Building a custom Cold Air Intake

Tungsten

And again, Bernard and I are NOT on the same page. Sorry bro. That was clearly my bad...

That is a good idea pro street. I had thought about using a sheet metal brake and making one like that, to make it an actual "cold air" intake...lol

No worries, I didn't realize there was a bad... :shrug:

I still need to map out my plans though. I have an aftermarket exhaust, but a stock intake...

Hopefully I'll get these other things done first. :unsure:

B

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I didn't realize that you were going to a suspended cone filter. I thought that you were going to the hard mounted stock air box and I think the engine moves too much to have a hard tube inbetween the two.

Yes, a simple metal tube would work if you plumb it correctly. You may not get the same performance of a 'tuned' intake though. :shrug:

B

With mine, the 2 rubber couplings at either end of the tube allow enough flex for the motor when it "torque twists".

(Our engines torque twist :rofl: )

• 2 months later...

Check out this COMPLETE KIT for $52 plus free shipping. Heard good reviews, going to pick one up.

Sorry for the picture quality i just took it off there site.

Pathfinder2.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-PATHFINDER-3-0-3-0L-V6-AIR-INTAKE-1991-1995-/280577752947?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APathfinder|Year%3A1993&hash=item4153bcbf73

Edited by ACEX2

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

here is my intake i did with some tubing laying in the shop, 2 couplers from oriellys a filter a 4" ford maf adapter and a few different hole saws, had to redrill 2 of the holes in the maf adapter and remove the stock air coffin, coupler cost me 6.99 with clamps, maf adapter was 12.99 with bolts, air filter 24.99, total was $53.89 out the door and it looks better then every other intake i have seen and its not from the plumming section lol, oh yah stillen intake is for 96 and newer pathys

e713yv.jpg

bv1qx.jpg

etblzp.jpg

i picked up alot of low end torque at least 15-20 f/lbs and 4 mpg even with the cel on lol, v6 sounds pretty nasty when you got your foot in it,i wouldbe willing to wager a bet that it funcions just as good if not better then anything from stillen or jwt, years of tuning and building race motors for a living tells me i was spot on with design and fitment for optimum funtion and performance gains

Check out this COMPLETE KIT for $52 plus free shipping. Heard good reviews, going to pick one up.

Sorry for the picture quality i just took it off there site.

Pathfinder2.jpg

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-PATHFINDER-3-0-3-0L-V6-AIR-INTAKE-1991-1995-/280577752947?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3APathfinder|Year%3A1993&hash=item4153bcbf73

looking at the picture i can tell you that the couplers are too soft and may tear due to poor quality rubber and no re-enforment meshing layered in too the coupler, a good coupler should hold the whole intake up with out bending like it is in the picture, but looks a little longer then mine and may help top-end but no change with the low end torque which we need for off roading and what not

• 2 weeks later...

ok so its been a long time since i posted something but this thread caught my eye. i know its not the greatest job you have ever seen but it does make a noticable difference in mpg and sound. yes i love hose clamps! but just posting to give another idea for someone looking to do so.[/img]pathyintake.jpg[/img]i have a heat shield for it but this was before i did

Edited by jeremyelvis

• 2 weeks later...

Still take my diy intake of that over priced junk, it uses all the old intake tubing which has all kinds of ribbing which disrupts the flow of air across the throttle plate. You can do the same thing as the pop charger with a maf adapter and a filter for $35, cause thats all you get for $160 all that crap about a venturi lol is a smoke and mirrors to buy there product.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if a custom cold air intake will do much without a full exhaust. One reason I want to at least remove the rib pipe from mine is because I already have a 2.5" exhaust with headers so there might be a difference at this point.

Edited by Tungsten

• 3 months later...

looking at the picture i can tell you that the couplers are too soft and may tear due to poor quality rubber and no re-enforment meshing layered in too the coupler, a good coupler should hold the whole intake up with out bending like it is in the picture, but looks a little longer then mine and may help top-end but no change with the low end torque which we need for off roading and what not

i picked up alot of low end torque at least 15-20 f/lbs and 4 mpg even with the cel on lol, v6 sounds pretty nasty when you got your foot in it,i wouldbe willing to wager a bet that it funcions just as good if not better then anything from stillen or jwt, years of tuning and building race motors for a living tells me i was spot on with design and fitment for optimum funtion and performance gains

Sorry to bump an old thread, but isn't the eBay intake and your intake the same design? Why would your intake provide 15-20 more rwtq and the other intake produce no extra torque and just a little high end horsepower? Aside from your shorter tube, I do not see any other difference other than a larger diameter filter and MAF adapter inlet, which would be restricted by the stock MAF housing diameter anyway.

Not trying to be an ass, I am genuinely curious. I have been wrenching for a long time but am far off from a "tuner" so to speak, so just trying to learn.

Also, what made the CEL come on and what needs to be done to turn it off? I know with newer cars it is best to disconnect the battery to "reset" the ECU so that it can "re-learn" according to the mods that have been performed. I am not sure how that works on these older vehicles. I never did that on my old Z31's I used to have (nor did I hear of any other Z31 owners doing it), but on my '09 Focus, everyone on the forums recommends you do that even for a simple drop-in K&N filter swap.

EDIT: Got the eBay intake installed. Fitment was what you'd expect from a $50 intake. The adapter didn't line up perfectly (the bolt holes are way off but still line up), and the couplers and blue hose are quite soft as stated above. The adapter came in with one corner bent, which I had to bend back, and the filter looks to be a cheapie. The support bracket had to be bent into the correct shape according to their picture as it was just a straight piece of aluminum stock with a couple holes drilled in it. Luckily it was soft and easy to bend/twist to get it mounted correctly. The plastic hose barbs are kind of crappy, and even though they have threads, they're just kind of pushed in. Might be prone to leaking. All in all, I had to bend up the bracket, use some silicone on the hose barbs and MAF adapter to make sure they didn't leak, and extended the vacuum lines with new hose to get around using the crappy stuff they provided. It does seem to be a noticeable gain, throttle response is better and it seems to accelerate smoother (I have a custom 2.5" exhaust with a Magnaflow and came from a fresh stock paper filter). The growl is a nice touch (as with any cone style intake). No data on MPG as I literally just installed it a couple hours ago. All-in-all you really can't beat it for $52. Now I did just order a K&N cone filter for $42 to replace the $10 crappy one they give you, so now I'm about $94 into it. Still not bad for a "K&N" short ram intake, especially considering most anything you buy bolt-on from one of the major companies is usually $200-350.

Edited by c00lkatz

• 2 months later...

At the end it looks like this:

IMG03226-20111220-1814.jpg

It does produce sound whooooooummmm when accelerating...

Changing the air intake cost was 300 pesos (8 usd), I paid 400 pesos.

829-843-2476 is phone of Martin, the mechanic (Spanish only), located next to Hospital Centro Medico Bavaro - Punta Cana.

Actually this is not useful for you guys, except if you come as tourists to Punta Cana.

As you can see, mechanic is in the t-shirt, in December, as the temperature in Caribbean was 78F today.

Edited by Milos
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

This does not fit at once

IMG03206-20111220-1722.jpg

Preparation

IMG03210-20111220-1724.jpg

We have used old screws as the new screws are low quality.

IMG03209-20111220-1723.jpg

At the end it fits okay, on all four points

IMG03212-20111220-1726.jpg

How did you prep it? What did you put in it do it won't leak?

• 1 month later...