Horrible weekend...

tekazgtr1984

Yesterday has gone down in my books as a terrible one. My Pathfinder was the unfortunate victim of an idiot driver, the likes of which has become way too common in Winnipeg.

We got quite the snowfall here on Thursday (somewhere around 10cm), so winter is here in full effect. I guess some people failed to adjust to this fact, and because of it, my wonderful rig has been put out of commission.

I was driving southbound down a main residential street in my neighbourhood and had just left a very iced up and slippery intersection. As I'm acclerating, I see a silver Hyundai crossover going northbound, approaching the intersection way too fast. Sure enough, it begins to slide and will undoubtedly rear-end the beige Chevrolet sedan ahead of it. The driver, already well out of control, decides, in his infinite wisdom, to dodge the beige sedan by swerving into the oncoming lane (where I am) and side-swipe my truck. He hit me hard, ramming my truck into the curb and blowing out my passenger's side rear tire. Here's a diagram of what took place:

11202010.jpg

I open my door, completely dumbfounded this guy decided to drive into oncoming traffic to avoid an accident. Epic fail. I checked the damage, and it was ugly. Both doors on the driver's side look like crushed tin foil, with some slight damage to the B-pillar. The rear tire on the driver's side also has some damage and will need to be replaced. The rear tire on the passenger's side is completely destroyed and useless.

I don't remember much of what I said but I know it was peppered with profanity. I was livid to say the least. He told me to calm down several times; I told him to learn how to drive. I'll make sure MPI (insurance broker) knows this guy f*cked up big time. My friend came down and helped me put my spare on, which is smaller than my normal tires. I drove it home and that's that. It won't move until I can mount up matching tires.

Now for side damage. Here are some pics I took last night:

IMG_1592.jpg

IMG_1594.jpg

IMG_1593.jpg

I'm not sure what's going to happen with regard to my insurance claim; the damage to the B-pillar has me pretty worried. If my truck is written off, I'm hoping to get another R50. But for now, everything's up in the air and the fate of my '98 remains unclear.

Edited by tekazgtr1984

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It pains me to see it like that bro, you've put a lot of time into it. What matters most is that you're ok. That kid will get what is coming to him.

What I would do for now is put one of the front tires on the back and the spare on the front that way it won't mess up your rear diff.

It pains me to see it like that bro, you've put a lot of time into it. What matters most is that you're ok. That kid will get what is coming to him.

What I would do for now is put one of the front tires on the back and the spare on the front that way it won't mess up your rear diff.

I'm hoping to get 3 matching stock-size tires and take off the Toyo's before I take it in. Until then, this truck doesn't move.

This is the second R50 in the past month that has been hit! It's really a shame, but it just goes to show that anything can happen at any given time. Glad you're okay. Hopefully things work out, and if not, you could always interchange parts like arcano did with his new R50 if you get another one. It's hard to look at those pictures! :(

Sorry to hear about that. Though I am glad you are okay.

Hard to say what the insurance company will say. Repairing a '98 might not be worth it for them sadly. While the rest of the truck is still in good condition, just the replacing two doors, two tires, repaint, etc, might cost them more then it is worth. I have seen a lot of brand new cars scrapped for around the same amount of damage.

Guess you will just have to wait and see.

everyoen is unscaved and thats the important part :aok:

Ins. companys are retarded... like Northerpathy said, I have personally seen many a new car axed and written off over similar damage but have also seen some older/high miled/heavily damaged stuff get put back on the road. Definatly keep on the ins company's azz, especially in the winter time when claims/accidents are up a little more some claims slip through cracks and get kinda ignored so to speak (even when not it 'peak times' it happens, belive me...I see it regulary with some companies). A talk with your claims adjuster can help sometimes as well if it's close one way or another and you want it to go a certian way.

I was rear-ended in my 89 Sentra by some broad in a Mazda Tribute. My car slid into another car (which then slid into one more) and was damaged badly at both ends.

To keep the car, I "fixed" it myself and sent the insurance company some photos of my "repairs", taken at sunset. They were satisfied and left me alone.

Short story short, I got to keep the car and the insurance company was off my ass. If your truck is still straight and true, and if you don't want it written off, my approach may work for you. Best of all, it's not even fraudulent.

I'm also just glad you are OK.

