TBI to Z31 MPFI swap

Kingman

Thanks guys. I was so close to setting it on fire, seriously. I figured out the 3 problems within 10 minutes of each other. Crossed coil wire on my part, the fuel pump relay, and I hooked the injectors to a safety relay that puts full 12V out instead of 11.1 from the computer.

Holy hell 7 grand rev limiter! :lol: It runs, but not well yet. It's still gotta learn it's self at the rate of DOS so it'll be a while. I need to adjust the TPS, it wouldn't rev with it plugged in very well as you can see. Once I unplugged it, it was very rev happy and pegs red line way faster than the TBI could ever dream of. Me likey!!! :D I set the idle to 900 instead of like 4-500 where it was at before so it runs smooth now. I haven't driven it yet, I still need to get some flexible tubing to run to the air filter and seal up all the wires I have crossed every which way. But she's a runner, so at least there's a baseline now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TMR9Mss6QII

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EENSDvT3BtM

"doesn't like to rev" headwall.gif don't rev it when its cold.

It was warmed up smarty pants. :tongue:

It was because I had the TPS sensor plugged in. Unplugged it revs fine. :shrug:

Yeah, my coolant hose didn't last. It started pissing all over my exhaust manifold. I need to go buy more hose clamps... or steal some from something else laying around...

And holy effing hell it's got way more power. When it would quit sputtering and actually drive. It definitely pulls harder, and all the way up to 6.5K too. Totally different feel, I like!!!

james doesn't sleep, I seen him txt me questions @ 3am when I'm working a 12hr night shift @ work lol.

Grats james, don't keep the neighbors up.

Your name is James too! you must be a really cool dude! Your second video sound awesome, I love the sound of a high revving motor. You gonna break some @!*% now!

James

Lol yeah that's my name. It really is a good one. ;)

Since there's no air filter hooked up it sounds friggin amazing, hearing the suuuuuuubrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaap through the intake with the Flowmaster exhaust is killer. I totally spaced my buddy was over and he's got a Droid phone, takes stellar video. I should have used that.

I also noticed how ironic it was that MY1PATH said not to wake the neighbor, and in my video I say something like "i bet the neighbor appreciates this" and then go for another rev sesh. Hah.

Strangely the intake is no quieter with the air box. Works for me!

Please ignore the shoddy wiring... I've been too busy driving the thing to go through and redo some of the jumbled mess.

1013101802.jpg

I've got a serious issue to work out however. The TPS refuses to cooperate, even with re-wiring stuff, and when it's plugged in the engine will idle like silk but refuses to rev past 2500 unless I hold the throttle wide open. At that point the engine sputters, thinks about things for a while, pops once, then goes wide open. With the sensor unplugged it idles like complete ass and blows rich black exhaust but revs and drives perfectly fine. As soon as the sensor is plugged in the idle goes back up to 900 and is perfect. Unplug and it drops to about 500 and sputters and sounds like a cammed V8. I think tomorrow I'll mosey on over to the junk yard and pull a TPS, hopefully that will clear it up. After that the last step is to weld in an O2 sensor bung and plug the sensor in.

Why does making a coolant hose that starts at 3/4" ID and opens up to 7/8" ID have to be so farking hard? Couple trips to NAPA to even find a hose that did that, a bunch of cut up metal tubing, and lots of guesswork... here's the disaster now known as my thermostat bypass hose for the heater core.

1005102133.jpg

1005102134.jpg

1005102134a.jpg

I also ran the fuel injector wiring to the ECU. Wasn't that productive of a day... :shrug:

Go to a hardware/home improvement store and buy a plumbing piece, a reducer and or elbow or what ever you need. That ghetto fab won't last and shouldn't be on your truck.

You just need to slow down and think first. It's actualy faster and easier in the long run... ;)

"doesn't like to rev" headwall.gif don't rev it when its cold.

*sigh*

You are going to wear your forehead out...

Yeah, my coolant hose didn't last. It started pissing all over my exhaust manifold. I need to go buy more hose clamps... or steal some from something else laying around...

See above...

B

You need to put the name plate back on top the intake. That would make it look really cool!

James

It's too tall to fit through the firewall. I'm pretty surprised that the back of the intake hasn't touched the firewall once. I don't see any marks in the black paint where it would have. :shrug:

I also like the look of the runners in the intake better than a boring flat plate.

Go to a hardware/home improvement store and buy a plumbing piece, a reducer and or elbow or what ever you need. That ghetto fab won't last and shouldn't be on your truck.

You just need to slow down and think first. It's actualy faster and easier in the long run... ;)

B

The longer portion of the hose is a molded piece with 2 different sizes on each end. The 90 degree metal elbow is a factory part of the cooling system and so is the part of the hose that comes off the heater core.

Here's your stupid video. It wouldn't hit 105 because my insanely fat friend was in the passenger seat. :thumbsdown:

The engine note is not the exhaust, it's the intake. It's really that loud. By my count it's roughly 9 seconds to 60 with 285 extra pounds in the passenger seat. :shrug:

Edited by Kingman

Here's your stupid video. It wouldn't hit 105 because my insanely fat friend was in the passenger seat. :thumbsdown:

The engine note is not the exhaust, it's the intake. It's really that loud. By my count it's roughly 9 seconds to 60 with 285 extra pounds in the passenger seat. :shrug:

That thing does sound good! Looks to be haulin ass to, fat friend and all!

James

My buddy had his hand in front of the intake, and when I red lined it, his hand actually got sucked in to the air box. It was pretty funny since he freaked out. :lol:

It does a lot better than what it used to, it was about 12 seconds to 60 with the TBI and now it's down to 9. Not bad, considering I barely paid anything for the swap and nothing for the entire motor in general. Eventually I'll put Mr.510's headers on it, 2.25" cross over pipe, 2.5" pipe from there to where the cat would be, then 3" out the back.

Finally fixed the idle issue, wasn't the TPS at all but a horrendous vacuum leak in the IACV. I guess by plugging in the TPS it would sense the issue and correct it immediately, masking the real issue. Now the idle is silky smooth at 900, and not blowing clouds of black exhaust out and spilling raw fuel from the tail pipe on to my driveway. :jig:

• 2 weeks later...

So I've been driving the truck daily and haven't had a single issue. I raised the idle a little bit so it's higher when the headlights, heater, and rear defrost are on at once. I keep forgetting to get a smaller pulley for the alternator.

It developed a little varnish issue with one of a lifter doing 60 MPH on the freeway last week. Randomly started tacking. It tacks now and then... either dead silent or sounds like a lifter is trying to escape. I ran a half a quart of ATF for 200 miles to clear some stuff out, and I just changed the oil and it hasn't come back yet. It mellowed out a bunch after adding the ATF, initially shutting up within 30 seconds of dumping it in. I'll just add a half a quart 200 miles before every oil change to keep the motor squeaky clean.

I've gotten used to the power upgrade, and now it needs more. :lol: