How to replace the fuel filter

HitMan

This is a really easy and cheap ($15) thing to do to help improve what little gas mileage the pathfinder already gets and help maintain it. Whole process takes under an hour to do. All you need is a 10mm socket and a Phillips screw driver. Pliers could come in handy as well.

First, if you have them, back the truck up onto some ramps to help get under the back end much easier and remember to put the parking brake on. Next, pull out the fuel pump fuse located behind the coin drawer below the steering wheel. pull out the 15A fuse that is located between the 7.5A and 10A fuse in the second column from the left. The backside of the coin drawer also has a layout of the fuses if you get confused.

2253864590106620101S425x425Q85.jpg

Once the fuse is out start up the truck and let it run out of gas. Do this a few times to ensure you get most all of the gas out of the lines. Once it won't start anymore go to the backside of your truck and located just above the rear axle is your fuel filter.

2319210320106620101S425x425Q85.jpg

Next remove the 10mm bolt that clamps the fuel filter in place. If it's anything like mine it is probably a little rusty and can easily brake so be careful removing it.

2393694670106620101S425x425Q85.jpg

Once it's out loosen the hose clamps on either end of the filter and slide them down the hose. Now comes the tricky part. Try and twist off the hoses so you don't crack them. Mine were fused in place pretty well so I just used a pair of pliers to grip the hose and twist them off. You can also just replace the hoses all together and not worry about it at all. Careful when taking these hoses off because there might still be some gas in the line so it can come spewing out for a second. Might be a good idea to have a drain bucket under there just in case. Once it is out go ahead and put in the new filter and tighten everything back up. Be sure to put the filter in the correct direction as before, because otherwise you are going to have to do it all over again when your truck won't start.

2651336600106620101S425x425Q85.jpg

Once it's all together put the fuse back in and start up the truck to make sure it works again.

been meaning to do this, just found the filter when i was doing the rear bushings. good write up though, i never thought about running it out of gas, i always just used hose clamps (and still get fuel in my eyes every time with my last cars :thumbsdown: )

I pried, I twisted, I could barely get it to move... Then I gave it a shot of WD-40 and popped the thing off in 30 seconds. Learned something...

As for safety glasses, I'm a machinist and when I'm under the car, this is how I roll... :D

216wRX1G1mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

B

I pried, I twisted, I could barely get it to move... Then I gave it a shot of WD-40 and popped the thing off in 30 seconds. Learned something...

As for safety glasses, I'm a machinist and when I'm under the car, this is how I roll... :D

216wRX1G1mL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

B

Yeah I forgot to mention that I used PB Blaster to loosen the hoses up. It Really makes a difference.

Yeah, but I wanted to handle the line and didn't know how much the harsher agents would affect the rubber long term so I went with the tar/bug/sticker remover... :D

those the bluepoint saf-t-specs line?

http://www.amazon.com/AO-Safety-97490-Vision-Glasses/dp/B000S97ZW4

I highly recommend them!!

B

Yeah, always wear eye protection while you're under the car! If not, this could happen to you!

Corneal Foreign Body

A few years ago, while grinding off a bolt under my truck, I had neglected to wear eye protection, and I got a microscopically small (1mm long, thinner than a human hair) sliver of steel in my eye (not nearly as severe as the photos in the link above), which after about 10 hours, resulted in a visit to the ER, and a subsequent visit to an opthalmologist, who used a Dremel-like tool to remove off the "rust ring" which had developed on my cornea.

Learn from my negligence! Wear eye protection! Believe me, you don't want anyone dremeling your eye!

Edited by XPLORx4

• 10 months later...

well I am trying this and it is not going well.

the bracket is rusted out; I will need a new one, and the screw also snaped upon removal.

my main problem... the fuel lines will not come off the filter.

after reading the post I tried WD40 but it does not penetrate inside the line???? tried pliers and nothing.

The lines don't even budge.

Edited by petespath

well I am trying this and it is not going well.

the bracket is rusted out; I will need a new one, and the screw also snaped upon removal.

my main problem... the fuel lines will not come off the filter.

after reading the post I tried WD40 but it does not penetrate inside the line???? tried pliers and nothing.

The lines don't even budge.

You can always cut them off if there is enough extra line... even cut off and replace the whole line if necessary. Otherwise, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle...

Pete if pliers or vice grips won't get it off maybe replacing the hoses would be a good idea/easier. Would probably be like 2 bucks worth of fuel line from part source.

Hey guys thanks for your help, with a 2 hour break, I wrapped a rag around the hose got out some beefy pliers and a new filter is on. It seems every job I do takes 3-4 hours.

Thankfully, none of my parts were rusted. BUT - getting the lines off the old filter were a severe pain in the ass. Took me a while to get them off. Just lots of patience and twisting. Resting, then coming back to it.

Seems like a lot of the maintenance takes me longer than it is supposed to as well, but that is the FIRST time. The second time you do something it is a breeze. :)