Going to twin turbo Pathfinder

slick250

Here is a link of the Pathfinder with all engine parts in place, ready for the sand dune trip. A video of it climbing a couple dunes will be posted soon. My daughter videotaped it and needs to send it to me yet. I didnt get much of it due to me breaking my leg and seperating my ankle before I even got to drive it, so I gave the keys to my son Matt, and he blasted up a couple hills in 2WD and sprayed some sand for the camera, so that will be all I have until my clutch leg heals back up.

YouTube under : Twin Turbo Pathfinder

• Like 1

Thanks guys. I will try to keep this project up to date as much as I can. I have a bit of tuning and tweaking that may be a little boring and time consuming, but when finished, will get action footage of it.

DSC00896.jpg

DSC00895.jpg

DSC00894.jpg

I've been lurking on this thread for a while but had to jump in with props after seeing that last batch of pics...Looks a lot like my turbo Volvo project car under the hood...Simply amazing! :beer:

Edited by Cachefinder

Fun to work on is an understatement...LOL . I will be putting a new timing belt kit in it soon. Probably a 15 hour job.

I have finally posted the first video of it in action at the dunes. My son Matt was driving in the video because I had broken my leg the night before...so he was going easy on it so as not to hurt me too much in passenger seat..LOL. We were just in 2WD so we could have a little more fun throwing roost, and boy will it throw roost now! Once he got the feel of it, we were climbing most everything at Little Sahara in 2WD.

The video should have been shut off at around 1:08 of the video, but my wife forgot to shut it off, so ignore the last part of video...I couldn't figure out how to clip video down.

Edited by slick250

Oh man, you didn't do the timing when you had the motor out? Would have been SO easy on a stand!

The company I purchased engine from said it was a 35,000 mile engine, so I didn't do a belt. Recent investigations on engine condition could indicate higher mileage, so, just to be on the safe side, I will rebelt the engine. I wanted to make sure the engine I purchased was solid mechanically too, before I crank out good money on Genuine Nissan timing kit (not cheap on VG30DETT engine).

The company I purchased engine from said it was a 35,000 mile engine, so I didn't do a belt. Recent investigations on engine condition could indicate higher mileage, so, just to be on the safe side, I will rebelt the engine. I wanted to make sure the engine I purchased was solid mechanically too, before I crank out good money on Genuine Nissan timing kit (not cheap on VG30DETT engine).

Fair enough. Just seemed odd, but your explanation makes sense. Great work, by the way. :aok:

• 3 months later...

Man... I am so freaking floored by this build. It's beyond awesome in so many ways, but I can't express how much I have heard from people that this couldn't happen, no way no how. Mainly because the heads wouldn't clear the inner fender. Dammit. After my AAN 4kq is done I know what i am doing next. Nice work man!

Looks like all you have to do is tweak the fender wells and use a body lift then everything seems to fit right into place once you move all the other stuff around. I want to know one thing though and that is if he still has air conditioning. :tongue:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like all you have to do is tweak the fender wells and use a body lift then everything seems to fit right into place once you move all the other stuff around. I want to know one thing though and that is if he still has air conditioning. :tongue:

I did make clearance to mount compressor....it is in there. Condenser, evaporator, and all is still there. Just need to form new hoses to hook it all up.

I just got my ECM back from Ash-spec and it was tuned for race fuel and high boost. I am going to the dunes to try it out again this weekend. First time out since the 1st of May earlier this year when I injured myself. I am ready to get back on this project and get it dialed in!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did make clearance to mount compressor....it is in there. Condenser, evaporator, and all is still there. Just need to form new hoses to hook it all up.

I just got my ECM back from Ash-spec and it was tuned for race fuel and high boost. I am going to the dunes to try it out again this weekend. First time out since the 1st of May earlier this year when I injured myself. I am ready to get back on this project and get it dialed in!

So the A/C lines are ran the way they always used to be? That's very good then!

How did you run the exhaust? Any custom pipe building and bending?

So the A/C lines are ran the way they always used to be? That's very good then!

