Brake Caliper leaking at seal, replace the whole thing?

MadManMike

Hey guys,

So I went to put new brakes pads on and found that one of my calipers is leaking (as I as depressing it to put it back in) right around the rubber seal (around the piston). Do I replace the whole caliper? Or the piston? or just a seal?

Never had this problem before, wondering how to proceed.

-Mike

When I have a caliper issue, I replace the whole thing personally. That's just me though, I don't even know if you can get caliper rebuild kits anymore (in general, not pacifically for us here) and if it's worth the effort for the cost of some calipers.

When I have a caliper issue, I replace the whole thing personally. That's just me though, I don't even know if you can get caliper rebuild kits anymore (in general, not pacifically for us here) and if it's worth the effort for the cost of some calipers.

Yeah I was reading other places online and the consensus seems to be to replace the whole thing. Plus I need to get to school in the morning and the parts store closes in an hour and that looks like it will be my fastest option.

Thanks for the input, any other input is welcome.

sometimes you will get a little fluid by the seal when you push it back, if you put it on the pads and pump up the pedal, does it still leak?

You can get a seal kit, but if you need to do it quick, a complete caliper is the way to go.

I would just replace the seal, it is really easy, all it involves is making the piston come completely out, replacing the o-ring and dust boot, here is a link to the kit from my local auto parts, no idea what is near you:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Disc-Brake-Caliper-Repair-Kit-Tru-Torque_3660540-P_223_R|GRPBRHYAMS_1048178128___

sometimes you will get a little fluid by the seal when you push it back, if you put it on the pads and pump up the pedal, does it still leak?

You can get a seal kit, but if you need to do it quick, a complete caliper is the way to go.

Mine have done this both times I have done the brakes with my new and old calipers...

Mine have done this both times I have done the brakes with my new and old calipers...

Is this really normal? I have replaced pads several times and have never seen any fluid before.

When I pushed the cylinder all the way in it didn't seem to leak when pushing on the brake, initially I heard a "pop" noise and it gushed out fluid. I am just afraid it will do that again when I stomp on them while on the freeway. I installed a rebuilt caliper ($35 at the parts store.) Took me all of 15 mins to put it and the new pads on.

But I would like to know if that is normal.

if you build up pressure by pumping the pedal seveal times, and then stomp on it and hold the pedal very hard, like a panic stop, it will push your entire brake system to the maximum pressure it will ever sustain. If it doesn't leak, you should be good.

Sometimes the fluid will push past the seals when pushing the piston back if you push it too quickly. The fluid has to go somewhere.

however, for $35 bucks for a caliper, you can't really go wrong...

I wish mine had been that cheap when I needed to replace them.

Don't know if you know this but, you're suppose to loosen the bleeder screw every time you replace brake pads since the fluid has to go somewhere and preferably out. If you don't you'll cause costly damage to your brake system, ie caliper and brake master cylinder. Brake fluid is a whole lot cheaper to replace.

What I do when I replace brake pads is force the piston back in with the bleeder screw loosened by pushing the caliper up against the rotor. Then I grease the slide pins to prevent them sticking and seizing. Install brake pads and bolt everything back up and bleed the brakes if necessary.

Edited by Cuong Nguyen

Don't know if you know this but, you're suppose to loosen the bleeder screw every time you replace brake pads since the fluid has to go somewhere and preferably out.

Really? I actually didn't do that this time. Maybe that is what the problem was. This was my first time doing my brakes without someone watching me, but I honestly don't ever remember doing that before.

You live and learn I suppose.

-Mike

If there is any crud in the caliper when you push the pistons in, you'll force it back into the brake line, why you open the bleeder. I always put new fluid in when I do brakes anyway and bleed out all the old fluid.

I had a leak ages ago, fixed it with a new seal kit and cleaned up the slight pitting in the piston with a bit of 1200 gr wet and dry sand paper.

Works great :aok:

Cal.jpg

Really? I actually didn't do that this time. Maybe that is what the problem was. This was my first time doing my brakes without someone watching me, but I honestly don't ever remember doing that before.

You live and learn I suppose.

-Mike

Not opening the bleeder won't do anything other than what grimgreg said. It's not the cause of the leak, more likely a score int the piston, or just some fluid getting past the seal.

It's better to open the bleeder so the dirt/overheated fluid doesn't go back into the brake system.