'90-'95 fenders will fit an '88 Pathfinder, right?

RallyJeff

So... my friend dropped off my "new" truck yesterday, a 1988 Pathfinder XE (at least I think it's an XE - it's got no designation on the back, but it also doesn't have the swing-out tire rack on the rear, which IIRC was one of the differences in trim between it and the SE, right?). Pics to come - I'll be starting a thread to talk about my progress fixing up the beast once I have a chance to get out with my camera.

One question immediately occurs to me just from first looking at the truck: will the front fenders from all years of the WD21 fit a 1988?

I'm probably going to end up going through local junkyards looking for replacement fenders - one's bad and one's better, but even the better one has enough rust that I'd want to replace it.

I know that the body style is (to my eye, at least) virtually identical up until 1995, but I'm worried that they might've done little changes that would complicate a straight-fit replacement... in around the bumper or the like. Anyone know if I'm safe with any of the WD21 model years?

Edited by RallyJeff

XE and SE is just a sticker as all trims came with all the options. But one of the easy ways to spot an SE truck is rear disc brakes, but even then, some SE's came with drum.

I saw a super base model 4 door at the junkyard, manual locks, windows, and transmission. But had a sunroof and tire carrier. So :shrug:

Fenders are identical, unless you find some oddball non-US one with the little marker light in it or the mirron on the end of the one (which I would think would still bolt up just fine) 93-95's had a different lower valance under the front bumper I belive, the 87-92 havign the black fender flare style one and the 93-95 having a metal body color matched one. 93-95 also had different bumpers which are interchangeable as long as you get the bumper brackets with em. And all the package is is a sticker on the back like said by silverton, all packages had mixes of all options. (ive mensioned before about both my 88 SEs being opposites, ain't goein through the list right now of their differences)

all years of wd21 and d21 (hardbody) fenders bolt up. Good luck finding a good pair in a JY.

I searched for years before finding a good pair of d21 fenders for my pathy project.

Thanks, all.

I've got a couple of wreckers around me that have proven themselves good for Caravan parts - I've always wondered what was down the other end of the yard where that "Imports" arrow pointed. We'll have to see if they pan out.

Doubt you will find any fenders in a junkyard up here worth using. You will likely have the fender fall apart in a pile of rust taking it off the truck. Living in an area with road salt just eats them up.

I just replaced both front fenders on my 1988 Hardbody. Cost me $67 for the drivers side, and $135 for the passengers side (cost more because of the stupid hole for the antenna). They are the same ones for your truck. I got them from NAPA.

Original ones could have been fixed, but it really, really wasn't worth even an hour of my time to fix them when new ones are so cheap. I made sure to cover the inside of the fenders with two thick coats of rock-guard to make sure they will not rust any time soon.

DSC04157.jpg

DSC04153.jpg

DSC04169.jpg

DSC04167.jpg

Looks so much better and I know that the only thing I will have to worry about is denting them on the trail.

^^He's right. I couldn't find anything decent at the wrecking yards when I was looking for a pair but if you decide to go that route be sure to get the right "bulge" in your fender. 2WD Hardbody fenders will bolt up, but have a smaller bulge over the wheel. All WD21 Pathy and 4WD Hardbody fenders are the same bulge, although there's been mention of square vs. round antenna holes (round = power antenna).

Edited by jj big shoe

I just replaced both front fenders on my 1988 Hardbody. Cost me $67 for the drivers side, and $135 for the passengers side (cost more because of the stupid hole for the antenna). They are the same ones for your truck. I got them from NAPA.

Wow. I didn't realize that new ones were that cheap. Thanks.