Maxima Alternator

GrimGreg

So, I had bought an alternator from an 80s VG Maxima last summer, and it just sat there collectiong dust. Today I was doing some other work, and had been having charging issues, which were due to a loose alternator belt. I figured while I was under the hood, I would go ahead and do the swap. It is almost totally a direct swap, just need to remove the serpentine pully on it and put the Pathy V-belt pully on it, which is a single nut. The wiring is the same, so it is "plug-n-play" that way. Bolted it in and tested it, I was charging 13.5V at idle like it should, it hasn't charged over 12.5V in the last 2 years, even when the belt was tight!

So you go from a 70 amp to a 90 amp without doing any real modifications! Get out there and do it! :laugh:

• Like 1

I wouldn't bother going from the 70 to a 90 but the 95 to 97 maxima alternator comes in either a 110 or a 125 amp version, but it may not be a direct bolt in compared to the 80's style. I swapped a 110 amp into my 90 sentra, big difference 60 to 110 amp, all I had to do was make one bracket, change the pulley and the plug.

my 110amp quest alt produces 60amps at idle LOL and 110amps at 3500 rpm but a little more work but and i think your old one was only 60 amp

I thought they were 60 too, but the tag had 170 on it, and the Maxima one had 190 on it, so was my assumption it was a 70... :shrug:

Originally I was going to do a Quest unit, but I didn't feel like hastling with the machining work to get it to fit and line up.

What year max and what year is your pathy?

Goein by his info, his truck be a 1995... Don't know what year alty he used though. There IS a thread somewhere (might even be pinned somewhere :shrug: ) about the comparable year range with some of the people who did is too cents on the differences they ran into if any...

My swap was easy as well. I made a spacer for the V-pulley so it would align with the rest of the pulleys, and I needed to grind some edges off of the tensioner bracket so it didn't rub on the alternator housing.

60A to 90A is a pretty big difference...