Dead Fuel and temp gauges

AceJime

I have a thread (http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/topic/41107-voltmeter-and-water-temp-gauge-cut-out-and-turn-signal-problem/) re a similar problem and was directed to this thread.

I haven't used my fuel gauge for years (after market sender in custom tank) but just recently the voltmeter and temp gauge gave out at the same time. I'm assuming the VR failing would also result in the Voltmeter going down, but there's no mention of the voltmeter in this thread?

Can anyone confirm if the faulty VR will also take down the voltmeter?

Also, in my other thread, I lost the turn signals at the same time (the hazards still work, but no individual left or right turn signals) and wondering if that is related to this, or the the turn signals going bad is just me having a really bad day electrically?

Thanks in advance for any help. I figured before I start taking things apart, is to try and be as informed about the cause of the problem before tearing into things.

• 3 years later...

For anyone else out there like myself who are trying to fix this in 2019, the part number referenced in "solution2.pdf" "KA7808" is obsolete. The functional equivalent is now UA7808CKCS. On Mouser here: https://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Texas-Instruments/UA7808CKCS?qs=JD1fk4stihZrIzHFneE4ug%3D%3D

Cheers

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Getting back around to actually fixing this. I have a regulator unit that looks like this... 

49rw3Bh.png

I ended up just scrapping whatever board is in there and putting a regulator in the same spot as before. Ran a few 9Vs together since the regulator I bought has a minimum voltage of 10V, and it puts out 8V as specified.

8UD2gU3.jpg

Put it all back together, and still no fuel gauge. Damn. Maybe FSU. Okay. Let's go for a test drive and see if I can get temps to move. NOPE. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR. This is like the fourth time I've disassembled all this.

Here's my issue now... 

My 92 has a slightly different setup than the documentation I've got to work with. 

4ip37iA.jpg

Instead of getting power from the 10 or 8 pin headers, it's from a 2 pin header that's just 12V and ground highlighted above. In the solution2.pdf last page, where I can troubleshoot, it references power from pin A, but those are blank now (since it's from the dedicated 2 pin connector).

When I connect my multimeter to the 2 pin header, I get 12V. But when I have it connected to the cluster, I don't get 12V from yellow to ground. What gives? I'm totally at sea here. There's a bunch of blanks, I assume this printed circuit is modular in design, for different cluster designs, and having them blank is a non-issue?

Such a bummer that 1992 manuals aren't available anywhere. I'm close to throwing this issue over the wall to my mechanic. I'm going to go check the FSU and temp sensor next and see if I end up slapping my forehead. HARD.

Edited by mike1305

1 hour ago, mike1305 said:

Such a bummer that 1992 manuals aren't available anywhere. I'm close to throwing this issue over the wall to my mechanic. I'm going to go check the FSU and temp sensor next and see if I end up slapping my forehead. HARD.

Well I did end up going full "head slap" but for a different reason. The black connector that hooks up here was jammed behind the plastic bucket mold the cluster sits in, and I basically forgot it was there. Plugged it in, right as rain! D'oh.

On a separate topic, where the heck is the check engine light? haha. Sorry to drag this back out of the depths.... Cheers

HN7FumJ.png

• Like 1

Hey, at least you got it in the end! The CEL should come on if you turn the key on without starting the engine. Mine's at the far left, second from the top I think, but mine's a '93 (special one-year-only cluster for some reason). If you can't find it, pull the cluster, pull the bulbs out of the back, and shine a flashlight through the holes to illuminate the various idiot lights until you find the one you're after.

I find the '90 manual from cardiagn covers my '93 better than the '94/'95 manuals do. I'd still like to find a dedicated '93 manual at some point, but not enough to pay what paper copies go for when they show up.

Some of the 92 and older ones didn't have a check engine light. But apparently you can put a bulb in the socket where it is supposed to be and it will light up.

2 hours ago, adamzan said:

Some of the 92 and older ones didn't have a check engine light. But apparently you can put a bulb in the socket where it is supposed to be and it will light up.

That's crazy. I had the cluster out (obviously) and saw one trace "ING CHECK" went to a blank bulb, would be right above the brake light, but just red. Might be worth putting in a bulb next time I disassemble the dash to resolder the joints. Has anyone actually done that? I've found videos on how to check codes on the ECU. Maybe it's better not to have it there, I'm sure it's got codes galore with all the deferred maintenance I'm trying to catch up on, haha.

Also these computers aren't very perceptive. The only time I've gotten a code out of mine was when there was a literal rat's nest stuffed into the MAF sensor. I've chased idle issues, stumbles, and misfires that the computer never noticed.

I had no idea the earlier ones didn't come with a CEL. Maybe it wasn't a federal requirement yet? If it functions normally when you add a bulb to it, I'll bet you could letter the square yourself, have it display "danger to manifold" or something.

• Haha 1