Drawing up the final build sheet for my SAS swap

I have opted to turn the pathy into almost a trail dedicated rig, but retaining street use. So I have thrown my IFS suspension upgrade in the trash because I already have 2 dailies and dont really need another one.

I am starting to get all the parts for the start of my SAS swap and was debating if I should use DANA 60 outers on a DANA 44 axle for peace of mind, because I dont want to run into regretting my choice in the end. Now I am basically running my entire build off of Nissannuts's spread sheet on his build. And I am taking alot of what he did and goin to try duplicate it because it is just a work of beauty... There are other questions that I have about which DANA 44 is the closest track width to the pathy becuase I am going to be swapping the rear as well and would like to pull them from the same vehicle. I have searched the forums and seen that most people have opted to use the late 80's- early 90's waggoneer 44's but is that the one that is the closest? I know that the factory rear is more than enough for the size tire that I am wanting to run which are 35's but I am eventually goin to be swapping in a smallblock and I know that it cant possible handle the power that it will be producing which is close to about 450hp and around the same amount of torque.

So If anyone could help with the questions that I have it would be much apprieciated, also any insite as to the DANA 60 outers and if they are neccicary...

Thank you

Joshua

Edited by jprater88

The H223B rear end is damn near equivalent in strength to the Ford 9", it can handle the power. Also, a Dana 60 is EXTREMELY heavy! Ever tried to pick one up? That's a ton of un-sprung weight added to a vehicle not designed for anywhere near that amount.

Food for thought on the strength of the stock differentials. Our R200 front differential is the rear differential in the Nissan 300ZXs. These have been proved to handle 600+HP without issue.

Well didn't know that about the H223B, And I wasnt planning on putting a Dana 60 in the front I was planning on putting a Dana 44 with Dana 60 outer Knuckles not only for the strength but for the use of high steering arms. And I wasn't just wanting to get rid of the R200 because of the engine that I will eventually be putting in there. I am wanting to make a more serious trail rig and for what I will be putting it through IFS wont do.

I misunderstood the first part then, that would be a good idea for reliability but not really necessary. I did, however, understand what you're saying about the SAS. I know you want to get rid of the R200, I was just pointing out as an example something that most people don't realize - the factory running gear is insanely strong. I can see the need to upgrade the rear axle if you run a lower gear reduction transfer case (factory TX-10 is 2:1) with the 450HP.

Sounds like you've done your homework, can't wait to see a build thread!

yeah the t-case would be replaced when the new engine goes in and i am debating which one to use not sure if i want to go overboard and do an atlas or just us a factory chevy t-case or even a NP231 out of a Cherokee

Been to www.Roninwheelers.com? A lot of SAS's Nissan Guru's hang out there. Could give you a hand if you find less info here on the subject. My advise is to listen to what some of these guys have to say and don't argue. Especially Ryan Gee. He's done some seriously amazing stuff.

Been to www.Roninwheelers.com? A lot of SAS's Nissan Guru's hang out there. Could give you a hand if you find less info here on the subject. My advise is to listen to what some of these guys have to say and don't argue. Especially Ryan Gee. He's done some seriously amazing stuff.

Thanks for the info I will check them out, And being a noob i will deffinetly not argue about sage wisdom on the subject.

I wouldn't go with the D44/D60 outers.

The D44 is a good axle but the H233B for comparison is stonger. The diameter on the ring gear D44 is 8.5" where the the H233B ring gear measures in reality about 9-3/8" and a D60 is 9-3/4"

The D44 will blow up before the D60 outers even think about breaking.

If you're looking into building a custom axle, consider a H233B/D60 hybrid instead the first one is almost done being build for me at Diamond Axle, I should have pictures soon. They will soon be available to order through Rugged Rocks

It'll be running Kingpin D60 outers, chromoly axle shafts with a 33-spline H233B center.

We'll soon have locker options of a 33-spline Lock-Right. ARB already makes an air locker. and we have another locker on the way.. more info on that in a few weeks.

Here is a sample pic of a toyota one:

nissan-diamond-axle.jpg

do you know what price range it will be, I am trying to keep this build inside a budget... It does sound really interesting that I could be esentually running the same third member. Also are there any High Pinion options for the H233b

I don't have final costs yet but i should have the front axle but i should have it together inside of a month.

Yes there are High Pinion H233B 3rd members out there with ratios as deep as 5.13 available but they're currently in Autralia, New Zealand, the UAE and Japan.

I'm working on bringing in emtpy HP 3rd members from Australia, and rebuilding them with all new internals.

so are they building the H233B to the factory track width or wider? Because I really dont want to have to run wheel spacers they put to much load on bearings and throw suspension geo. off

• 2 months later...

Hey stevo I was going to ask you in your 4link thread if you ever got final word on axle we were talking about... I will soon be in a position to purchase it if everything is to my liking... What i need to know for one is price, track width, and if you will be offering a complete axle assembly or just the housing