Knock sensor relocation

dirtypathy

So i have a 94 and i am having my check engine light come on and it is reading code 34 which is my KS. I have read on other forums that KS going bad is a common problem with the nissans and some people have just relocated it rather than taking the manifold off to get to it. I was wondering if anyone has done it, i have found some tutorials but they are for the R50's using a 1999 maxima harness. So basically i am just wondering if this will work. Thanks.

Cheers

yeah i was thinking of keeping it unplugged but i thought the connector also connected injectors. Could be wrong though. With it being unplugged will i still get the same ****** fuel mileage as i have now with a bad KS?

A better solution is what MaritimeMan did years ago...

Edit: as for the knock sensor, the new motor I put in didn't have the same mounting place as the old one, so I drilled a hole as close to the crankcase in the bell housing (where the tranny connects) as I could, then just bolted it there. It has been workin fine for the last 2 years. (knock on wood) B)

He relocated it and never had a problem. I couldn't find the thread on it, but I stopped looking when I found that quote...

I personally don't like the idea of unplugging it and hoping there isn't a problem... :shrug:

B

Yeah what i was thinking was mounting the knock sensor to the top of the engine in the hole of one of the bracket cable holders. Just get the same size of bolt but longer and hold it up there, only thing i do not know is if the KS harness has more than two wires. I need it to have two to splice it in. I guess i will just order the harness and hope it does not have the injector wires in the harness. The reason why people were using the 99 maxima harness for their pathfinder relocation was because it only had the two KS wires in the harness where as the R50 harness had the injector wires in the same harness. Well might have to guinea pig it. If it works out i will take pics or video of what i do and post it in to the "How-To" section for others that may stumble upon this problem and don't have time to take apart the manifold.

• Like 1

Have you gone to the Garage section and downloaded the 1994 Factory Service Manual in PDF form yet?? (pinned at the top)

That may have the wiring information in it...

B

Speaking of wich, It seems the carpdf.net password is not working. I been trying to get ahold of them but no luck so far.

When I had my Z32, guys would relocate the sensor to the side of the block. Would still work in bad knock conditions, but wouldnt get triggered so often. IN the real world, the sensor can be triggered due to many different things. Make sure your timing is correct. Recent tune up? What kind of fuel are you running? Are there any other engine issues?

I just bought this truck just over a week ago so i am not too sure about the history. I have yet to check the timing and have not done a tune up yet. I am running just regular 87 octane gas(i know i should run premium minimum 91 octane but i read that after the fact i fueled up a couple times). And there is no other engine issues to my knowledge. I ran the ECU and it said code 32 and 34 but i manages to find a cracked hose to eliminate the 32. The only other thing i have to fix is the starter. I need to replace it but do not have the time at the moment since it is a real pain to replace due to its location. I did download the service manual but i did not find the proper information i was looking for.

BTW i am new to Nissan's since just over a week ago lol. So ever piece of knowledge I receive I greatly appreciate.

Edited by dirtypathy

No. These engines are designed to run off 87 octane only, anything higher is completely wasting money.

Newer (VQ35) Pathfinders are recommended to be ran with premium fuel due to a higher compression ratio.

I have yet to check the timing and have not done a tune up yet. I am running just regular 87 octane gas(i know i should run premium minimum 91 octane but i read that after the fact i fueled up a couple times).

X2 to what Kingman said. 87 octane is all that's needed. At least inspect the tune up related items and timing to make sure there isn't anything obviously troublesome. The knock sensor code can be triggered by other things, more of a symptom sometimes as 5523Pathfinder said...

B

• 10 years later...

On 11/6/2010 at 4:18 PM, dirtypathy said:

Yeah what i was thinking was mounting the knock sensor to the top of the engine in the hole of one of the bracket cable holders. Just get the same size of bolt but longer and hold it up there, only thing i do not know is if the KS harness has more than two wires. I need it to have two to splice it in. I guess i will just order the harness and hope it does not have the injector wires in the harness. The reason why people were using the 99 maxima harness for their pathfinder relocation was because it only had the two KS wires in the harness where as the R50 harness had the injector wires in the same harness. Well might have to guinea pig it. If it works out i will take pics or video of what i do and post it in to the "How-To" section for others that may stumble upon this problem and don't have time to take apart the manifold.

Hey dirty did you ever have any luck with this? Going to try it next weekend.

30 minutes ago, Mr_Reverse said:

I relocated mine to the right side of the block above the oil filter. There are unused threaded holes in the side of the engine block and I just used one of them. 

Thanks! maybe I'll try that, sounds like a decent location. 

Torn between that and doing it right as I also could do plugs and replace plenum/intake gaskets at the same time if I tore it all apart.

i relo'd mine to the back of the driver's side head when I had my intake off (the sensor was fine, just didn't want to tear it all down again if it went later). There was a tapped hole back there all ready to go, and the harness reached. Probably not the best place for it, but it hasn't been an issue.