Error Code 51 (Injector circuits)... Where to go from here?

MadManMike

Hey guys,

So I wake up this morning and go to leave for work start up my pathfinder start backing out and immediately feel something is wrong. Feels like I am low on gas, but the gas gauge is still above E. Then all the sudden my check engine light goes on. I parked it and got a ride to work... When I came home I checked out what error codes the ECU was giving out and it said error code 51 (Injector circuits). My initial guess was clogged fuel filter (before I read the ECU), because it feels like I am running out of gas (restricted fuel).

Just curious at where I would go from here? Any troubleshooting steps, does that code mean anything to you?

Any help is much appreciated.

-Mike

I read somewhere fuel injectors are a common failure on pathys. Probably have to figure out which injector is giving you the trouble. Probably need a volt/ohm meter or something like that I imagine to test continuity, also to test the actual plug on the harness as well. Just guessing though.....I'm no expert.

Edited by Specv1973

VG30 fuel injectors in general have a high failure rate, Pathfinders, Hardbodies, 300ZXs, 200ZXSEs, etc.

While the engine is running, try unplugging one injector at a time. The one that makes no difference would be the dead injector.

VG30 fuel injectors in general have a high failure rate, Pathfinders, Hardbodies, 300ZXs, 200ZXSEs, etc.

While the engine is running, try unplugging one injector at a time. The one that makes no difference would be the dead injector.

Started the truck pulled the injectors off one at a time until I hit the 4rth injector and it made no difference. Going to the autoparts store now to pick one up. Thanks! (and I hope it's the only one!)

Started the truck pulled the injectors off one at a time until I hit the 4rth injector and it made no difference. Going to the autoparts store now to pick one up. Thanks! (and I hope it's the only one!)

How many miles are on your rig? If you've got the funds available, I'd buy them all and replace them. That way you know they are all good and won't have to start replacing them one after the other later on. :aok:

How many miles are on your rig? If you've got the funds available, I'd buy them all and replace them. That way you know they are all good and won't have to start replacing them one after the other later on. :aok:

Bout 130K

Well the auto parts store only had one. For now I think I will just replace enough to get me on the road again, but yeah I will probably just replace them all this Winter break.

-Mike

Here is a bit of fuel injector 101 I went through with my wife's 99 R50. The majority of the info pertains to the WD21s also. Were the WD21 injectors color coded also?? It is highly advised to replace the O rings whenever installing an injector.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27522&st=0&p=519461&hl=injector&fromsearch=1entry519461

B

Here is a bit of fuel injector 101 I went through with my wife's 99 R50. The majority of the info pertains to the WD21s also. Were the WD21 injectors color coded also?? It is highly advised to replace the O rings whenever installing an injector.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27522&st=0&p=519461&hl=injector&fromsearch=1entry519461

B

Not sure, they are pink. So here is a stupid question... Do I have to take off the fuel rail to get the injector out? Is the retaining clip on the bottom side?

If so this job just got a lot harder... Plenum, air intake, fuel rail. New seals.

-Mike

No, the injectors come out with one screw, the fuel rails stay. This was on an R50 but I'm pretty sure the WDs are set up the same, I'll verify that when I take a break.

Yes, the injectors are Nunya (pink) but will have a spot of paint on the top (black, blue, silver, etc). You may have to remove the electrical clip to see it though.

I think you simply have to remove the plenum and the injectors, install new injectors and seals replace plenum. Personally, I only replaced the faulty injector (because I didn't want to remove the plenum). I do have 5 more used spares...

B

No, the injectors come out with one screw, the fuel rails stay. This was on an R50 but I'm pretty sure the WDs are set up the same, I'll verify that when I take a break.

Yes, the injectors are Nunya (pink) but will have a spot of paint on the top (black, blue, silver, etc). You may have to remove the electrical clip to see it though.

I think you simply have to remove the plenum and the injectors, install new injectors and seals replace plenum. Personally, I only replaced the faulty injector (because I didn't want to remove the plenum). I do have 5 more used spares...

B

That is good news, because I really don't have time to remove the plenum and the air intake. This guy is the first injector under the plenum near the front of the car. So I think it should be possible to pop it out without having to take anything off. Oh I see, I had no idea about the color coding. i will have to check that.

I would be more than happy to replace all of them over winter break when I don't have so many other things to do, for now I just want to get it running so I can make it to school tomorrow.

Here is to hoping that I don't have to remove anything else.

-Mike

Ok, I just went out and looked. The injectors are held in with a top 'strap' and two screws, one on either side. For CYL #4, you can get to them through a gap in the plenum, just don't drop them!! You may have to remove the dizzy cap to undo the electrical clip, then grab the injector body and twist/rotate it back and forth firmly to break it free. All that is holdng it in at this point is the O-rings and age.

If you haven't removed fuel pressure and drained the rails before you remove the injector, any gas remaining will pour into the cylinder. I had to remove the plug and crank it to clear it. I didn't want to risk hydrolocking the cylinder.

It's not a bad job, I doubt you will have any real problems.

B

Ok, I just went out and looked. The injectors are held in with a top 'strap' and two screws, one on either side. For CYL #4, you can get to them through a gap in the plenum, just don't drop them!! You may have to remove the dizzy cap to undo the electrical clip, then grab the injector body and twist/rotate it back and forth firmly to break it free. All that is holdng it in at this point is the O-rings and age.

If you haven't removed fuel pressure and drained the rails before you remove the injector, any gas remaining will pour into the cylinder. I had to remove the plug and crank it to clear it. I didn't want to risk hydrolocking the cylinder.

It's not a bad job, I doubt you will have any real problems.

B

Wouldn't have been a big job if I wouldn't have stripped the screw, then it broke off inside the thing.... then while I was tapping it out I broke the cap... and bent the mount. A 4 hour trip to the junk yard and back and I have a new cap.

So the injector that the parts store gave me has a black dot on it... The one that I took out has a blue dot on it. What does this mean?

***Edit***

So I went to NAPA and they had a blue dot injector... Popped it in and my pathy purrs like a lion again.

Thanks for your help guys! I mean it... I would not be able to do any of this without these forums!

Edited by MadManMike

It means that you did the right thing, figured it out and got the right injector. :aok:

Sorry you had trouble, I'm guessing rushed or not the right screw driver?? Mine were tight, but I wouldn't expect rusted screws in Wa. Just curious... :shrug:

End of it all, she's up and running again and that is what this is all about!! :D

B

B

YES!

Please replace all the upper and lower o-rings whenever you pull an injector out of the fuel rail.

All WD21 Pathfinders with a VG engine use a black or blue injector. The color code is a dot on top of the injector, not the color of the plastic wire connector (usually pink). Dont mix and match injector colors.

Edited by Alkorahil

Sorry you had trouble, I'm guessing rushed or not the right screw driver?? Mine were tight, but I wouldn't expect rusted screws in Wa. Just curious... :shrug:

Well I just moved out of my parents house a few weeks ago (where all my, and my dads tools are at), into an apartment near school. So yeah, I pretty much stripped the screw because I didn't have a good angle with the screw driver I had. After I stripped it and broke the cap I limped it home and finished the job there with the right tools. I found what works well for taking the screws out from under the plenum (at least for the #4) was a 1/4 Phillips head socket attached to a ratcheting driver. Slid right in there and it was easy to do.

Live and learn :)

But it only took one day and its running fantastic! Better than it has in a while. I am thinking I might just go ahead and replace the rest of them this winter break just for tune up sake.

(and yes I replaced all the o-rings and seals and lubricated them).

-Mike