Just had a $2000.00 repair...

Just had a $2000.00 repair, not covered by the ultimate extended warranty . A $266.00 A/C hose RUSTED through and it is 10 hours labour to change , hose goes from engine to rear compartment A/C rad . What kind of hose rusts through in 3 years ?? Not impressed with Nissan , have a 12 year old explorer with 450,000 km that costs me less in repairs than this pathfinder .

My french is not great , but the bill says they had to take the body off the frame to change this hose , great design !

So beware , if your AC goes out hope it is NOT this hose that has rusted through !

if anybody wants i can post the part number .

Edited by Pezzy
Revised title

yep, common on the 05 and up and supposedly can't be fixed without raising the body. I've heard Nissan used the wrong type of metal in those pipes and the coolant will corrode them. I've also heard there is foam insulation on them that tends to get dirt/sand/rocks stuck in it and eventually wears the pipe away. I don't know which theory is correct but that sux man. I'm hoping I don't end up with the same problem

That sucks man... rust is even hurtin newer trucks already! Not covered under warranty? I think I'da stuck with the good old 4/60 a/c then after a quote on how much to fix it...

yep, common on the 05 and up and supposedly can't be fixed without raising the body. I've heard Nissan used the wrong type of metal in those pipes and the coolant will corrode them. I've also heard there is foam insulation on them that tends to get dirt/sand/rocks stuck in it and eventually wears the pipe away. I don't know which theory is correct but that sux man. I'm hoping I don't end up with the same problem

I think they used the wrong type of metal , have you heard of this happening often ? If so do you think nissan will pay part of the cost if I complain to the right person ? This rely sucks , that a 3 year old truck has such a problem . They warranty the body for years against rust through , why not ALL metal parts

Seems they had a recall on rust through on some airbag sensor components , maybe they are being supplied with sub par components .

My 98 exploder has the90% original ac components , just a few gaskets needed changing .

The metal is fine, it's aluminum. The problem is the foam they use at certain places to prevent vibration. The foam holds moisture, and water and corrodes the aluminum till a leak occours.

There is 2 ways to fix it.

Take the body off the truck and replace the entire line

Use a hose repair kit to cut out the affected line piece and splice in a repair piece.

The coolant lines also corrode through, but that is less common, and is easily repaired with some rubber line and hose clamps.

Anyone with an 05+ with rear air should climb under their truck, find the lines (they run along the passenger frame rail), remove all the foam that they can find, and then use a good quality undercoating or rocker guard to spray the entire line to prevent future corrosion.

Unfortunatly, nissan is only covering this line for 3yr/60,000km even if you have an extended warranty, as the extended warranty doesn't cover "corrosion".

Personally, I think it sucks, and it's a kick in the balls on nissan's part, but sometimes there's just certain things the dealer's hands are tied on....

The metal is fine, it's aluminum. The problem is the foam they use at certain places to prevent vibration. The foam holds moisture, and water and corrodes the aluminum till a leak occours.

Take the body off the truck and replace the entire line

Use a hose repair kit to cut out the affected line piece and splice in a repair piece.

The coolant lines also corrode through, but that is less common, and is easily repaired with some rubber line and hose clamps.

Anyone with an 05+ with rear air should climb under their truck, find the lines (they run along the passenger frame rail), remove all the foam that they can find, and then use a good quality undercoating or rocker guard to spray the entire line to prevent future corrosion.

Unfortunatly, nissan is only covering this line for 3yr/60,000km even if you have an extended warranty, as the extended warranty doesn't cover "corrosion".

Personally, I think it sucks, and it's a kick in the balls on nissan's part, but sometimes there's just certain things the dealer's hands are tied on....

Well nissan has lost at least 15 customers , no one in my family will go near one .All my fords never had a problem like this , and if they did it was fixed under warranty , NO QUESTIONS ASKED . Nissan is playing a stupid game , this and the rad/transmission problem will bite them in the a$$ .Own up to your defects .

Well nissan has lost at least 15 customers , no one in my family will go near one .All my fords never had a problem like this , and if they did it was fixed under warranty , NO QUESTIONS ASKED . Nissan is playing a stupid game , this and the rad/transmission problem will bite them in the a$$ .Own up to your defects .

