smog removal?

The cat can go,it will be louder,but you dont need it.Some people will say that it gives you more power but thats only true if there plugged.Even on big engines that are built you will only see 1-3 more horsy over stock with out a cat,unless there extremly plugged.I dont have a vg30i so i cant tell you more.But you could get 20-30 bucks for the meow at a salvage yard.

• Like 1

The cat can go,it will be louder,but you dont need it.Some people will say that it gives you more power but thats only true if there plugged.Even on big engines that are built you will only see 1-3 more horsy over stock with out a cat,unless there extremly plugged.I dont have a vg30i so i cant tell you more.But you could get 20-30 bucks for the meow at a salvage yard.

I am used to removing cats because i have owned a few turbo cars.I see some of the tubes running to the cat so I know once I start removing the smog pump and its accessories,the cat will have to go.

Just seeing if anyone else has done it and what exactly can go and what can stay.What stays but has to be capped off etc.

Going to see how much of the engine bay I can clear out before I fully clean it and make it all nice looking again.

there may not be emissions where you live but it is federal law to keep a cat(and some other components) on a vehicle if it was origianlly equiped with one. Do they go arround looking under everyones car? no but IMO Having a magnaflow cat just so I can say I have a cat is worth it to me.

Other equipment,

Cabon canister- To remove it you must pulg the vacum lines but leave the line going to the tank open. You can put a small motorcyle fuel filter on it to prevent debris but it needs to breathe.

EGR Valve- Leave it, replace it if it has failed. It doesn't take much space and when you are cruising it Impoves MPG by adding Non-combustable exhaust into the cyl thus causing you to burn less air and fuel. its like temporaily having a smaller engine but it goes back to normal when you accelerate.

Everything else- Take it off, plug it. Your exhuast temps may go up but you'll have a cleaner engine bay.

• Like 1

there may not be emissions where you live but it is federal law to keep a cat(and some other components) on a vehicle if it was origianlly equiped with one. Do they go arround looking under everyones car? no but IMO Having a magnaflow cat just so I can say I have a cat is worth it to me.

Other equipment,

Cabon canister- To remove it you must pulg the vacum lines but leave the line going to the tank open. You can put a small motorcyle fuel filter on it to prevent debris but it needs to breathe.

EGR Valve- Leave it, replace it if it has failed. It doesn't take much space and when you are cruising it Impoves MPG by adding Non-combustable exhaust into the cyl thus causing you to burn less air and fuel. its like temporaily having a smaller engine but it goes back to normal when you accelerate.

Everything else- Take it off, plug it. Your exhuast temps may go up but you'll have a cleaner engine bay.

In Alabama,there isn't anyone going to be under it looking for anything.hell,they wouldn't even know what to look for.lol

All the Poo Poo wants to know if it has a muffler...or they want to hear that it does.

Thanks for the info,sounds pretty much what i take off on the turbo cars.

I Just seeing if anyone else has done it and what exactly can go and what can stay.What stays but has to be capped off etc.

Going to see how much of the engine bay I can clear out before I fully clean it and make it all nice looking again.

take a look at my thread "intake project on the go". you can see how much of the AIV I took out(everything). the pipe to the exhaust manifold is still there, i just put a cap in the hose until i get my headers in( you can see it beside the "nub" on my rad. And the pipe to the CAT? Pull enough that the engine bay is clear, but leave everything underneath there just incase you want to put it all back or move to a place with emissions.

As for what MY1PATH says...yes, leave you EGR. 456 your taking out your cat,you might as well do something for the environment. And I an see his point on the mpg thing.

Canister stays. thats stopping fuel from getting out. Even if its only a little bit evaporating, these trucks already waste enough gasoline as it is.

One request: you have to post a pic of you AIV filter if you haven't already turfed it. Mine was pretty scary.

yeah, i'd say thats pretty rotted, with til you see how bad the filter inside is

you can pull that little vac. solenoid and cap the line where it "y's" off of the AB valve line.

there should be a blue relay in that area too; I pulled mine and didn't have any problems.

there should be another part to this setup under you intake hose, that can go too.

once it all out, theres actually quite alot of space in there.

Yeah, basically just remove the air pump (AIV), all it realy does is pump air into the cat to mix with the exhaust. You don't need the extra air mixing in, the VG30e doesn't have it. The AIV is what takes up the most space, and is the least usefull component.

• 3 weeks later...

I removed and capped everything, i mean EVERYTHING.

Cat

EGR

AIV

PCV

A/B valve

Mixture heater on the TBI

I'd hook the PCV back up if you want your engine to live a long time. I run a PCV system even on full race engines. When you're off the throttle manifold vacuum sucks fresh air through the crankcase with the PCV system to draw out the fuel vapors. This keeps the vapors from condensing and mixing with the oil. There is no performance downside to running a PCV system. By 1/4 throttle or so the PCV valve closes due to lack of manifold vacuum. It doesn't cost anything in performance or mileage and while it's technically part of the 'emission control system' it's actually there to increase the longevity of the engine more than anything else.

Everything else you listed: Yeah lose it! (For off road use, of course.) :sly: I've kept the carbon canister in my Pathy. As with the PCV there is no performance downside and it's an awfully tidy way to vent a fuel tank in a way that it will not leak liquid fuel or vapor even at odd angles, like when my truck is laying on it's side. :aok: My cat is coming off soon. My truck sees enough tall, dry grass on our acreage that the cat scares me every time I park the truck off the pavement.

The engine can push vapors out faster than being drawn out, UOA's have shown better TAN #'s with a vented crankcase on some vehicles, less chance for dirt being sucked into the crankcase if the valve cover gaskets or seals are torn aswell.

I could go on for hours on how the PCV valve is only for emissions, and how the fuel vapors are flashed out of the crankcase when engine oil reaches normal 100c temp.

• 9 years later...