But I have to say that I got angry just reading your description. I can't even imagine the things that would eminate from my mouth if that happened to me...considering how much work I've put in to my rig recently.

I wish you the best with the insurance company. Seriously, I'm actually pissed FOR you.

Saw these pics on FB.. crappy to say the least. Looks like the damage is isolated mainly to the doors like you mentioned. For something 12 years old I guess you never know what they will decide.

Goodluck on whatever happens in the end!

Hey man,

As I wrote on FB, it sucks. But it could have been much much worse. I know that doesn't sound like much consolation, specially after you put so much work and money into the car. But better some door dents and a tire than a major wreck. Guy who went to my college around the same time I did died because a girl in oncoming traffic decided to change her sweater and asked her friend to hold the wheel while she did so. Of course her truck went out of control. The guy swerved hard right so his door would take the brunt of the impact. He saved his pregnant wife but died in the process...

Can you check if it's just door damage and not unfixable unibody damage ? I have dents on my doors and was gonna go to the pick-a-part and grab some doors for $25. Tires can be replaced. If you can do that, maybe the insurance company can write you a check and you fix it yourself. It's just a few bolts and you can be back on the road with some $$$ in your pocket.

Anyway, important thing is you're ok.

Wow, That sucks donkey balls. I dread driving here when it rains. Glad you're OK and were able to drive away uninjured. As far as insurance goes, don't know what to tell you that hasn't been said. Also, do you have to get a police report for stuff like that there?

Jose

Hey tekaz where were you in the city when you got hit? I live in N.K. Hope MPI doesn't pull that no fault B.S. they like to do.

Edited by WPGQX4

Hey northpathy where were you in the city when you got hit? I live in N.K. Hope MPI doesn't pull that no fault B.S. they like to do.

Um, I believe it was tekaz (Tyler) who was hit. Unless I'm dyslexic and can't read, in which case I should stop now before it shows even more...

Jose

Tyler, if they cut you a big cheque to repair it, lmk, my brother is selling his 98 r50 as is with the same paint color as yours. the doors aren't rusty, and there are lots of good parts on it http://kitchener.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1998-Nissan-Pathfinder-All-Records-2nd-Owner-Good-Shape-As-Is-W0QQAdIdZ244010766

Thanks for the support everyone. I can't stress how happy I am to be a part of this forum. :)

Unfortunately, I woke up Sunday in some slight discomfort in my lower back. As the day progressed, the discomfort turned to dull pain. When I woke up yesterday, the pain was much worse. I called in to work to let my supt. know what happened so I won't be working this week. I went to physio yesterday and learned I have a lower back injury, more specifically dural inflammation to my sciatic nerve. Not only do I get to deal with my insurance agency regarding the status of my truck, I have to go to physiotherapy three times a week. Life is good... :/

Saw these pics on FB.. crappy to say the least. Looks like the damage is isolated mainly to the doors like you mentioned. For something 12 years old I guess you never know what they will decide.

Unfortunately, there are some bends/folds in the B-pillar... Not sure what that means in the long run.

Ty,

I'm sorry about the damage and the complete idiocracy of people. I hope this fiasco somehow benefits you (don't know how but here's to wishing). Keep us updated man.

Mike

Thanks, Mike. Will do. What really irks me is that the guy who hit me didn't seem too concerned. In fact, after I yelled at him, he had a stupid smirk on his face like what occurred was funny or something.

Hey man,

As I wrote on FB, it sucks. But it could have been much much worse. I know that doesn't sound like much consolation, specially after you put so much work and money into the car. But better some door dents and a tire than a major wreck. Guy who went to my college around the same time I did died because a girl in oncoming traffic decided to change her sweater and asked her friend to hold the wheel while she did so. Of course her truck went out of control. The guy swerved hard right so his door would take the brunt of the impact. He saved his pregnant wife but died in the process...

Can you check if it's just door damage and not unfixable unibody damage ? I have dents on my doors and was gonna go to the pick-a-part and grab some doors for $25. Tires can be replaced. If you can do that, maybe the insurance company can write you a check and you fix it yourself. It's just a few bolts and you can be back on the road with some $$ in your pocket.

Anyway, important thing is you're ok.

