1998 Diesel Conversion

Ocman

Want to go all diesel with my rigs. Considered selling my Pathy and replacing with a diesel, but am kinda attached to it and if I could have it converted to diesel would keep it.

170k miles, 5 speed manual tranny. My understanding is that if a Nissan Diesel is used with a Manual tranny, it is mostly a bolt-in modification, with gas tank and filter modifications?

If anyone knows someone that is proficent at this and would be interested in another conversion, I am all ears.

I know Ty (tekazgtr) has been talking to me in the past about a diesel conversion and such. He may tune in here in a bit and shed some light on the subject. I am pretty sure that there are alot of diesel pathys over in Japan.

And be careful with emissions, and the swap would include changing every little thing over. Are you thinking of putting in a TD27? And yes the diesels came with a manual transmission. However if you use the 4 cylinder, the bell housing bolt pattern will be different. Good thing is, you can always swap bell housings.

If you do start this project, I'm in Vancouver and would love to come take a look...

Edited by Kingman

The Qd32 (i think) was in the R50. 4 cyl diesel turbo. Japan and other foreign markets had them. Best bet would be to call an engine importer and get a full front clip (you'll need the gauge cluster). Then you'll need to convert the fuel system. Hardest part might be the wiring, unless the chassis wiring is the same in the other markets. Good luck.

Jose

The Qd32 (i think) was in the R50. 4 cyl diesel turbo. Japan and other foreign markets had them. Best bet would be to call an engine importer and get a full front clip (you'll need the gauge cluster). Then you'll need to convert the fuel system. Hardest part might be the wiring, unless the chassis wiring is the same in the other markets. Good luck.

Jose

Spot on, the QD32det came standard in the R50 Terrano, they werent offered with a 5 speed, but the 5 speed out of the WD21 Terrano will bolt straight up.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info and encouragement..From what I have found out the Qd33 is a R50 series engine as the vg33e engine that is in my pathinder also is in that engine category. I just need to confirm the following to begin this project:

1) That the motor mounts are the same for both engines, which I believe they are..

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=23349

2) That I can bolt up to my 5 speed manual transmission which if these are the same engine class they should be the same. (Will search for specific dimensions of both bolt up patterns and clearances)

3) What is involved with setting up the ECU and how easy to integrate into my current electronics system?

This may not be able to be answered without just "doing it"

Seems like the perfect combo, Pathfinder and Diesel power...."Fingers crossed this is a doable conversion"

Here's the skinny on diesel motors in the R50 Terrano. ;)

There were three different engines, depending on the production year:

MY '95 - '97 - TD27T 2.7L inline-4 turbo (same as that in the WD21 Terrano)

MY '98 - '99 - QD32ETI 3.2L inline-4 turbo (electronic injection, intercooled turbine)

MY '99 - '04 - ZD30DDTi Neo-Di 3.0L inline-4 turbo (direct injection, intercooled turbine)

All three can be made to work in the R50 Pathfinder with modest modification. The only real issue I see would be the location of the brake booster on the JDM models. It is positioned on the right-hand side, whereas ours is placed on the left-hand side. Here's a shot of a QD-equipped R50 engine bay:

DSC07570.jpg

Besides that, it seems like a pretty simple and straight-forward swap. :aok:

The box in the top right looks like an intake silencer, as the filter looks like its the cylindrical looking thing below and in front of it. If so, then the brake booster shouldn't be a problem, since you could just dump it to make room. I wonder how the electronics would work between the QD and VG. Very interesting.

Jose

I think you're right, the waffle-box on the right (left-hand side of the vehicle) is probably part of the intake. It could very well be something else, I'm not sure.

My guess is the ECU's are programmed differently between the two engine variations. If I do end up going this route, I'd probably import an entire vehicle and part out the stuff I need. Piecing it together would be time-consuming.

Yea, a front clip is the way to go, or even a whole vehicle. I email J.E.I. (Japanese engine importers) who are here in VA. They said they can't import diesel engines. Wonder if this is a trend.

Jose

Its not a Nissan engine, but if you go for a Cummins 4BT you will be rewarded with stump pulling torque and unsurpassed reliability. Its a 3.9L OHV 2V/cylinder turbocharged direct injected 4 banger with 360 ft/lbs of torque before 2,000 RPM in stock form. If you tune the Bosch VE pump it will probably put down more like 450 ft lbs with no mods. All that is required for the mod is a screwdriver. I am not familiar with the 4BT directly, but I used to own its bigger brother, the Cummins 6BT which is essentially the same engine with 2 extra cylinders. Everything else is interchangeable between the two and the 6BT engine was a beast. They even share the same 4.02" x 4.72" bore and stroke. You will probably need to do more fabrication to get the motor and transmission to fit and match up with the driveline, but you won't have any electronics to work with. All you need to worry about is the wiring for the starter, the alternator, the external voltage regulator (Unless you swap the alternator for a later model Dodge unit with internal regulator) and a simple SPST or toggle switch for the intake heater. Other than that everything is mechanical, so you don't have any messy wiring harnesses to worry about. The 4BT is a popular swap for half-ton American trucks like Bronco's, but its also been used in Rangers, Wranglers and the like with great results. They were originally designed for large delivery vans, construction equipment, and farming equipment. Cummins recommends 400,000 miles between overhauls for best performance, even with its non-sleeved block. With a claim like that, you know they aren't messing around.