They're not my defects, I didn't build the car!

Sounds to me you should sell your's quick and buy a jeep. lol!

Edited by morpheus

Good information to know, I have revised the title of this thread slightly, so hopefully others can catch the issue before suffering the same fate.

They're not my defects, I didn't build the car!

Sounds to me you should sell your's quick and buy a jeep.

Not saying they were your defects , but Nissan . Sorry if you took it personally . And I hae a 2009 jeep and a 98 exploder +a 2009 escape , don't need more cars

Edited by jerry6

Hey Mike, can you post a pic of the foam insulation that needs to be removed?

From what I remember, it's in theese areas:

Untitled.jpg

The spots that the plastic clamps hold the lines together are also a place that cause issues.

Not saying they were your defects , but Nissan . Sorry if you took it personally . And I hae a 2009 jeep and a 98 exploder +a 2009 escape , don't need more cars

edited my post for clairity... lol.

Thanks for the diagram , up on the lift it goes . So foam AND the plastic clamps have to go ? What to use in place of the clamps , plastic ties with rubber surrounds ?

Heres a pic of some Armada lines we replaced, they are similar

DSCF1668.JPG

It's a catch 22 if you should remove the brackets or not. The best way is to take the clamp apart, make sure all the dirt and grit that might "sandpaper" through the lines is cleaned out, and use some new foam, then seal it up with something.

• 1 month later...

Heres a pic of some Armada lines we replaced, they are similar

DSCF1668.JPG

It's a catch 22 if you should remove the brackets or not. The best way is to take the clamp apart, make sure all the dirt and grit that might "sandpaper" through the lines is cleaned out, and use some new foam, then seal it up with something.

You guys up north get all sots of rust problems from ice/snow/salt we never see down here. It really takes a beating fast on a vehicle.

As a side note I will say that 'extended warranties' are a misleading in the least IMHO.

A warranty is offered by the manufacturer.

If one looks at their 'extended warranty' they are from third party non-manufacturer provider companies of various reputations.

People unfortuantely think or assume it is from Nissan and it is not.

It is not a warranty, it is in effect an insurance policy - an insurance policy with many, many exceptions as to what is and is not covered. And just like your health insurance company they can reject anything they want.

Also, many basic 'extended warranties' only cover engine and transmission. If you have one of these extended warranties read carefully the terms and conditions!

They also use the most inexpensive route to repair your vehicle, their favorite is using parts from salvage yards.

I shudder everytime I see a front wheel drive sedan that has hit a curb and they are having the control arms replaced with salvage yard parts of various condition or a transmission that looks like it has been sitting out in a cow pasture for years.

But the extended warranty company decides the source of the parts - anything to cut the expense another nickel. I have seen things put on that I would never put on my vehicle, but all the customer knows is 'I got my car fixed for a $50 copay' I got a real good deal!'

So, you live in Montreal and your rig is not undercoated? How many miles do you have on your rig?

These things happen. Im suprised this is not covered under your corrosion warranty. I might have to go look into that....

They also use the most inexpensive route to repair your vehicle, their favorite is using parts from salvage yards.

I shudder everytime I see a front wheel drive sedan that has hit a curb and they are having the control arms replaced with salvage yard parts of various condition or a transmission that looks like it has been sitting out in a cow pasture for years.

But the extended warranty company decides the source of the parts - anything to cut the expense another nickel. I have seen things put on that I would never put on my vehicle, but all the customer knows is 'I got my car fixed for a $50 copay' I got a real good deal

Boy! You hit that on the head!

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

Just had a $2000.00 repair, not covered by the ultimate extended warranty . A $266.00 A/C hose RUSTED through and it is 10 hours labour to change , hose goes from engine to rear compartment A/C rad . What kind of hose rusts through in 3 years ?? Not impressed with Nissan , have a 12 year old explorer with 450,000 km that costs me less in repairs than this pathfinder .

My french is not great , but the bill says they had to take the body off the frame to change this hose , great design !

So beware , if your AC goes out hope it is NOT this hose that has rusted through !

if anybody wants i can post the part number .

Hi,

That is a drag, sorry. I have a 2008 V8 LE and was wondering about the aluminum lines and any potential problems. Suggestions? Thx