My first 4wd

sliggett

Hey, just thought i'd post a couple pics of my 95 pathfinder SE. This is my first 4wd vehicle i've ever owned ,i've always had 2wd trucks and suvs unfortunately. But no better way to start off than with a reliable Nissan :). Just picked this up friday, 130k on the odometer...

DSCI0327.jpg

DSCI0326.jpg

DSCI0325.jpg

DSCI0324.jpg

DSCI0328.jpg

Welcome and nice truck!!

I see that it is an automagic so you should look into installing an aftermarket tranny cooler as the stock radiator units are prone to clogging and that will kill the tranny...

B

Welcome and nice truck!!

I see that it is an automagic so you should look into installing an aftermarket tranny cooler as the stock radiator units are prone to clogging and that will kill the tranny...

B

Seconded.

Very nice looking truck! Almost reminds me of mine when I first got it, now mine's been on the trail a number of times and doesn't look quite so pretty.

Hey, thanks for the comments! I read about the stock tranny cooler, that will be one of the first things i do. I also read the thread with DoctorBill replacing the timing belt and adding the tranny cooler, very good write-up. There's some good information on this site.

Welcome,the boys have already said what I wanted to.But they missed a big one,When was the timing belt last changed?

I'm not sure that it has, the guy that sold it to me only had it for only 6 months(pathfinders are not very good daily drivers for 70 mile a day commutes), so i doubt it has.

OK.

So, not trying to scare you, but on a 1995 the timing belt change interval is 4 years/105k miles. If you have no idea if it has been changed, consider that it hasn't been and you are way over due. The parts for a minimal change are cheap, but must of us change most of the components around it so we don't have to deal with it again soon. Think $50-$300 and there are several write ups in the Garage section for you to read; search around.

Again, if you don't know that it has been changed, don't wait whether you do it yourself or pay a mechanic. The motor is an interference design and will do bad things if the belt breaks or skips badly. It is one of the top 6 reasons Pathys are junked. In no real order...

1) Accidents

2) Rust

3) Timing belt failure

4) Automatic tranny failure

5) Max Stryker

B

5) Max Stryker

B

:rofl:

I've always like the white ones with all black trim.

Welcome. At least you won't have to worry about number 5.

Edited by adamzan

Ok, Newb question that has probably already been covered but i couldn't find anything with the search feature. I was looking on 4x4parts.com and was looking at the 2" and 3" body lift kits. Why is the 2" kit more costly? It looks like with the 3" you even get a few more parts. I just thought this was odd. :scratchhead:

3" is the one that sells more often so it's better priced :shrug: Not alot of people go for the 2" kit. Same basic ammount of work so might as well save a couple bucks and get the extra inch, eh?

More people get the 3" body lift so through sales volume it is cheaper. Why do people get the 3" body lift more?? Small hootuses...

Seriously, most people are trying to get max lift, usually to fit 33" tires. I personally have a 2" lift and run 31" tires. While cost is a factor, do what you think is best, not what is the cheapest or what everyone else does... ;)

B

B's just too old to climb...

This is true,you should hear him when he has to climb stairs...

*what the hell,in my day we didnt have these damn thing,yada-yada...you get the idea...*

Is it just me trying to think again or do the 2 inchers not require t-case shifter trimming/bending...

And the Number 6 reason is Pinkparts/people trying to stuff small blocks in them...

Is it just me trying to think again or do the 2 inchers not require t-case shifter trimming/bending...

I couldn't get 4lo with the stock shifter and no notching. Works/looks great with a HB shifter though... :aok:

B

DON'T TRUST PREVIOUS OWNER ABOUT THE BELTS

>_M<

best to do it again just to be sure... it really isn't that hard to do and should only take a Saturday and one 12 pack of beer to get done

also, Swapdip made a video on youtube that's pretty decent :)

My motor's been torn apart for over a month now and I've spent $700 at the machine shop already (whole sale price using my shop discount) and $200 in other parts

because the belt went and bent all the valves in the heads >_<

K, thanks for clearing that up for me. I'll probably go with the 3", i don't really want to run bigger tires right now but i'm sure i'll change my mind on down the road, i tend to do that....

DON'T TRUST PREVIOUS OWNER ABOUT THE BELTS

>_M<

best to do it again just to be sure... it really isn't that hard to do and should only take a Saturday and one 12 pack of beer to get done

also, Swapdip made a video on youtube that's pretty decent :)

My motor's been torn apart for over a month now and I've spent $700 at the machine shop already (whole sale price using my shop discount) and $200 in other parts

because the belt went and bent all the valves in the heads >_<

Wow, thanks for the tip! I'll be doing this before I lift it. Timing belts being replaced every 100k sucks, i'm more familiar with the vq (chain instead of belt) than i am with the vg. That's ok though, I like learning new things. That video is VERY helpful (and hilarious :laugh: ), makes me feel a little better about trying it.

Sounds like you'll fit in pretty good around here

most of us have no idea what we're doing with a wrench but dive right in anyway

BEST WAY TO LEARN! :D

and if we get stuck, there's a ton of experienced people around here willing to help and give pointers :aok:

as funny as the video is, it's actually got a lot of really good info and is a great walk through. I did my belt for the first time a week before he posted the vid and I REALLY wish I would have had it for a guide.

the 3" body lift also makes fixing stuff SO much easier :friday::)

heh, those guys that break exhaust studs and do their own oil changes will vouch for that

I even found changing the #6 spark plug to be tons easier with the body lift. B) (so you won't need QUITE as crazy of a tool to get in there, I managed with just one swivel)

the timing belt isn't all that hard to do even if you've never done it before, on the Infiniti Q45 we used to have I replaced the 2 knock sensors under the intake plenum, having never even changed the oil filter or anything on that engine and with one minor, ok major slip up (cracked the plenum!!), everything came off and went back together ok. That is the great thing about the forums, there is always someone on to ask.

haha, no worries. i knew when i got it that it would need some work, i appreciate everyone telling me all of the common problems or routine maintenance. there are plenty of videos and writeups on just about everything on here. :)