Yet another lift question - 2003 LE

Bassomatic

Hello,

As always thanks in advance. I have looked and not found all the answers, well, I have found answers for a lot of other year models but not for the 2003. I have a 2003 LE 4x4 all stock except new BFG Mud Terrain KM2 245/70 R17 (that ya'll helped me with)...they fit and work well. (No rubbing yet, but I have not gone off-road yet, when I do I am sure there will be some rubbing.)

Anyway, here is my question(s):

I am looking at a AC/4x4 Parts lift kit - https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-suspension-package-p-1554.html it is the one with four coils, GR-2 Front Struts, Rancho RS5000 Rear Shocks, and Strut Tower Mounts.

Is this a good kit, should I go with the Bilstein rear shocks, do I need the strut tower mounts (I see some without the mounts)? I have read to stay away from the Rancho front struts and go with the GR-2 struts, I have also read to use OEM or factory tower mounts.

Also, how much should I budget for installation? I will not be doing it myself, I do not have the time or skill. Another thing, I plan to have a bumper/winch ( http://www.kenmtnac.com/WinPat9904.html ) installed at some point so I know that will carry some extra weight.

Lastly, what else do I need? Camber alignment kit, or some other thing I don't know about?

I am planning on keeping my stock 17" wheels and the BFG Mud terrain 245/70 R17's currently installed and adding Warn manual locking hubs in the future to get a little better MPG and reduce wear on the drive train.

Again, thanks for the help.

I am looking at a AC/4x4 Parts lift kit - https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/pathfinder-suspension-package-p-1554.html it is the one with four coils, GR-2 Front Struts, Rancho RS5000 Rear Shocks, and Strut Tower Mounts.

Is this a good kit, should I go with the Bilstein rear shocks, do I need the strut tower mounts (I see some without the mounts)? I have read to stay away from the Rancho front struts and go with the GR-2 struts, I have also read to use OEM or factory tower mounts.

Here is my personal opinion on it

http://colinnwn.blogspot.com/2007/12/installing-suspension-lift-on-my-2001.html

All 2001-2004 Pathfinders are almost identical as far as lift kit considerations go. You only need to second guess putting on manual hubs if you have automatic 4x4.

I've been happy enough with my AC lift springs, but if I had it to do over again, I'd probably use the Old Man Emu 1.5 inch lift springs instead. The AC lift springs are very stiff, and really at the limit of how much suspension lift you can do.

Don't use Rancho RS5000 shocks. Personally I'm not picky on brands, but don't use anything that the manufacturer doesn't say is compatible with your car. Rancho says RS5000 don't work for Pathfinders.

I've been very happy with my GR2's, but I've heard you can find them for about $20 less each at tirerack or sometimes locally. There are at least 2 versions being sold for this truck, one with a captive nut bracket, and another with a fork bracket in the same place. The fork bracket holds the ABS sensor wire. Not sure what the captive nut bracket holds. They are somewhat interchangeable if you need the fork, you can cut it off your old one, and use a bolt to bolt it to the captive nut on a new strut. That's what I had to do. Not sure how you can ensure you get the right one from the start.

I didn't replace my upper strut mounts, and to this point I don't regret that. But I can also fairly easily change them myself. If you have any amount of clunking or strange sounds from your suspension, replace the mounts with only Nissan OEM mounts. Last I heard, AC sold aftermarket mounts that aren't reliable.

There is no need to change your wheels to 3.75 backspace unless you are actually going to put 31" or 265/75 tires on your truck. You do need 2 camber alignment kits. When I bought them, I found them for half that price at Summit Racing.

I have no idea how much it would cost to have the lift kit installed in a shop, but I'll E-WAG it at about 6 hours of shop time or around $500.

Edited by colinnwn

Thanks for the input, so I should go with the Bilstein shocks...or just get the springs and order the shocks for my truck from somewhere else.

Question - are the shocks different size from stock? In other words, are the shocks in the kit longer for the 2" lift, or do I just order shocks for a stock 2003 Pathfinder or do I need to specifically order shocks for a 2" lift. I could just get the springs from AC, go to a mechanic and say, "here are the springs, I need shocks - please install it - all thanks you!"

Concerning the hubs - I do have (I think) automatic 4x4. I have 4 settings, 2wd, Auto, 4 high, and 4 low. Why would I not want the manual hubs...I have read that the manual hubs allows me to get better MPG and less wear because I can dis-engage the system and therefore it will not turn when it is not in 4wd.

Thanks again!

You only need to second guess putting on manual hubs if you have automatic 4x4.

Can you clarify this - If I have Manual 4x4, do I need manual hubs, or only if I have automatic 4x4.

As colinnwn stated AC knowingly falsely advertises the Rancho RS5000's as appropriate for the R50. I spent 30 minutes on the phone with them to no avail....they believe..in fact insist.... it is ok to sell them as appropriate for the vehicle despite the fact they are not....as confirmed and documented by Rancho. Colinnwn clearly states in his blog why RS5000s do not fit properly. This, along with some terrible customer service I've experienced leads me to be very distrustful of anything from them. you are warned. Note that Rancho DID make RSX17000 shocks for the rear of R50 Pathy's but those have been discontinued....though there are still some for some years in the supply pipeline.

When I go to replace my springs I'm going OME no doubt based on all the research I've done.

I replaced my front struts with the KYBs this summer and so far so good. I also replaced all the strut mount components with OEM based on recommendations on here....it ain't cheap but dang if my front end ain't smooth as buttah now. Insulators seemed toast but bearing seemed fine but already had the new one so in they went.

If you have automatic hubs then the front axles don't spin unless you are in 4WD. If you have flanges then things spin all the time and some folks put in the manual hubs because of that.

Ive also heard that if you have the ALL MODE transfer case...2wd/auto/4wd hi/4wd lo...then there is potential for extreme damage if you use the 4wd in AUTO mode... any one confirm or deny????

Tye

Not to Hijack, but why are people exploding CV joints, down on the PCOA boards I asked this same question, they do not have any issues with 2 inch lifts and CV joint destruction. Is it simply the type of wheeling that is done or possibly the tire used ?