I'm getting married this summer, I need to make sure my priorities are in order (says the future wife, lol). But I'll post pics for those interested of some progress when it starts.

Is it going to be a restoration or resto-mod? Personally I like the latter. Find a good way to chop 4"-6" out of the cab and hood and drop another 4" from the roof then bag all four corners. Slap a worked 327 and TH400 into it and a decent rear end and you're gold. On the other hand, a total restoration is also a sweet way to go.

Be sure to keep us posted. That's giong to be a real fun project whichever direction you take.

Is it going to be a restoration or resto-mod? Personally I like the latter. Find a good way to chop 4"-6" out of the cab and hood and drop another 4" from the roof then bag all four corners. Slap a worked 327 and TH400 into it and a decent rear end and you're gold. On the other hand, a total restoration is also a sweet way to go.

Be sure to keep us posted. That's giong to be a real fun project whichever direction you take.

I really like the way you think and I'm thinking almost the exact same thing. Gonna start with chopping it about 2-3" (maybe more, haven't decided yet) and then seeing how the hood looks, may not need to cut it down, we'll see. Gonna drop it and ideally bag it, but is an expensive option. Dad's friend has a rear-end for me and a 327 and TH350 (I think). I'd love to throw a big block and 6 speed in it, but will most likely have to wait on that, want a standard though. Might even find a LS1 with a 6 speed.

I'll probably just get it running for now and try to drive away in it at my wedding with the original stuff.

Retro custom... French the headlights, uneven drop (more sag in the back), all suspension, full bumpered, full roofline, 1 piece windshield, visor, shave some badging, leave a little, dummie spots, Royal Lancer hubbies, Cooper full whites, leave the blue flame (split manifold like I said earlier, actually a big aftermarket for that smoker)... I've built many in my head, like I said... Fits in many different niches. Was raised a more 'classic mild' rodder personally, but not a dam thing wrong with a more involved custom :aok:

Retro custom... French the headlights, uneven drop (more sag in the back), all suspension, full bumpered, full roofline, 1 piece windshield, visor, shave some badging, leave a little, dummie spots, Royal Lancer hubbies, Cooper full whites, leave the blue flame (split manifold like I said earlier, actually a big aftermarket for that smoker)... I've built many in my head, like I said... Fits in many different niches. Was raised a more 'classic mild' rodder personally, but not a dam thing wrong with a more involved custom :aok:

Would love to tub the back with some fatties paint the grill and get a roll pan for the back bumper, maybe wood slat bed, keep the split windshield, take off the chrome on the hood, shave the handles, no white walls or visor, not my style. I'll post a pic or two of some of my favorites from car shows later to show what I'm going for.

Not a thing wrong with that, just a little insite on my style. When I'm on my desktop next I'll dig a couple pics of the last fiew my hands were in of some of the family 'toys'

The joys of the roddimg hobby though IS that everyone can have completly different tastes but still get along and appreciate each others work/blood/sweat/tears. The guy with the rotted out-collaboration of a Dart is just as proud as the guy with a 1000 trophy winning full on Dean Merc. (not that trophies are the reason to go to shows, just a bonus if you DO win one... Just enjoy your pride and joy!)

Oh, I completely agree, that's one thing I enjoy about it too, getting to go out to shows and seeing what everyone has done and how different they all are but how you can tell each person puts a piece of themselves into their rods. Looking forward to seeing some of your work!

Cool. A stock TH350 should be fine up to around 400hp as long as you're not at the dragstrip every weekend and since its coming from a friend the price should be right. Definately keep the split windshield and all the hood/grill chrome. That type of thing makes it what it is. Me and my friend re-did an old '65 Fairlane 4-door 6-banger and one of the coolest things was the shift indicator had a lighted plastic piece on the column that said "Cruise-o-matic" on it. Schweet! Channeling the body might be tricky though since its so curved but a roof chop could prolly be done a bit easier. I think bagging it might require chopping the frame so drop spindles/shackles or coil-overs would prolly be more budget friendly and still give it the stance you're looking for. And for more budget savings you could paint it with Rustoleum and a roller. I did my Pathy and it actually looks good. Really, no foolin! I'll give you a tutorial when/if the time comes.

Or get the frame and running gear from a Suburban, lift it 8" and mount 44s on it! This is a 4x4 forum after all :)

Damn, now I want an old truck.

Cool,just dont add a sheet metal spoiler to the tailgate and it'll be awsome.

Did I not say that already? I thought I did, that's the first thing I'm going to do even before I get her running.... rolling.gif Just kidding, I can't even keep a straight face while I type that!