smaller size spare?

jgt

Not pathfinder related, but f150. Looks like the fx4 we bought is missing the spare tire. Can I run a 265/75-16 spare on when my actual wheels are 265/70-17? Or is the diameter too small? I can pick up one for $25 and would like to have something if I flat. Thanks!

According to one of the online tire size calculator I picked randomly, you are fine with that combo.

Specification Sidewall Radius Diameter Circumference Revolutions Speedometer Odometer Difference

265/75-16 7.8" 15.8" 31.6" 99.4" 637/mi 60MPH 10000mi N/A

265/70-17 7.3" 15.8" 31.6" 99.3" 638/mi 60MPH 10014mi -0.1%

There may be a little variation in diameter from one brand to another, but probably not enough to wory about. :aok:

B

when you use tires of diferent size in the same axle you will cause dammage to the diferential.

Even if you use two tires that have the same size but one is worn and the other is not, you'll cause dammage.

Try to avoid this and use it only in case of emergency

True, but I think she is just saying to use it as an emergency for when she has a flat tire, not to drive around on for the life of the truck.

The other trick is to put the mismatched tires up front of it is a 2wd so you don't have any differential issues, but that often causes steering issues so I wasn't even going to mention it... :shrug:

B

should be alright as an emergency use thing. I wouldn't call it a perminant fix when you need it, treat it like a space saver spare... use it to get you somewhere to fix the right one and toss it in the back again until next time.

Your fine,I ran a 245-75-16 with 3 245-70-16s for 15k and nothing bad happen.I have the same truck as you by the way,there good trucks and lets hope you got one with the 5.4 triton.

yeah, but mine is 17" wheels and the spare is a 16". Thanks for everyone's replies, sounds like it's 'okay in a pinch' but don't run it on 4wd or on the rear wheel if at all possible. btw, yes I did the the 5.4 triton, why, are the other engines bad?

Yes,my o2 f150 fx4 has 17 wheels.I was saying that I drove my pathfinder with a wrong size tire for 15k.

I would see if that wheel will fit,I cant remeber the year but one still f150 wont fit anything less then 17s...The v6 isnt a bad engine but the 4.6 v8 is pretty gutless for a 8 and they have problems with stripping the plug holes in the heads.And the 5.4 is the best,builds good torqe down low in the rpm range.

Edited by nismothunder

they have problems with stripping the plug holes in the heads.

thats the v10 that's more prone for that... that I generally see (and actually have had 2 5.4 vans that it happened to)

thats the v10 that's more prone for that... that I generally see (and actually have had 2 5.4 vans that it happened to)

The triton v8 in genral have the Shooting spark plug problem,Ok...But Ford had a recall on them.

Actually, even though the rim and the tire is a different size, the difference between the two are so minimal that it wouldn't matter. It would definitely look funny, but there would be no problem with running it as a spare as the radius of the tires are pretty much the same.

The FX4 may need to run a 17" or larger wheel perhaps? No idea, but the difference may make a difference, ie. the 16" wont fit?

Go back to the dealership and tell them.. AFAIK it's 'against the rules' for a dealership to send a vehicle out without a spare tire and the means to change it.