No reverse

ejin4499

Ok So I got a screaming deal on a 94 pathfinder the only problem is it wont go in reverse.I'm in the process of doing research on how these transmissions work and what is involved with rebuilding them.

I have already changed the tranny fluid but not the filter.

I'm not hearing any noises when it is in reverse and the low gears 1 and 2 work fine.

I'm working my way through the rest of the troubleshooting guide in the manual hoping I don't have to pull the whole thing.

Any thoughts ideas and information would be greatly appriciated.

Thanks

P.S if I have to pull this thing I will try and post a full guide with pics as I wasn't able to find one on the forum.

i have the same deal got a 94 for 700 and the trans went 2 days later and i just chucked the auto out and put a 5spd in so much better and easier.

so sorry to say rebuild or buy a new one the nissan autos are no good my 300zx went though 2 in 1 year

It's not the transmission, it's the factory cooler. Search harder and you'll find bunches of information.

Bottom line: reverse is gone (first thing to go 95% of the time) and you will need a new/rebuilt transmission.

It's not the transmission, it's the factory cooler. Search harder and you'll find bunches of information.

Bottom line: reverse is gone (first thing to go 95% of the time) and you will need a new/rebuilt transmission.

Oh I found tons of stuff on the crappy cooler and even more posts on people with the same problem I just haven't found any info on anyone who actualy rebuilt the transmission. I've seen people who say they rebuilt their transmission but they never say with what kit or what manual they followed. Everyone seems to make auto trans out to be some sort of magic box and only the those who are initiated can know the secrets. :shrug:

i have the same deal got a 94 for 700 and the trans went 2 days later and i just chucked the auto out and put a 5spd in so much better and easier.

so sorry to say rebuild or buy a new one the nissan autos are no good my 300zx went though 2 in 1 year

I've given that some thought. Isn't the gearing in the rear axle different on the auto vs the manuals?

im actually doing a whole frame swap but maybe. im using the auto rear diff. ill look into that tho

i alos rebuild the auto trans on my 88 300zx those are crap. i bought a kit for about 300 bucks then got the local nissan dealer to photo copy the factory manual for me. i rebuilt it cost me about 700 in the end as some of the parts were warn out quite bad. in the end it blew up as a c-clip did not hold at the track and blew fluid all over the road and ya still worked just not as well. i would recommend the 5spd 100% but thats me.

This is 100% true. You're best off finding a low mileage transmission out of a first generation Xterra and swapping it in. They bolt up, and are bomb proof. AFAIK, just the wiring harness needs to be extended, and the vent tube moved. I paid someone to do mine.

I've given that some thought. Isn't the gearing in the rear axle different on the auto vs the manuals?

Most autos got the 4.6XX differentials and the manuals got the 4.3XX differentials

im actually doing a whole frame swap but maybe. im using the auto rear diff. ill look into that tho

if you're using the rear diff, you better use the front diff as well, different gear ratios in the front and rear when you engage 4 wheel drive would be EPIC bad.

• Like 1

The first time I lost reverse, I was told that it was the pump that had started to go bad. Apparently, reverse takes a higher line pressure than forward gears and, when the pump goes, that is the first gear to depart. The second time I had tranny work done was due to my planetary assembly exploding.

I agree with all the above statements but have something to add. If you put it in drive, then quickly put it in reverse, does it engage? Mine started doing that a month after I bought the truck almost 3 years ago. I've put about 60k miles on it since then and after a flush, filter change and adding an external cooler AND filter it has seemed to get better. In mine if you get it to go in the first time it will engage 50 times after that.

But if it doesn't engage at all it is usually cheaper to just get another known good tranny from another truck. The autos in these things are very strong just the stock cooler clogs and no fluid = boom.

The problem isn't the stock cooler itself, it is the size of it. The stock cooler provides inadequate cooling for the transmission causing the transmission fluid to break down quickly and clog up the cooler with sludge and shavings. Just flushing the fluid, replacing the filter, and upgrading the cooler alone will fix all problems with the transmission.

You can bypass the stock transmission cooler in the bottom tank or you can run it in a series but only if you get a brand new radiator.

THe shift kit TNZ did seems like the way to go, I got one on order but I don't know when I'll actually do it. The kit is designed for a tranny that already has a ton of miles on it to correct factory isuess and improve drive quiality.

The problem isn't the stock cooler itself, it is the size of it. The stock cooler provides inadequate cooling for the transmission causing the transmission fluid to break down quickly and clog up the cooler with sludge and shavings. Just flushing the fluid, replacing the filter, and upgrading the cooler alone will fix all problems with the transmission.

You can bypass the stock transmission cooler in the bottom tank or you can run it in a series but only if you get a brand new radiator.

This is partly true, but once the damage has been done it's only buying time until the unit fails as a whole. The most complete fix is a new or rebuilt transmission, and an aftermarket cooler that bypasses the stock cooler.

Most autos got the 4.6XX differentials and the manuals got the 4.3XX differentials

what does this mean in terms of power vs top speed etc. I'm thinking about swaping the manual transmission from my rusted out 90 to this 94 instead of rebuilding the auto on the 94. Just tring to figure out the best differential to use.

thanks

what does this mean in terms of power vs top speed etc. I'm thinking about swaping the manual transmission from my rusted out 90 to this 94 instead of rebuilding the auto on the 94. Just tring to figure out the best differential to use.

thanks

It means you'll get closser to toping out your tach before you run out of enough power to accerlerate. Some of the 5spds with 4.3 gear out there struggle in 5th but can still make it to 100 or close.But barely because they run out of power. Put some 4.6 gears in an you will reach that speed or higher a little easier and be able to get closer to redline before you run out of power.

If you had a bigger engine behind the 4.3 gears then yes, 4.6 would limit your top speed but both are still capable of close to or over 100

Edited by MY1PATH

My auto can reach 100 easily and still has power to go faster:

46203_152745444741819_100000190938619_506806_4209549_n.jpg

I run bigger tires than stock, so I'm actually doing 95'ish.

Are you running everything on your engine stock? I looked at your profile and it doesn't say anything about any intake or exhaust mods?

when a tranny loses a gear its usually bad friction plates in the tranny. you can rebuild it but im told its almost a 30+ hour project. your better off just slapping another tranny it, and the stock CPU will work with a manual tranny.

• 8 years later...

was reading all the different ideals facts and opinions on the 94 Pathfinder with no reverse. I just bought one and reverse is out as well. What I really need to know is, if I choose to put a manual transmission in, is it my understanding that I don't need to change out the differentials?

Edited by Jwink84
Misspelled a word

• 1 month later...

if you're using the rear diff, you better use the front diff as well, different gear ratios in the front and rear when you engage 4 wheel drive would be EPIC bad.

When you swapped the transmission did you have to change over the transmission shift module as well? Or are they the same?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk