My First Pathfinder

Ok, so I recently purchased a 1991 Nissan Pathfinder SE, and after reading these forums it sounds like a lot can be done to these vehicles. My goal with my pathfinder is to make an ultimate off-roading machine, and i wanted to know where to start. First off its all stock besides the wheels and shocks, which i recently replaced. The previous owners never replaced the shocks, so as i was getting the old ones out, i noticed they had the factory shocks still installed. This vehicle has 153k miles, and stock shocks? WTF! So those are gone. Its recently got a tune up, tranny flushed, and a new oil filter. But all this is basic stuff. I need a good starting point to ultimately reach my goal. Any help?

Edited by 91OregonPath

Search is your friend....what exactly do you want to know?

Look around, there is info on Body lifts, suspension lifts, Solid axle swaps, custom mods, just about anything.

Search, browse, and peruse my friend.

Agreed. Search is going to be the best thing you can learn how to use on this forums cause if you can think of a question, 9 times out of 10 ts already been answered at some point already. But as a starting point, this is what I suggest.

before doing ANY MODIFICATIONS for offroad, take care of the vehicle's small issues that can effect its lifespan. First and foremost, if it has a Auto tranny, it is crucial to get a aftermarket tranny cooler installed and BYPASS the stock one. The stock coolers are notorious for clogging and then goodbye tranny. Next is Timing belt service. They should be done every 60000 miles/100000 kms and if you're not sure when it was done last, do it now. If the belt snaps, skips teeth, etc, you'll be looking for a new engine, and trust us that it has happened MANY times to people on here in the past that had it on their to do list but never got around to it.

The list of things that can and should be done before tampering with suspensions and steering is all over the forums, but a good place to start is in the Common Problems of the new members area. Don't be in a rush to get it all jacked up and on the trail either or you may end up regretting not taking your time and doing a lot of reading. There's a lot of info on these boards and people have done a lot of different things so if you take your time, you'll learn what works best and what doesn't that way you can make informed decisions and not feel like you made a mistake.

Welcome to the forums.

• Like 1

Before you go doeing all the things you think you need to make your truck "hardcore", maby do a little playing in stock form with some nice meaty tires. You may be pleasantly suprised to start with, secondly you will know what areas for the type of wheelin you do that need more help that others. Sure having a tall truck with big friggin tires will help you be "in" with the mall terrains, but if everything around those tires is useless... well, you proably understand what I mean. As stated, search can be a usefull tool, but don't be afraid to ask either. Sometimes it can be a little wHierd trying to find things if you don't word them right (or spell kinda poorly :hide: )

and welcome!

You will probably need to replace the rear shocks again, if you plan to lift it, the rear shocks will be to short.

How "Ultimate" are you thinking? Do you want something good all around, or something for extreme crawling or mudding? If you want extreme, start reading through the SAS threads. If you want good all around, here is my suggestion; Get about 2" lift coils in the rear, and crank up the torsion bars in front, get a good set of 31" MT tires, if you don't have LSD in the rear, get a mechanical locker, upgrade the steering (search the forums), get a winch bumper and winch, make some skid plates under the tranny and oil pan, and get a set of sliders on. Setup like that, you will be able to go just about anywhere without much if any damage, and be able to get out IF you get stuck. I've followed "built rigs" and made it through some spots much easier than they did, only thing I haven't done on my list is the winch, and locker but they are in my plans.

although I'm not one to talk about waiting to modify a vehicle, there is something to be said for wheeling it stock for a few months before you starting doing the heavy duty mods. Like others have said, if you are eager to start wheelin now and think you will still want to modify it later (and don't plan on using it as a highway commuter) I would start with ARMOR. Sure, you could modify it w/lockers and meaty tires, but it will only make more work for you in the long run (and you won't forgive yourself) if you can drive places that will only get you more stuck with body damage...thats just my take on it.

It sounds like you are going to want something similar to what I run. 33x1250x15 tires on 15x8 rims, 3" body lift with 3" suspension lift. I used XJ rough country front springs for lifting the rear of my truck, and Rough Country upper control arms to correct the ball joint angle in the front with low profile bump stops.

Unless you want to spend a few grand or are a master fabricator, this is really close to the best you can do (aside from acquiring a trailmaster 4" lift and combining that with the 3" body lift and 3" suspension lift). Now, if you have that kind of money, I'd suggest a 4 link or trilink front end, a sbc350 swap, roll cage, bumpers, winch, arb lockers, sliders, and 37s on beadlocks. ;) I can dream!

A ton of good advice in these past few posts.

I will say that my first upgrade would be the steering fix...(hoohaa, dummy box)

That is what I am in the process of doing....and kicking myself for NOT doing it in the beginning...

+1

for recommending the timing belt RIGHT NOW

it takes maybe a Saturday and a 12 pack beer to do

and it will save you a TON of money and hassle later on.... trust me, I'm experiencing the loss of money and hassle of swapping motors right now due to a snapped belt -_-