suspension upgrade plan overview

So I have been researching suspension options for my pathfinder for sometime, a lot of it through this forum, and have come to a bit of a hault. Im pretty set on the OME coils but would like to run some other struts and shocks, now I was hoping that some one could please give me some insight as to which set up would be ideal. My concern is that by running a mix match something might go wrong in the sense that there is an issue of compatibility. I wanted to run the OME 1.75 inch lift HD coils (are these to hardcore, should I drop down to the comfort? My goal is to have improved suspesion that will last) with rancho struts (need a recommendation for this) and rs9000xl shocks. From my readings I dont realy see the kyb are all that great after reading about all the topping out issues. (anyone running this or similar?)

Part 2;

Now for the installation of the goodies. I wanted to know if it is worth trying to do the install by myself or just have a shop do it?

Any and all info is helpfull, thanks.

Topping out is not caused by the struts themselves, but by the AC 2" coils. Get KYB GR-2 Struts. Much better than Rancho struts. The shocks are fine to use. I haven't heard anyone complain about topping out with OME coils, but Fueler or Tyler might be able to chime in on that matter. Use OEM (not to be confused with OME) strut mounts and bearings. As for the HD, some people say that if you don't have a steel bumper, it can be really stiff. This also raises the front hight. If you don't plan on getting a front bumper (either a $1100 ARB or $520+ KMA) and you have a weak back, or are concerned with comfort than the mediums might be more your style.

If you have the tools to assemble the struts, then by all means save yourself a few bucks and do it. If your not sure you can or can't, then a shop may be for you.

Hope this helps.

Jose

I second what 180sx says....stay away from the Rancho struts. They are crap with a capital C. I burned through 3 of them on the passenger side and 1 on the driver's side, rancho kept replacing them under warranty. At that time, I had the AC 2" coils on the front and rear of my Pathy. My assumption is that the Rancho struts just can not cope with the constant top-out stresses that the AC coils cause (although AC will swear to their dying breath that their coils are well within the shock's limits). I know other members on this forum have had better luck with the GR2s withstanding that abuse.

I finally got fed up with putting new struts on every 2 months and switched to the GR2s. At the same time, I switched to the OME HD coils up front. Even though the GR2s can handle supposedly the AC coils, I didn't want to take any chances (plus I just hated the sound of the struts topping out). Nothing worse than riding around with your buddy bragging about your new lift then trying to explain that god awful bang every time you hit a slight pot-hole or go over a speed bump. I left the AC coils out back. No problems since and that was about 5000 miles ago. The strut top-out issue went away completely. Unfortunately the OME coils in front didn't provide as much lift as the ACs in the back, so I had to add the 1" strut spacers sold at NX4 industries to level it out. The OME HD's ride nice in my opinion. I definitely don't feel like they are too stiff and I've still got my stock bumper on.

Based on my trials and tribulations, I would highly suggest the OME coils over the AC coils, at least in the front. And again.......stay away from the Ranchos, for the Pathfinders the GR2s are a much better product.

Ok so quick question for the rear, I understand the lack of trust of rancho struts, but what about for the shocks? Would it be better to go with the Bilstein( I am not sure of the model number)? They seem cheaper, any comments?

I'd go with the OME coils for sure. :aok:

As for struts, go with KYB GR-2 and OEM mounts/bearings. Best bang for your buck and best durability. For shocks, I'd recommend Bilstein 5150. I am not a fan of Rancho and, quite frankly, Bilstein makes way better products.

I second what 180sx says....stay away from the Rancho struts. They are crap with a capital C. I burned through 3 of them on the passenger side and 1 on the driver's side, rancho kept replacing them under warranty. At that time, I had the AC 2" coils on the front and rear of my Pathy. My assumption is that the Rancho struts just can not cope with the constant top-out stresses that the AC coils cause (although AC will swear to their dying breath that their coils are well within the shock's limits). I know other members on this forum have had better luck with the GR2s withstanding that abuse.

