timing belt tension

ANDY

hey guys i been battling this high pitched whine after i installed my new timing belt and tensioner, and its starting to get me mad cause it been messing with it for the last 2 weeks but anyways i dont want to leave the belt to loose and skip a teeth and i dont want to belt to tight and whine all the time. i did read the docs write up and i have it at the 5 oclocl position and it almost bends 90 degrees can anyone help me out and let me know what i can do to make the whine go away and tell me how to check the tesnion on my timing belt. any input would help so thanks guys,,andy

ps sorry if i made to many threads on my timing belt questions

its a new tensioner i just think i have the belt a little to tight cause i loosened it and it went away but my friend said when i reved it up it was kinda flappy and i dont know if thats good cause i dont want it to jump a tooth. is there a way to check the deflection of the belt?

From the book:

"Check the deflection of the timing belt by applying 22 lbs of force midway between the camshaft pulleys. The belt should deflect 0.512 to 0.571 inches, 13-14.5mm."

Also as a side note, make sure that your tensioner bolt is not actually an old exhaust manifold bolt. The PO of my truck used an exhaust bolt on the tensioner, which I failed to notice when I did my TB, so just 2000 miles after installation it snapped and now I am replacing the engine.

i measured about 13mm of flex and im pretty sure my tensioner was way too tight cause i was tinkering with the tensioner for about 1.5 hours and i got it to not make a whine it seems loose but i looked up on youtube an d i saw way looser belts then mine so i think its good now well i hope it is.

well i think i have a problem my belt was so loose and it was kinda going up and down i have the covers off. but is the spring supposed to be behind that bolt ???

well i think i have a problem my belt was so loose and it was kinda going up and down i have the covers off. but is the spring supposed to be behind that bolt ???

I'm not quite sure that you mean. The tensioner spring against the little stud? Best take a picture and there is a good write up in the Garage section about this...

B