new guy from Washington!

nismopu

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, you are ambitious!! Keep it up... :aok:

B

Thanks! As if all this work wasnt enough my friend called me and asked me if I wanted to by his old SAS setup.........hmmmmmmmm.

So, even after i have the engine out it continued to fight me! Took like an hour to get those damn torque converter bolts off because theyre recessed due to the shape of the flexplate, WTF nissan? I knew I needed an offset wrench but I figured with the engine out i could handle it without one which I could but since the engine only rotated so far I still could barely get to all of them. Does anyone know which specific offset wrenches work the best? Thanks guys!

Aren't those torque converter bolts amazing? I just used a 14MM deep socket and a ratchet, worked fine for me. I had someone hold the crank bolt steady while I took the bolts out. It's even more fun getting the bolts back in when the motor is in! You have to use a small screwdriver and slide it along the flex plate until it falls into a hole, then you have to somehow reach behind that and spin the torque converter with the tip of your fingers until you feel a boss come around. Then do some more fine touch work and stick the screw driver into the boss through the flex plate, then hope it doesn't turn again when you're trying to thread the bolt in. :lol: And with that you're working with leaning over the truck, down past the fenders, and cockeyed with your fingers barely going through the starter hole.

Pain in the ass!

I kinda wanna swing by and see this thing in person... I'm a khinestetic learner so seeing pictures really doesn't help much lol.

yeah, man I am around all weekend! I had to push the pathy out for the weekend though because i need to power wash it and I had to work on my z before summer is over. I have two z's in the drive way right now that are getting swapped so its a z weekend for sure, lol! Comeon by tomorrow for sure if ya want always got beer and down to chat about cars. peace.

CARNAGE!

Found this in the oil pan after I took it off to inspect all what was broken inside. NOT GOOD! Block is still god though I think so, i might keep it. Need to inspect it some more.

Picture561.jpg

Picture554.jpg

Picture555.jpg

Picture556.jpg

Picture558.jpg

my rods bent, lol!

Picture559.jpg

whats left of a piston skirt

Picture560.jpg

heres what i worked on all weekend though

Picture550.jpg

Picture548.jpg

Engine should be going in tonight

Picture547.jpg

Is it hard to take the dash out? or is it more like patience?

Dash was not hard to take out but just dont forget to take off the trim on the pillars as it will interfere and you can possibly break it. So, be really careful and have a buddy help ya lift it out.

Oh, and the "coupes" are older 300zx's often reffered to by there bastard child chassis code; z31. The grey one is the 8th z31 that I have owned over the years and the silver one was number 7 but has exchanged hands quite a few times since I have owned it, hence its very "ricey" condition now. Thankfully, its back in my posession and safe here at my house away from the ricer/driftor kids. lol!

I wanna have this thing running by the meet but I am not sure if this turbo is good now. I rebuilt it about two or three years ago now when I owned the car but just before we pulled the engine it was smoking really good and doesnt appear to be related to the engine. Anyway, where I am locating the turbo it will be easy to access either way.

• 2 weeks later...

Update: my z cars engine is finally done so, I have put the pathy's new heart on the stand and begun to prep it for assembly. I haven't touched the truck itself since I have pushed it outside but its getting ready to come back in. I also picked up another H233b open rear end from my buddy Chris. He only charged me 50 bucks for it so, I thought it was a solid deal. I am going to use this as the basis for my solid axle swap for the front.