My new toy...

ILoveMyPatty

As the title says, this is my new toy. Ruger 10/22 Target. Hogue stock, 3-9x32 Bushnell scope. I picked up a 30rd Shooters Ridge mag, because... well.... it's a 10/22 :D

I love this thing, I've already put about 200 rounds of Wal Mart special through it. The bipod is awesome, very steady.

Tomorrow I'm picking up 5 different types of ammunition for it, and I'll get some results on paper at 50 and 100 yards with it, after I get 'er dialed in. I'll have pics in a few days!

P1000683.jpg

P1000679.jpg

I dont have a 10/22 but I have a mossberg plinkster...it seems to like any soft tip fine,although hollow points seem to hit the target sideway.A guy I know had/has two,it has the the little chrome things on it(barrel,trigger guard,scope)The other one has a neat little trigger one it,its like a lever that goes straight down,pull back on it and it shoots,push forward on it and it shoots again.

I've got the Ruger 10/22 also - really fun weapon to plink around with. Is that the stock barrel on yours? It looks fatter than mine.

I've also got a Walther P22 that is just as fun (although one of the mags jams as the spring is bad - gotta get a new one sometime).

I dont have a 10/22 but I have a mossberg plinkster...it seems to like any soft tip fine,although hollow points seem to hit the target sideway.A guy I know had/has two,it has the the little chrome things on it(barrel,trigger guard,scope)The other one has a neat little trigger one it,its like a lever that goes straight down,pull back on it and it shoots,push forward on it and it shoots again.

Best $85 bucks I spent was on a cheap Mossberg Plinkster. Nothing better then shooting 500 rounds of .22 and knowing you only spent $15, rather then when I shot 500 rounds of .308 through my m1 for $250...

I have a factory built 10/22 target, but I got the hammer forged barrel and the blond laminated stock. I still have my old school 10/22 that my Dad gave me when I was 13 years old. I tried a few different rounds through the target version. It seemed to like federal lightnings the best. Winchester wold cats were wild, all over the target. I never tried any of the expensive target round though. Once I got a savage in 17HMR I haven't shot the 10/22 since. I sighted the 17 in at 50 yards then shot off the 4 thumb tacks that were holding the target. I don't think any 22 will match the accuracy of the 17.

James

Went out and shot today, with what rounds were recommended by the sporting goods store... and all I can say is "BOOO!"

40 yards and my groups were like 2". I'm not exactly happy with 2" groups at 40 yards.

James, yeah I've heard great things about the .17- it's too bad ammo is so expensive. How is wind drift, with that light of round?

The wind drift is not too bad with the 17 unless its a strong wind but on normal days you can still hit a rabbit sized target at 100 yards. Remember this tiny bullet is moving at 2500 fps. I shot a squirrel at my deer feeder 80 yards away. I aimed for his head and it took his jaw off completely, no damaged meat.

On the 10/22 you probably need to shoot the barrel in before it will get tight groups. Bring your cleaning kit with you and at least 500 rounds of cheap ammo. Swab the bore every 50 rounds. It should shoot better once the bore smooths out. Also be careful when swabbing the bore to not let the cleaning rod rub the crown of the muzzle because this will screw accuracy too. You should always swab from the chamber end but with this rifle you cant. So just be careful and use a soft aluminum rod.

James

Went out and shot today, with what rounds were recommended by the sporting goods store... and all I can say is "BOOO!"

40 yards and my groups were like 2". I'm not exactly happy with 2" groups at 40 yards.

Don't get me wrong, but you either are using some ammo that the gun doesn't like, it isn't broken in, you have trigger or bolt issues, you are blind or it is just you. :D

Seriously though, the gun should shoot better than that; I've done about the same with an AR-7 I cleaned up for a friend and that was with iron sights. I have a new, unfired stainless 10/22 sitting in the corner waiting for me to mount a scope and try it out. Maybe we can compare noted then...

B

I don't think the gun likes the ammo, I know how to shoot. I was actually shooting on exhale, and in between heart beats, but at a distance of 40 yards, heartbeats shouldn't make much of a difference really. I noticed some weird burns on the brass too... ejected brass had a "back burn" type black mark on them, like the round doesn't seat properly in the barrel/chamber..

• 2 weeks later...

I have a regular 10/22 stainless. It is a lot of fun to shoot. I like CCI Stingers. I also have several thousand rounds of Winchester Xpert just because I got a good deal on it, but it tends to lead the barrel as the bullets are unplated. I occasionally shoot Aguila subsonic through it just because I keep it around for my suppressed Browning Challenger pistol. The very heavy bullets give more penetration.

I don't think the gun likes the ammo, I know how to shoot. I was actually shooting on exhale, and in between heart beats, but at a distance of 40 yards, heartbeats shouldn't make much of a difference really. I noticed some weird burns on the brass too... ejected brass had a "back burn" type black mark on them, like the round doesn't seat properly in the barrel/chamber..

Ammo probly,although 10/22s do have a ejector problem commom with most of there 10/22 offerings that ruger should fix free of charge.(I said should,I'd make a stink about it if they say they dont)

But you still shooting the wal-mart cheapO ammo?

Edited by nismothunder