Front Torsion Bars and adjustment...

VW_Factor

In the garage section there is a thread started about re-indexing the bars. I dont require that much adjustment really. Just wanted to crank them a few turns..

So, in this thread, there were pics, which are now not working.. Anyone have some pics of this stuff here? Really lookin for like a 1/2 inch adjustment up in ride height, which I am pretty sure can be had without taking the entire shebang apart. That and I dont have jacks or stands atm. :(

Just hoping for someone else to be able to point at and say.. Yes, that is the bolt you turn, etc..

Thanks in advance.

its pretty straight forward...follow the T bar back from the LCA then follow it over and you will see a bolt...on the top side there is a jamb nut...loosen it up on each side put a back wrench on the other one and crank the bottom head 2-3 times...set the truck down (i forgot to mention its easier to adjust with the front end off the ground)I then move it around to get the true height after i set it down...i dont nkow any specific equation but IIRC 5-6 full turns is about 1/2". get an alignment afterwards or you'll wear out the outside edge of your tires if you currently have good camber

heres a pic of the Xmember and the tbar bolts (note my tbars are unique to anyone elses truck so you wont see that middle connection on yours):

DSCN3189.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

I figured as much, just wanted to make sure.. I'll have to use the spare tire jack, and maybe some bricks or something to keep the front wheels off the ground. Hoped that too would make it easier. Thanks for the confirmation though :) Before I went and mucked @!*% up. lol

those damned JC T-bars! I wish I could try some....

go about 3 full rotations on the ajusters, topmost in the picture, there is a seated nut and a jam nut on the tops side which are not shown. Then drive it over some speed bumps. Then try again. the exact number of rotations per amount of lift varies.

Just lookin for like a 1/2 to 3/4 inch to level it out some. Sprayed some penetration crap on them, and took a quick little jaunt for some more brew to help work it in. It doesnt sit that low, but after a couple years ago fixing the sag in the ass, its time to take care of the sag in the front. >.>

its pretty straight forward...follow the T bar back from the LCA then follow it over and you will see a bolt...on the top side there is a jamb nut...loosen it up on each side put a back wrench on the other one and crank the bottom head 2-3 times...set the truck down (i forgot to mention its easier to adjust with the front end off the ground)I then move it around to get the true height after i set it down...i dont nkow any specific equation but IIRC 5-6 full turns is about 1/2". get an alignment afterwards or you'll wear out the outside edge of your tires if you currently have good camber

heres a pic of the Xmember and the tbar bolts (note my tbars are unique to anyone elses truck so you wont see that middle connection on yours):

DSCN3189.jpg

What are the middle connections for?

-G

What are the middle connections for?

-G

those are JC (jim connor racing) t-bars. they are(to my knowledge) the worlds only 2-stage t-bar. In other words its like a progressive spring, one bar is plush and soaks up small bumps like if your on a washboard and the other bar has a much higher rate for those bigger hits.

those are JC (jim connor racing) t-bars. they are(to my knowledge) the worlds only 2-stage t-bar. In other words its like a progressive spring, one bar is plush and soaks up small bumps like if your on a washboard and the other bar has a much higher rate for those bigger hits.

Hmmm. Very cool. Thanks for the reply.

I have searched for the thread, but I think that site went down long ago...

Those Jim Connor bars and even his lifts were wicked cool.

The only issue ever reported with the dual stage bars was the sleeve that connected the two...

Over years of hard abuse the splines would allegedly strip out.

Good picture of Nissan aftermarket history! LOL

Don't forget, you are going to need to get an alignment done now.

It needed one anyway, been pullin to the right a little bit.. Just had a good habit of rotating the tires often enough to not effect tire wear adversely so far. :)

I only have 2 bars...the center slipes are broached in when they made them contrary to the 4 bar systme people seem to believe...those splines are just 1/3 of the way there so the torsional stresses are taken out way early compared to going the full length of the bar...i like them and feel very lucky to have snagged them :D

I only have 2 bars...the center slipes are broached in when they made them contrary to the 4 bar systme people seem to believe...those splines are just 1/3 of the way there so the torsional stresses are taken out way early compared to going the full length of the bar...i like them and feel very lucky to have snagged them biggrin.gif

It still acts like I described tho right? becuse once that tab on the splines hits the stopper the spring rate increases right?