ABS light

Kingsizerob

My ABS light seems to be coming on intermittently when starting the 95 pathy XE. If I turn the engine off then back on it usually goes off but not always ..

I checked the rear brakes ans adjusted them (still like new)

It seems like it wants to come on mostly when raining but not always!

I don't know Jack about ABS any help would be appreciated!

Thanks

Sounds like your ABS module is finding a failure during self-check. Most common probem is the sensor that is attached to the rear diff, at the pinion. The WD21 pathfinders only have rear abs. You can check codes by grounding a pin on the abs plug on the left side of your dash(it should be blue). I believe there was a write-up done, or there was another recent thread where it was all lined out.

Thanks B. Thats Probably not a bad idea.

Ok, dont forget, when you want to check the codes, you must have the ABS light on. The best way to do this is to drive your rig around the block(just get over 12MPH for 5 seconds), park, set the E-brake, and leave the ignition on(engine running). Then ground your pin and watch the ABS light flash.

The reason for this, is that the ABS system is self-checking. Everytime you turn the ignition on, the system resets and rechecks. It actually checkes itself every-so-often as you drive also. If you had a code, its now gone, but will return when you drive it. Remember to test drive after you made a repair and make sure the light does not come back on.

Hope that makes sense! :aok:

• 11 months later...

Instructions are in the FSM in the brake section. It tells you which part of the ABS is causing the problems. FSM is available online. Follow the links in the garage section. The basic instructions are posted above in this thread of course too... maybe I'm not sure what you're asking.

Edited by sewebster

• 3 years later...

Does anybody remember, when counting the flashes, if the last, long solid "flash" counts as a "flash" or is it letting you know to start counting again? Makes the difference between an actuator and the sensor