Match the 4BT to a Getrag 5 speed transmission, pick an aftermarket clutch from just about any Dodge Ram diesel, bolt up a transfer case, fab some new driveshafts, fab the mounts, plumb all your lines, take the truck to an exhaust shop and call it a day. The downside is the 4BT engine alone weighs nearly 750 pounds, but its built like a brick crap-house. You might find that its too much torque for the driveline, but I've never heard anyone complain about having too much torque. ;) The last downside I can think of is the redline. The engine will only rev to 2,800 RPM, but with a simple governor spring modification you can run 3,200 RPM with a brick on the gas pedal for weeks on end and the motor won't stop 'till it's out of gas. I think this engine is worth considering. They're reliable, powerful, and they sound great. I used to be a member of a Cummins diesel forum years ago when I owned that truck and there were people with upwards of 600,000 miles on 4BT and 6BT engines. The highest mileage I've ever seen that could be proven with documentation was 1.2 million miles. Mine had just over 300,000 and it started in half a crank, unless it was the middle of winter in which case it started in two full cranks.

When I had my Dodge 1-ton truck with the Cummins 6BT and a Getrag I could brakestand my 33" BFG A/T tires from a dead stop starting off in third gear. I didn't even need to touch the throttle to get them spinning in second, just hold the brakes and let out the clutch. It was even funnier when you're idling along in third gear and decide to stomp on the brakes. The truck would just stop and the rear tires would wail for mercy, even without hitting the gas. That thing didn't even flinch on a truck with a GVWR of 8,700 pounds, so I can only imagine what a 4BT will do in a Pathy.

Edited by PlatinumRacing

Sounds like a great engine, just not sure about how great it wouyld be in a Pathy. And seems like a lot of work, especially since we want a drop in motor. But something to consider for sure. you should do it!

On another note, I emailed password:JDM about importing the QD32, and they also said no-go on getting it. WTF? So emailed them and JEI about the reason why. Has to be some stipulation or higher fees on their part about bringing diesels over. Grr...Anyone else have an importer I can try or they can try? We need to find an importer!!

Jose

Sounds like a great engine, just not sure about how great it wouyld be in a Pathy. And seems like a lot of work, especially since we want a drop in motor. But something to consider for sure. you should do it!

On another note, I emailed password:JDM about importing the QD32, and they also said no-go on getting it. WTF? So emailed them and JEI about the reason why. Has to be some stipulation or higher fees on their part about bringing diesels over. Grr...Anyone else have an importer I can try or they can try? We need to find an importer!!

Jose

Fail. A diesel should cost less to bring over, seeing how much better it is environmentally. I think it's moreso the lack of demand but that shouldn't matter. PW:JDM and JEI both sound like lazy @!*%es to me. :thumbsdown:

I know someone who leaves for Japan on the 26th. He goes twice a year (usually spring then fall) and gathers parts he ships back here in a sea container. Quite a sweet gig and he gets free trips to Japan... Lucky bastage.

But I digress. Maybe I can see what he'll charge for a QD, or even a ZD. It'd be nice to get all the hardware, too.

hi from freeeezing england, i have pathfinder , its called a terrano r3m in japan and came with a 2.7 td i engine , diff lock straight from the factory, its great on fuel too 30 miles to the gallon. its the price of the gallon here that's not good £ 5.00. alot of impoters offering these at moment,

Franc

hi I guess I am realy, but they are not common here , I think people are afraid of trying out new things, and also parts are difficult to source. but i love mine and with folks on the forum posting pics etc I will be lifting mine by a few inches soon . take care

Franc

i'm thinking exactly same thing as OP. i like the size and utility of my pf, but would like a diesel. i'm towing quite a bit and the gas mileage is killing me. little more torque for hills would be good too, there is one hill in particular which i just barely barely make in 2nd gear.

i'm in california, so that 4bt idea is very interesting as i need to figure out if i can legally do a nissan diesel swap. i found an outfit here which has a nissan diesel listed though http://www.stcengines.com/products/details/?p=1 so i'm going to ask them.

for emissions, the 4bt should be no problem though so i've gone and signed up at http://www.4btswaps.com to read through the transmission/tc options.

subscribed and interested what y'all find out.

Edited by jasonb

got this back from soshinusa.com:

Hi, thank you for your inquire we currently have a TD27-T engine with 4x4 transmission that you can use

On your pathfinder this is a used low mileage Japanese engine it has around 35k to 60k miles.

This particular engine we have it available for $2,750.00

Edited by jasonb