Jackson Autosport's R50 Missing Link

tekazgtr1984

Is there any size difference in the auto and manual trannys? Meaning I haz a manual 98 XE, wondering if there would be any issues bolting this in? Also does it seem to obstruct access to the oil pan nut?

IV

Nope fit my 97 with a manual just fine

Is there any size difference in the auto and manual trannys? Meaning I haz a manual 98 XE, wondering if there would be any issues bolting this in? Also does it seem to obstruct access to the oil pan nut?

IV

Threw mine on today and WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!!! ..... and that's just in a 5km test drive......

Right off the hop it took the judder out of the front on braking(chassis flex and stiffer suspension did weird things to the front), the front end is much more planted and precise on turn-in, steering feels lighter, and now the 'Q has become a point and squirt Rhinoceros.... hehehe.

Thank you John at Jackson Autosport for enabling my expensive rally tendencies with my wife's truck.

And, also thanks for your time and your vast knowlege of Japanese sports cars.

Markus

not trying to copy your design man. just trying to improve it and add on to it. (thicker steel, gusseted mounts, TIG Welded, "safety holes")

nothing personal against you guys

a lil competetion wont hurt

but if you do have a serious problem with my building these links then i will stop and go one designing my other ideas

other r50 products to come:

adjutable heavy duty 4 link (with your choice of joints)

skids plates (front,mid,rear,gas tank)

armor

link that will connect subframe and tranny crossmember

not trying to copy your design man. just trying to improve it and add on to it. (thicker steel, gusseted mounts, TIG Welded, "safety holes")

nothing personal against you guys

a lil competetion wont hurt

but if you do have a serious problem with my building these links then i will stop and go one designing my other ideas

You'll be hard pressed to make a bar that is functionally better. This thing is pretty simple and adding gussets and heavier tubing will be offset by drilling safety holes in it. As far as we can see the stresses are in tension and compression only, so further stiffening probably won't make much difference in performance. I should point out the original prototype my partner came up with (he owned a Pathfinder at the time) was made from thin wall round tube, squashed flat on the ends, with a couple of holes drilled in it. It worked almost as well as our finished product.

I have a couple of Toyotas in the shop right now - a 89 Supra, it has a similar lower stress bar made from round tube, pressed flat on the ends with a couple of holes punched in the ends. An MR2 has a cross brace over the engine compartment- same round tube...

Feel free to make your own version, it could be done any number of ways. I could even visualize an adjustable bar with a couple of rod end bearings at each end, but again would it work any better? There is also a price point to consider - we made ours so cheaply that most people would just buy it. Some exotic version for a couple of hundred bucks would sit on the shelf a long time. By the away, our bar is TIG welded, and I had the end tabs laser cut - which, you have to admit, sounds very aerospace! :)

John

Winnipeg's on the map for kick-ass, custom Pathy schwag! :lol:

Again, kudos to Jackson Autosport. :beer:

Hey...maybe the more props we dole out...the more products for our beloved R50s, JACKSON'S will produce...???

Good stuff...i'll get one...eventually...gotta get her running better first. LOL

Tye

R50FJ60, I forget the manufacturer but there's a cheap brush guard on ebay in the $170-$220 range.

Personally, I'd rather spend a couple hundred more and get a real bumper. If I ever get the money I'll probably get one from KMA. I only live a few hours away.

EDIT:

Actually I think it was Hunter.

Edited by TooQForYou

• 2 weeks later...

I just installed my missing link today and oh how amazing!!! the bolts were a pain but thats what happens when my rig is almost 10 years old. there was a great difference in just turning off the road to my house. Gonna put it through the real test tomorrow on a patch of road thats terrible. Took a while to get to indiana but i know how shipping country to country goes. I recommend this part to every R50 owner, and for only $50USD shipped, its well worth the wait!

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

• 2 weeks later...

Does this missing link get in the way of the Front Skid Plate from AC in any way? It definitely looks like a worthwhile improvement!

If you mean what I think you do, the answer is no. I have my Black Panther front skid installed and it doesn't even come close to interfering with the Missing Link. The mid-skid, on the other hand, may pose a challenge but that's just me speculating.

If you mean what I think you do, the answer is no. I have my Black Panther front skid installed and it doesn't even come close to interfering with the Missing Link. The mid-skid, on the other hand, may pose a challenge but that's just me speculating.

tekazgtr1984 - Thanks for the FYI. J.Jackson asked me to send him some pics to be 100% sure. I'm hoping it's a go.