I finally got fed up with putting new struts on every 2 months and switched to the GR2s. At the same time, I switched to the OME HD coils up front. Even though the GR2s can handle supposedly the AC coils, I didn't want to take any chances (plus I just hated the sound of the struts topping out). Nothing worse than riding around with your buddy bragging about your new lift then trying to explain that god awful bang every time you hit a slight pot-hole or go over a speed bump. I left the AC coils out back. No problems since and that was about 5000 miles ago. The strut top-out issue went away completely. Unfortunately the OME coils in front didn't provide as much lift as the ACs in the back, so I had to add the 1" strut spacers sold at NX4 industries to level it out. The OME HD's ride nice in my opinion. I definitely don't feel like they are too stiff and I've still got my stock bumper on.

Based on my trials and tribulations, I would highly suggest the OME coils over the AC coils, at least in the front. And again.......stay away from the Ranchos, for the Pathfinders the GR2s are a much better product.

Rancho struts are crap!! Don't buy the KYB strut mounts either. I now have to replace both struts and mounts using these AC coils in the front.

Hi Guys,

I've had the OME medium setup for 2yrs now on the QX4 and can say with out a doubt the are the best suspension I've ever had on a vehicle.

I went with the medium setup because its technically my wifes truck and I fancy my self as a rally driver so speed and durability is my primary concern.

It does look a little like a tow truck (easily and cheeply remedied) but the handling is second to none even after 110, 000km on them. I've done some exceptionally silly things with them.... usu too fast on very rough terrain and they've stood-up to the abuse better than the suppos'ed works suspension on my rally'ish car....

Install was fairly straight forward get replacement front end links before you start (you'll know when you get there.... and you put your shoulder and elbow out) and just grind em off..... also when you install the new ones triple check their tightness and flushness to the mounts (I had to replace one because it was loose or it had loosened).... last tip.... be very carefull when the rear bumper is 4' off the ground to get the rear springs out and in, I had the front on 2 jack stands and the rear diff balancing on a jack (upon reflection not a goood idea I was very close to being a red-nek statistic).

Hope this helps.

Markus

Hey just wanted to ask a quick question. So I was in the shop today talking to the guy about prices for Bilstein and KYB shocks for the rear and the bilsteins are about $70 bucks more then the KYBs. The question is are the KYB shocks alright to use or is it better to just pony up the cash and get the Bilsteins?

Also what size lift do i what to get for the OME 1.75" lift coils?

Thanks,

Question on the strut mounts....I have my 97 SE apart in the driveway with KYB GR-2's ready to install and OEM strut mounts. Do you all recommend replacing EVERY part of the OEM strut mounts??? There's like 7 or 8 parts to the mount. I ended up getting them all....for a grand total of over $250 for both mounts from Courtesy Nissan. I had my original struts replaced about 6 years ago and checked the paperwork and looks like they did not replace ANY parts of the mounts so believe what I just took off the vehicle is 13 years old as far as mounts are concerned. After breaking down my old ones...my observations are as follows:

-spacers - definitely needed

-upper insulator - probably needed...seemed kind of ok but tough to assess wear and Courtesy said most folks replace these when doing struts

-bearings - actually seem quite fine...but I already have the replacement ones for $64 a pair...wish I could save that $$$ but don't want to cheap outand regret later so will probably throw them in. Another part Courtesy said frequently replaced every time struts are done.

-top rubber spring seal - amazingly after 13 years the ones that were in there seemed just fine for a piece of rubber...would have expected them to be more dry and cracked. But for $32 and have them already so will likely throw them in.

-bottom rubber spring seat - well this is kind of more like a piece of plastic..old ones don't seem too bad...but new ones are going in anyway

-bracket front strut insulator..lower...Didn't order these originally but lower part of the plate had some corrosion and the rubber part inside was starting to come apart a bit so I got those...they function as other half of the upper insulator so seems prudent to replace.

Also replacing all nuts and bolts. Hope this post helps someone...and curious if anyone has any observations from doing this job themselves. What I learned is that when someone says OEM strut mount....there's a LOT of parts that go into that...not to mention $$$$$$$$$$$. But in my case where they all had a good 13 years of service on them...figured best to replace more parts rather than less....particularly being as I'm doing the job myself. I can only imagine what a dealer would charge to do a strut job where they replaced both struts and ALL parts of the mount including nuts and bolts....that's GOTTA be a $1,000 job give or take.

Edited by piste