WD21, D21, and R50 Lube Specifications

Kingman

I was sent here by another member , I'm changing all the fluids in my 95 manual trans WD-21. I am concerned with all the different options... What should I use and how much for the transmission/transfer case? Thanks

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

GL4 gear oil.

You can get it off of amazon, it's very hard to get from parts stores.

I'd go with the Amsoil synchromesh fluid if it gets below -15*F. It gets difficult to shift with standard gear oil around that temp.

5 quarts for the transmission. Add through the shifter.

Transfer case is 2 or 3 quarts, add up to the fill plug.

Edited by PathyAndTheJets

• 5 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

OK guys;

I have Read this entire thread ...... sorry if dumb ques ?? I have a couple of Xfer case fluid ques ?

Per the previous posted photo/reply of said FSM says " Xfer case can use ATF and / or APL GL4 ".

I bought 2 new qts of Valvoline Syn Transfer Case Fluid from Autozone. Drained black gear oil from Xfer case. Poured 1 bottle of " Valvoline Syn Xfer Case Fluid " and its was real thin, red, sweet smelling like ATF ...... I said " Whoa !! "

I then drained said 1 quart of Valv Syn Xfer Case Fluid.

I only had APL GL5 for the front diff, so I used the APL GL5 in Xfer Case.

1. Can I use APL GL5 in Xfer case ?

2. Does it have any brass/copper that may get jacked up by the APL GL5 ?

3. If so sholuld i redrain Xfer case and place APL GL4 ?

4. Does any1 use ATF in their WD21 Xfer case ?

Im 47 and the Ol' school mechanic in me doesnt feel right placing ATF in Xfer case.

btw, i have a stock 91 Pathy SE 4WD, Autobox.

TY,

Frank

Edited by Frank_WD21

• 4 weeks later...

It is fine to use ATF in the tcase. It used to be gear oil but at some point along the years they switched it. No idea why. The cases are the same. Most new vehicles use ATF in their transfer cases. I have always run ATF in mine for thousands of miles (like 200k) and no issues at all.

There are no syncros in the tcase so you're probably fine with the GL5.

IIRC these transfers were originally filled with whatever was in the transmission--so oil if bolted to a manual, ATF if on a slushbox. They're not real complicated so they're not real picky. Maybe the matching fluid spec was so a bad seal in between can't mix oil and ATF, though I haven't heard of anyone having that issue on a Pathfinder. It could just be a convenience thing. Both my '95 and '93 (both slushbox) had ATF in the transfer cases, and when I drained them, I refilled with the same.

My friend's S10 Blazer uses ATF in the transfer as well. This was a good thing when the one seal separating the his transfer case from the 4L60E decided it had seen enough and allowed the transmission to overfill the transfer case. I've read that the Nissan setup is better designed but I haven't stared at the manual or cracked one open to check.