Grassroots center link

JamesRich

How long does it take for Brian at grass roots to refund the core deposit?

I sent him an extra core that I picked up in a scrap yard which he told me in an email he would pay $25 for. After a week I emailed him and asked him for my deposit and he claimed he never received my cores. I forwarded the email with the tracking number saying it was delivered to his front door and he agreed they were delivered but still claimed he never got them. Then he asked how many I sent so he could send the refund. Over a week now and still no refund in my paypal. I don't want to discredit this guy but it sure looks like he is trying to screw me!

James

Hey bud, not to say that it is not frustrating....but I was advised that he was out of town for his sister's wedding. If I am not mistaken he also works a full time job, and does this when he can.

I just recently sent him 3 cores myself, and he has since sent me a tracking number for my modified CL.

Hang in there, he is legit.

x2. I'm sure he got a little tangled up, He has been more than good buisness for many ppl (myself included). He also has a good rep on N4W too.

hang in there,

Busy or not when he sent me the email a week ago asking how many links I sent him it would have only taken 5 more minutes to log into paypal and send my refund.

It's all good now, the cores were delivered 15 days ago and maybe a coincidence but at 2 O'Clock yesterday, 8 hours after I posted this I got my refund. So now I can just enjoy my grassroots centerlink. Pathy drives nice and tight now. :aok:

James

Can anyone explain to me, what's special about the Grassroots center link? (it doesn't bend, but why?)

Can I take a welder and imagination and make my original centerlink better?? I'm from Chile so getting a grassroots centerlink is kinda dificult.

The stock CL uses ball joint type ends for the idler and pitman arm connections. They are the weak point. When they wear, it allows the CL to twist, which creates play, misalignment and can cause (or at least, assist) in pretzeling your tie rods.

The Grassroots CL uses Spherical bearings pressed into a sleeve, instead of the ball joint type ends. You drill out your idler and pitman arms to 5/8" and install bolts through the CL and the Idler and pitman arms, respectively. This does not allow the CL to twist, which helps keep your truck running straight, and helps reduce wear on the tie rods.

You can also google TK1 steering mod. I gathered what I needed to do it, but time was not my friend, and me being a perfectionist with a touch of OCD...I would rather have someone who does it regularly and KNOWS what the deal is, do it...

Besides I don't have the jigs set up either...and didn't feel like paying Bernard to make me some...

I was going to make my own too. I got the bearings and have some 4140 round stock, but working 60 hours a week and 8 hours on Saturday I don't have the time so I just ordered the proven one. The only thing left to make it a perfect centerlink would have been a grease zerk. Unless he is using a different bearing than the ones I got. Mine have channels for grease so all it would have taken was a properly placed hole for a zerk to grease them.

I'm sure they will last a while like they are though, what kind of life are you guys getting with y'alls?

James

I am still waiting on mine to arrive...man my truck has been down almost a month now....grrr

And drilling a hole in the midsection in between the two pressed in bearings would allow for the zerk to get some grease in there...yes?

You would need to drill it with the bearing out of the sleeve, and that's most likely not gonna happen.(once they're pressed in they tend to stay in) Otherwise you run the risk of drilling into the bearing itself(good luck, the bearing is probably harder than a HSS drill bit)or at least getting shavings inside them by not removing them. I don't know exactly how Bryan is having them made at the machine shop, but I bet they have a ridge in the middle of the sleeve that both are pressed against so they don't actually touch inside the sleeve and to keep from pressing them in too far.

When it comes to greasing the bearing, my advice is to just leave them alone.

These bearings are built to handle some serious pressures and stresses. They will never see the kind of stress on our trucks to need new grease, besides they hardly even turn 180degs. Our tiny tie-rods will pretzel long before those bearings failed.

IMHO you would have better luck drilling a hole down the center of the grade 8 bolt(with a carbide drill in a really rigid mill) and trying to cut threads into that bolt for the zerk will be the highlight of that task. Then you have the problem of a hollow bolt holding your steering together.

I had mine off to do my dual steering box mod, still snug as new in there and I've had mine maybe 2 years....

Cool thats what I needed to know! Do you go in mud often? My truck will be in the poo all through hunting season.

Oh and trailchaser I ain't screwing with this one, it's already mounted and rollin.

James

Cool thats what I needed to know! Do you go in mud often? My truck will be in the poo all through hunting season.

Oh and trailchaser I ain't screwing with this one, it's already mounted and rollin.

James

mud not so much, other offroad and mutiple off camber angles a bit more offten but the truth is I keep missing oportunites cuase of work, or regulations or maintence and so sady I have not seen as much trail as I would like to lately. Its funny becuse it seems my pathy got the most abuse when it was least prepared.

It would be nice to have a piece of trail give way and slam my slider down on a bolder just to test it some time in the near future lol

Busy or not when he sent me the email a week ago asking how many links I sent him it would have only taken 5 more minutes to log into paypal and send my refund.

It's all good now, the cores were delivered 15 days ago and maybe a coincidence but at 2 O'Clock yesterday, 8 hours after I posted this I got my refund. So now I can just enjoy my grassroots centerlink. Pathy drives nice and tight now. :aok:

James

Just FYI hoohaa hasnt logged in on this board since february.

mud not so much, other offroad and mutiple off camber angles a bit more offten but the truth is I keep missing oportunites cuase of work, or regulations or maintence and so sady I have not seen as much trail as I would like to lately. Its funny becuse it seems my pathy got the most abuse when it was least prepared.

It would be nice to have a piece of trail give way and slam my slider down on a bolder just to test it some time in the near future lol

As long as it doesn't rotate it will be all good! (I know it will fix my issues at least, the factory CL was not designed for lifting applications for sure!!)

I am with ya, after all the mods, I am more apt to NOT go wheeling for fear of tearing up my truck, but man I would wheel the fire out of it before I modded it...

I am with ya, after all the mods, I am more apt to NOT go wheeling for fear of tearing up my truck, but man I would wheel the fire out of it before I modded it...

Its not fear of wrecking my modded rig. Its more so, lack of oportunity. Allot of ppl find them selves in this same trap, my whole life is falling into work, family and foolhardy lawsuits. I should take more vactaions.

• 7 years later...

Is it just me or did this company disappear for a while? I have been looking for a centerlink for months now and it seems like grassroots4x4.com was down when I first started looking, and IIRC people were saying that the company was gone. I hit a link the other day however, and it took me to a page that said "grassroots4x4 is back!" I looked up the center link for my 93 4x4 and it was $250 with a hundred dollar core. Worth it? Anyone had any recent dealings with them? Is it even the same guy as before?

I feel like I lucked out, I had ordered a "moog" from summit after the OEM fashion, but they gave me a delivery estimate of a month. After the second time they pushed the date forward (by another month each time) I canceled my order. Though I spent that finishing up the HID projector headlight mod I started entirely the wrong way. Now I still need a new one, and these are back! Time to start a new stash sock.