Offroad Tires on Stock Pathy

vmodi

Is there a way for me to put on 31x10.5 tires on the stock R15 rim? I have no lift and no mods but want good tires to handle off-road, not the all-season stuff.

Taking it one step further, what is the largest tire I may be able to install without any lift?

Thanks.

You willing to cut at all? A ottos disregard for cosmetics can help make a little more room

I installed 265/70/17's on my rig and had to cut. No problem, works great and looks tough with the black wheels. Ready for some 285's now.

Ive got 31x10.5s on my rig and its stock height Granted they are not MTRS just BFG AT and not on the stock rim, but I like them both on and off road. Only place I rubbed was at fuil lock, and a hairdryer fixes that real quick.

if you have the SE (which it looks like since that's what it says in your profile) with the 265/70/15, you should be able to stuff the 31s in there with little problem. as it's been said already, you MIGHT rub just a little bit at full lock, but it'll be very minimal.

if you had the LE or XE, you'll probably rub more because of some of the differences (which were stated in another recent thread). some of those differences including the turning radius, and wheel offset, IIRC.

Thanks everyone! This is good news. :)

Lifting would be nice but no moola. :(

Yep it sure takes some Moola do get that done. Costed me over $3K when I was done. Shoot, still not done LOL.

I have a '97 SE OR...ran 31" Mich LTX M/S's that had just a slight rub at full lock. After those for 9 years and 100K miles replaced a few weeks ago with Revo 2's that don't rub at all. Not all 31" tires have EXACT same measurements and a few 10ths of an inch in diameter or width could make the difference between a little rub and none at all. You can usually get exact specs from mfr sites...not always though. The Revo 31s are slightly smaller than the Mich LTX 31s. Have not done any lift or cutting at any point....yet...

Edited by piste

• 5 years later...

I have an '02 XE and tried installing 265/75/16 and where it rubbed was against the front coil spring!! I'm afraid the 265/70 won't be much better.

Anyone else have this problem?

Seem like 255 is the largest I'll be able to go without lifting the truck.

Edited by raz

Your 265's rubbed on the bottom of the front coil spring because of the wheel offset, not the lack of lift. You either need to replace the wheels with 16x8 that have a maximum of 4.25" backspacing or you need to install wheel spacers.

Your 265's rubbed on the bottom of the front coil spring because of the wheel offset, not the lack of lift. You either need to replace the wheels with 16x8 that have a maximum of 4.25" backspacing or you need to install wheel spacers.

They are stock rims.

Are there any other wheels I can get from a salvage shop off another brand that have the proper back spacing?

Or can any tire shop install wheel spacers?

Thx

Raz

Edited by raz

I recently installed 31x10.5r15 General Grabbers AT 2's on my 97 XE. I used 15x7 wheels with a 3.75 backspace. General recommends a 7in wide wheel minimum for that size. I have minimal rubbing on the front plastic splash guards. I love this setup but my only concern is that they stick out about 2 inches from the fender and I wonder if they will rub the fender at full suspension compression.

'97 LE here. Stock 15x6.5 rims wore 31x10.5 tires just fine. Stock everything.

Only rubbing was at full lock where the inside edge of the tire rubbed the frame. No harm, just polished it up for me. Never touched the fenders or plastic liner at all.

I've got a '02 XE.

Does anyone know if there's any difference in tire sizes between the SE and XE in the 2002 Pathy?

Also, will wheel spacers alone help get a larger tires on there, or is a lift kit necessary?

Thx

I've got a '02 XE.

Does anyone know if there's any difference in tire sizes between the SE and XE in the 2002 Pathy?

Also, will wheel spacers alone help get a larger tires on there, or is a lift kit necessary?

Thx

Raz, if you are referring to the 265/75/16 size you mentioned, then yes, you can use wheel spacers alone without the need for a lift kit.

Your clearance issue with those tires is the spring perch on the strut Your spacer will move the tire out far enough that it clears that perch.

However, because you moved it out, the outside edge of the tire will reach further forward when you turn in and will probably rub the plastic splash guard. You can live with the rubbing or cut away some of your splash guard....perhaps front and rear.

I am not sure about this...because I didn't run your tire size and spacers. But I'm running 33s with an offset rim (about the same as using a spacer) and definitely had to cut plastic and some metal.

A lift would not negate this problem.

• Like 1