Ignition wires under dash

Chriskaw440

This weekend my 1990 experienced a "no start" and left me stranded on I-95....turns out there is an apparent short in the ignition wires under my dash around/near the steering wheel column, and it interfears with the car stereo (when I turn the key, all the lights come on, and the stereo cuts on, then turns off...even if it was shut off manually). Something is interrupting the current to the starter. It's not the battery as it was replaced.

When I realized the stereo issue....I reached up under the dash in the area more or less over the gas pedal where the wiring is and some relays....moved them around some...tried the key, nothing, reached up again and moved them around some more, turned key....truck fired up!! Finally able to finish my trip home from NC. Now this morning, its the same issue...no start, but power to everything else.

I've never had to work with the ignition wires so I am not sure what color they are or which relays, if any under there, may relate to this issue.

ps...I'm not the monkey that installed the stereo or any of the other junk like trailer braking system that used to be all under there.

• Like 1

maybe remove the stereo and get it installed properly?

it was installed professionally years ago..but I recently removed all the trailer-brake stuff since I dont tow any trailers and they were all piggybacked onto the brake wires and junk by god knows who....so thats probably what started it all...

• 5 years later...

This weekend my 1990 experienced a "no start" and left me stranded on I-95....turns out there is an apparent short in the ignition wires under my dash around/near the steering wheel column, and it interfears with the car stereo (when I turn the key, all the lights come on, and the stereo cuts on, then turns off...even if it was shut off manually). Something is interrupting the current to the starter. It's not the battery as it was replaced.

When I realized the stereo issue....I reached up under the dash in the area more or less over the gas pedal where the wiring is and some relays....moved them around some...tried the key, nothing, reached up again and moved them around some more, turned key....truck fired up!! Finally able to finish my trip home from NC. Now this morning, its the same issue...no start, but power to everything else.

I've never had to work with the ignition wires so I am not sure what color they are or which relays, if any under there, may relate to this issue.

ps...I'm not the monkey that installed the stereo or any of the other junk like trailer braking system that used to be all under there.

Thanks http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/public/style_emoticons/#EMO_DIR#/smile.gif -Chris

Some more input on this from anyone would be great experiencing same issues.