skid plate bolts

Tungsten

I already did a search and found nothing...

ugh the search thing sucks here

Can anyone tell me what the bolt and thread sizing is for the stock wd21 skid plate? I know this was posted before somewhere but now I can't find it. :scratchhead:

I don't cross-thread my bolts. I heard about the drilling them out piece before too but I think the stock bolts are sufficient. Keep in mind Japan has a tendency to make things really small but really tough at the same time. Also, they can be drilled bigger later in case anything happens.

I don't cross-thread my bolts. I heard about the drilling them out piece before too but I think the stock bolts are sufficient. Keep in mind Japan has a tendency to make things really small but really tough at the same time. Also, they can be drilled bigger later in case anything happens.

I've sheared em off a few times. I run a very small drill thru em and they usually spin out the outher side. Its just easier to stay center on a larger bolt and so one day I will go larger

but larger usually shear in a way that they won't spin when you drill...

I broke all of mine. Skinny little things just didn't hold up.

• 3 weeks later...

73121_444957464074_612879074_5286796_4988194_n.jpg

So the M6x1.0x12 bolts with M6 locking washers worked out great but I would not use anything shorter than that. That's all I could find at the Home Depot. The rest of the fasteners were either stolen from the packets or ravaged. Those damn thieves can't spend 50 cents! :stickwack:

there should be a welded bracket or nut on the other side

mine had a thread there

before you put bolts in, if they haven't been in there for a while, chase the thread with a M6x1.0 screw tap

So the M6x1.0x12 bolts with M6 locking washers worked out great but I would not use anything shorter than that. That's all I could find at the Home Depot. The rest of the fasteners were either stolen from the packets or ravaged. Those damn thieves can't spend 50 cents! :stickwack:

Watch after 1 or 2 winters they will be rusted to @!*% and break off like mine did. I only have 3 bolts holding mine now. I just used some course thread self tapping bolts.

Watch after 1 or 2 winters they will be rusted to @!*% and break off like mine did. I only have 3 bolts holding mine now. I just used some self tapping bolts.

they won't break off, they are stainless steel bolts

i'm not planning to drill them out either because longer/bigger bolts like to travel through other surrounding things

also they get removed and cleaned with every oil change

i had worse fasteners in there before and they did not break off

the trick with those things is to get them as short as possible (and don't forget the washer) that way you are required to put less torque on the head to spin the bolt if it is frozen thus decreasing the chance of snapping it off

Edited by Tungsten