How did you run the exhaust? Any custom pipe building and bending?

The exhaust is all custom fabricated. Even the cast iron right side turbo downpipe was cut in half, reclocked to a new angle, and cast welded back together to get the exhaust away from the frame.

• 4 months later...

Digging this back up simply because its amazing. I've followed this thread while you were doing it, and read it a few times since and I can't even fathom just how difficult this must of been. It truly is inspiring to see someone take on a project so daunting, and with so many people claiming it couldn't be done, and finally come out on top to show it's possible and be able to silence the critics as well. You're clearly a dedicated enthusiast to be willing to not only take it on, but to spend all the time and cash to get it to where it is now. If you had to actually calculate your hours working on it, and put a shop rate on that..... man...... I can't even begin to think what it would cost. Kudos to you for a great job and I'm so very envious of your skills and abilities. I'm not very good gambler, but I'd bet that you're probably the only guy to have ever done this swap in a Pathfinder, and I don't think there are going to be too many other to follow in your foot steps. Way to go!

Anything you can update us on? Perhaps any new video's or insight on anything that has needed changing over the past few months?

Thanks Dowser..I appreciate it.

There are some videos on youtube if you search for "twin turbo pathfinder". I hope to have more soon. I am currently in the process of upgrading my fuel pump and performing some much needed maintenance (timing belt, water pump, fluid changes, etc...). I am working on upgrading the cooling system for the engine and building a cooling system for the intercoolers.

It now has custom tuned ECM from Ash-spec performance and will be capable of 15psi with race fuel as soon as I get the Wahlbro pump installed.

I will be taking it to Little Sahara Sand Dunes in Oklahoma again on April 13th for this years Snake Hunt weekend. I will get more video and try to post it.

• 1 year later...

:clap: You ARE a Pathy God! You have inspired me an will be my mentor (darn near hero!). I will be 4x-ing in the Marble Mountains and Klamath National Forest in Northern CA, and could use some extra ponies to haul my trailer w/gold prospecting equipment through steep mountain passes. I have often wondered about which engine rebuilds/swaps would work. Honestly, I was leaning toward a small block chevy or VG33. The twin turbo interests me, if not for the power, then for one of the reasons you mentioned in the very beginning of this thread, 'the sound'. I am interested in any additional advice or motor swap suggestions you may have. The one fault I find in my visions of grandeur-engine upgrade dream is, this treads mighty close to breaking my K.I.S.S. rule boundary, lol!

I'm not daunted by many machining tasks (dad and i just rebuilt the engine & tranny on our 1968 D-8 14-A cat) but your wiring skills, and transmission combination remedy are truly note worthy. Those projects may be a touch out of my league, but I'd be willing to invest time trying.

Now that you've had it running for a year are there things that you would have (or are going to) change?

One more smiley face to let you know this is a standing ovation. :clap:

I missed this thread the first time around. I'm glad it came up again. Awesome build.

I especially loved the part where guys were talking @!*%, then you did it and they didn't have anything else to say. Freaking forums. You'd think folks would learn to STFU with the useless negativity and try to offer actual insight.

Way to prove'm wrong. Bad-ass truck.

DUDE! That is insane! Where did you mount the battery? Also what exhaust are you running? And whats the RWHP? That is just sick! Maybe you can cut some holes in the fenders below the intercoolers and then have a fan under each one to blow air up thru the hood?

Sick sick setup...... I have no idea how you managed to figure out that wiring! :beer::popcorn::goodpost::blink::omg:

I missed this thread the first time around. I'm glad it came up again. Awesome build.

I especially loved the part where guys were talking @!*%, then you did it and they didn't have anything else to say. Freaking forums. You'd think folks would learn to STFU with the useless negativity and try to offer actual insight.

Way to prove'm wrong. Bad-ass truck.

Lighten up Francis!

This is a forum, not a support group. People can say that they don't think it will fit or whatever, that is merely their observation/opinion, not talking @!*%.

That said, it is obviously a very good job and an incredible amount of work. I wouldn't even attempt it as I don't have sufficient experience.

B