I'm okay but there's a footnote to that (read above). I'm not sure as to unibody damage but the B-pillar on the driver's side is damaged, so that could increase the likelihood of my truck being written off.

Hey tekaz where were you in the city when you got hit? I live in N.K. Hope MPI doesn't pull that no fault B.S. they like to do.

I live in NK. The accident took place at the bus stop near the Rothesay and Gilmore intersection.

Um, I believe it was tekaz (Tyler) who was hit. Unless I'm dyslexic and can't read, in which case I should stop now before it shows even more...

Jose

Tyler, if they cut you a big cheque to repair it, lmk, my brother is selling his 98 r50 as is with the same paint color as yours. the doors aren't rusty, and there are lots of good parts on it http://kitchener.kij...QAdIdZ244010766

Thanks but I found a '98 SE here in black with only 126K. I'm most likely going to scoop it up in the event mine is a total loss. ;)

Funny, I thought I had posted before this... :shrug:

Obviously, sorry this happened. That doesn't say enough but how else do you say it. Try not to hold anger for the idiot, it will only hurt you in the long run. Focus on getting things resolved as well as possible and taking care of yourself. You are young and with a little bit of care the back injury should heal just fine. Hell, take the opportunity to sleep in, soak in hot tubs, get massages and all of those horrible things... ;)

B

Funny, I thought I had posted before this... :shrug:

Obviously, sorry this happened. That doesn't say enough but how else do you say it. Try not to hold anger for the idiot, it will only hurt you in the long run. Focus on getting things resolved as well as possible and taking care of yourself. You are young and with a little bit of care the back injury should heal just fine. Hell, take the opportunity to sleep in, soak in hot tubs, get massages and all of those horrible things... ;)

B

I like the way you think, B. I'll definitely follow this advice. Luckily, physio includes massage therapy, along with other nice feel-good things. :D

Went for my estimate this morning, and the damage has been assessed at about $8,200. Unfortunately, a '98 R50 is only worth $5,500 on a good day so it looks like she may be a write-off. However, I brought all my parts receipts and the adjuster said it may be possible to save the truck if the total value in parts puts the vehicle's worth above $8,200. We'll see how that goes, though.

Right now, I'm looking at another '98, a black SE with only 126K km, so I may just swap the parts out and take the $5,500 buyout. I also found a crazy nice '01 QX4 with 129K km but the price is a bit higher. All-Mode and heated seats would be pretty sick, though. We'll see how this pans out...

In the meantime, I gotta ice my back and load up Gran Turismo 5. :aok:

The damage never quite looks as bad as the price tag says it is! When I saw the pics, I said to myself "that'll buff out" but its different with coverage insurance! Why can't you go after the kid for money to make up the difference?

I only have non-plpd on my motorcycle, and that has the highest coverage I could get..it is kinda nice for the DIY person...

I like the way you think, B. I'll definitely follow this advice. Luckily, physio includes massage therapy, along with other nice feel-good things. :D

B has good advice. Really really sux about the pain and damage. I don't know how the insurance laws over there work, but here I'd be calling a lawyer to discuss my options before agreeing to anything. Anyway, get well soon!

Went for my estimate this morning, and the damage has been assessed at about $8,200. Unfortunately, a '98 R50 is only worth $5,500 on a good day so it looks like she may be a write-off. However, I brought all my parts receipts and the adjuster said it may be possible to save the truck if the total value in parts puts the vehicle's worth above $8,200. We'll see how that goes, though.

Can they pay you the $5500 + value of parts even if that doesn't add up to $8200 ?

I also found a crazy nice '01 QX4 with 129K km but the price is a bit higher. All-Mode and heated seats would be pretty sick, though. We'll see how this pans out...

I dunno. My experience was that, with the right tires and driving approach, all-mode wasn't really necessary for our trucks. Manual 4x4 is much simpler and less complicated stuff (ABS sensors, computer calculations, blah) going on. All-mode is great for "set and forget" cars since it is basically 2Hi with a clutch pack that engages the front when the ABS sensors detect wheelspin. But, in our trucks, chances are if things are bad enough to have you thinking about 4WD, you will have good tires on and engage 4Hi BEFORE you get into lousy conditions.

Now, if you're getting it for the Xenon projectors, well that's a whole 'nother story. :lol:

Edited by GoPathyGo